Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:44 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Small Vertical Axis Wind Turbine

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 01:34am 14 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We have a number of 12M long steel high sided containers sitting in a paddock all on poles 400-500mm off the ground. I would like to have a go at building a couple of small vertical turbines and bolt them to the roof of one of the containers to augment the PV array, to charge the battery bank. Output 200-300 watts each seems a good design goal, the location is in in a valley and always seems windy, if its not sunny its windy it seems.

My thoughts are something 1.5M tall and 1M swept dia. There is a guy with an industrial laser just down the road, I could draw up a design pattern with CAD and he could cut everything out from a sheet of steel, so it would clip together and I could weld it up; next door to him is an industrial powder coating business.

Has anyone here made something like this, for the size indicated is the power output realistic.

Cheers
Mike

Technophiliac

Posted: 08:26am 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said   I would like to have a go at building a couple of small vertical turbines and bolt them to the roof of one of the containers

Why vertical when horizontal is more efficient?

I'm in the process of installing a 6m pole in the middle of a 6m container with guy wires to the corners for a horizontal turbine. I plan to use a Chinese 800W turbine. Not installed yet so can't give the verdict on the plan, but I think it will be OK. I can't see a 1.2m Fan blowing the container over, even on a 6m pole.....
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 09:30am 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technophiliac said  
Why vertical when horizontal is more efficient?

In the next 12 months there will be houses 30M away next door, those small horizontal wind turbines sound like loud vacuum cleaners, I don't want complaints. Vertical types spin a lot slower and so make a lot less noise, not worried about a loss in efficiency.

Mike

Technophiliac

Posted: 10:20am 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  My thoughts are something 1.5M tall and 1M swept dia.

Have a look at the Chinese verticals and claimed power outputs. I expect if your design has some sort of similar efficiency for that size you'd be looking at 500W or more. They also sell the vertical generators separately....not sure what generator you were intending?
Davo, Wellington. You can have it perfect, on time, and at the best price. Choose any two.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:39am 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technophiliac said  
Have a look at the Chinese verticals and claimed power outputs. I expect if your design has some sort of similar efficiency for that size you'd be looking at 500W or more. They also sell the vertical generators separately....not sure what generator you were intending?

Was going to make my own multi-phase generator and controller, just have to purchase some neo. magnets from China.

I did look at some Chinese designs, seems power outputs are all over the place, I wouldn't believe any of it, nor their quality.

Mike

Technophiliac

Posted: 10:57am 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  .... just have to purchase some neo. magnets from China.

I did look at some Chinese designs, seems power outputs are all over the place, I wouldn't believe any of it, nor their quality.

Mike

I wager over half the things you use are made in China. Following your logic I am not sure why you would trust their magnets?

Like everything there is variance and care is required in selection. Avoid anything with data that is not credible or light on detail or not well presented.

However I think you might be surprised with some of the quality of some of the Chinese wind gear.

Like anywhere else, in China you also get what you pay for.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cant say i have ever read anything favouranle about the chinese windturdbines. Seems most people find them stupidly over rated and minimally performing.

I would trust anything Mike would do infinitely more than the commercial products especially from China.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:06pm 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First step, install an anemometer, and also get some long term wind data from your local met office (probably located at the nearest airport).

Second step do some internet research from the users on already installed wind machines that operate at similar wind speeds.

Do not trust manufacturers data.  
"Dragon Brand" wind turbines may put out a million peak watts, in a typhoon just moments before the machine was totally destroyed.
So it then becomes a million watt rated turbine, ideal for the summer breeze your small suburban back yard.
Cheers,  Tony.

Technophiliac

Posted: 10:42pm 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I acknowledge and respect the comments made.

Is this review respectable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9e_owv9U7w

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 11:08pm 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re "Dragon branded", Well put Tony.

Our average wind speed approx 15 km/h, when the wind is present which is prob 70% of the time, have been working on site there for a year or so off and on, aluminum step ladders get blown over all the time, its bloody windy.
I was hoping someone on the forum may have built something similar. will do some more research.

Mike

greybeard

Posted: 11:23pm 15 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said   aluminum step ladders get blown over all the time, its bloody windy.

Invent a 'domino wind generator'. Then get a pile of ladders and stand them up in a line next to each other.    

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:55am 16 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An oil drum Savonius would be pretty easy to make, and cost almost nothing.
Do some testing with that.

Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:09am 16 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Deleted repeated ? Post
Edited 2021-04-16 20:58 by Davo99

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024