Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:49 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : So, how would you go about removing the stock magnets from the rotor?

Kamak

Posted: 02:56am 23 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's my idea. First, my rotors are metal, with a bit of plastic hub with a metal spline ring for the shaft retention.

I want to heat the epoxy adhesive, but without damaging the hub. I think I will try surrounding the hub with ice and running water, while I spin and heat the outer most rim, where the magnets are held. If I do it fast enough, it should work before the heat overcomes the cooling method.

Edited 2021-04-23 12:57 by Kamak

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:43pm 26 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think from memory, I just used a 1 inch wide chisel, knowing it would be damaged in the process, --and just start with getting the edge of the first magnet and ,you'll probably damage it ,getting it "unstuck" ..

Now it's fairly straight forward , you find they come off fairly well undamaged ... I did a few rotors with the factory fitted ordinary magnets this way.

fitting the NEO's . I think I used cut matchsticks or fairly even chopsticks cut into handy lengths to seperate the NEO's while setting them up -Can't remember now, but rubber gloves and a drop of super glue to fix them helps.. Then some epoxy and talc power or baby powder. (from my sailing boat building days) you can mix it to your own consistency.

Oh, measure around the internal circumference carefully first ,then divide the width of the magnets and space them.

OH Hang ON ,, I might have my memory out of whack a bit there---- think you have to do a bit of fiddling around the lining up with the poles in the stator --too far back for my memory, these days , I'm 76 , that was 30 years back.

Anyhow , you'll get the drift , sooner or later ,lol.

Bruce
Bushboy

Kamak

Posted: 12:36am 27 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the tips. I might just try that. These are metal rotors, so I wasn't too worried about using heat to remove them, other than the bit of plastic at the hub.

As for the spacing, yes it does have to be precise with relation to the windings, evenness, and number of pole pairs. there are 24 pole pairs on these rotors (48 mags in total), with 36 total windings of 12/leg x3 so I'll probably stick with that, but as long as the pole pairs aline with the common winding of each leg throughout rotation it'll work, just creates a different freq.

Cheers,

Mike C

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024