Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:49 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Suitable clutch plate to fit Fisher and Paykel smart drive spline

noodlepringle

Posted: 03:21am 03 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey folks,

I'm new in here but have been a tinkerer for years (I make mechanical and robotic sculpture, as well as repairing lots of various odd robots from theme park animatronics to vacuum robots).

I've been collecting Fisher and Paykel smart drive motors for some time because they just seem so useful, and they're being thrown out constantly. I have some plans to use some as 3 phase brushless DC motors, but also keen to explore wind generation.

I have a fair amount of solar projects doing their thing on my couple of acres in the country but am taking my first steps in wind generation (which I have lots of).

I'm tackling a couple of prototypes for wind turbines, but am hitting a sticking point with the rotor hub. I know I could always do something like tack weld something as close to 90 degrees onto the front of it, but I don't like to have things non-removable.

I've read different people discussing that a certain car clutch has the matching splines to fit directly to the front, but am yet to find any info on what kind of car or even any info related to it.

I've also seen (on this site) that of course I could get some laser cut steel pieces done with the spline cut to fit, but I don't normally work with splines and wouldn't be sure how to design this to fit.

Does anyone have any info on car clutches to suit (I'm in Australia so hopefully it's something that Toyota or GM do) or have any existing plate designs with the spline included that I could begin with and adapt as needed?

Many thanks,

Jesse

phil99

Guru

Posted: 04:47am 03 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try taking the motor shaft to a car wrecker that has a range of gearboxes already removed. Look for one that has the same spline, then you will know which clutch plate to get. The wrecker may have some old ones lying around. I imagine you only need the hub, so it won't matter if it is worn out.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:26am 04 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know if this is of any help to you :

https://wwspares.com.au/washing-machine/5148-fp-kit-spline-drive.html
Cheers,  Tony.

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 12:01am 08 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phill 99.

It's a long time since I scrounged around the wreckers yard ,but if I remember correctly , the Toyota corona 4 cal small sedan car came the closest fit .(the universal tail shaft or clutch plate coupling ,I just cannot remember. (Bet I still have it in one of my junk boxes,lol.).

Other than that , we have an old timer up around Mackay in Old ,he's on our backside,the smart guy that builds the electric cars, can,t remember his names nice bloke. He used to machine hubs for F&P windgennies,that we all played with years ago. I'll come back to you, when I remember his name..

Oh, and if you want a flexible joint , I found a universal joint from a car steering column is just the thing.

Have fun ,
Bruce

His name is Trev @basiclynatural .com. He's the main guy in the EV part of this forum ...

Bruce
Edited 2021-06-08 10:05 by brucedownunder2
Bushboy

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:45am 08 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It would be helpful if you could count the splines and give some dimensions.
Cheers,  Tony.

noodlepringle

Posted: 02:57am 10 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  It would be helpful if you could count the splines and give some dimensions.

Hey there - I've just checked and the outer diameter of the splines is just over 22mm (maybe 22.1mm or 22.2mm), the inner diameter (between the splines) is 20mm.

There are 20 splines around the shaft.

Many thanks

noodlepringle

Posted: 03:00am 10 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said  
the Toyota corona 4 cal small sedan car came the closest fit .(the universal tail shaft or clutch plate coupling ,I just cannot remember. (Bet I still have it in one of my junk boxes,lol.).

Other than that , we have an old timer up around Mackay in Old ,he's on our backside,the smart guy that builds the electric cars, can,t remember his names nice bloke. He used to machine hubs for F&P windgennies,that we all played with years ago. I'll come back to you, when I remember his name..

Have fun ,
Bruce

His name is Trev @basiclynatural .com. He's the main guy in the EV part of this forum ...

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much - that's a great start now that lockdowns are lifting here (I'm in Victoria) I'll pay a visit to the wreckers with that info.

That's also great about the guy that machined hubs for you - he'd be a great person to speak to. I've tried to go to basiclynatural.com as you suggested (and a few variations of that) but they don't seem to be right - is that the correct domain name?

I'll see if I can track down Trev in the EV part.

Thanks again

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:55am 10 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just did a quick internet search, and a lot of fairly old Pommy and small European cars used 20 spline clutch plates.

Probably the most common one to find here in Oz might be an early Ford Cortina Mk2 (1966-1970) 1600cc engine.
This uses a 7/8" 20 spline shaft (22.225mm)
Cheers,  Tony.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 08:58am 10 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

noodlepringle said  
That's also great about the guy that machined hubs for you - he'd be a great person to speak to. I've tried to go to basiclynatural.com as you suggested (and a few variations of that) but they don't seem to be right - is that the correct domain name?

I'll see if I can track down Trev in the EV part.

Thanks again

Trev's company is called "Drive by Nature", search for that.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:23am 10 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Take it to a clutch place and tell them you want a heavy Duty racing or Button clutch to fit that shaft.

Watch their faces when they ask you what it's off and you tell them "a washing machine".

Thats the sort of thing I would totally do!!  :0)

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:03am 10 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Funnily enough there is a company here in Melbourne that makes nothing else but clutch parts. They manufacture the replacement clutch kits for Repco, and possibly supply clutch parts in bulk direct to to Aussie manufacturers. They have a service counter, and those guys are really good.

Tell them you are doing some kind of weird conversion adapting a strange gearbox to a very unusual engine, and they will tell you exactly what mixture of parts are needed that bolt straight up.  Been there several times over the years and they always come up trumps.

If you tell them its for a windmill, they would not even bat an eyelid.

But seriously, that looks like a 7/8 imperial inch diameter, and not something off a rice rocket which would be in whole millimeters.
Cars like MG and Fiat and Pommy ford used 7/8 inch 20 spline gearbox shafts.  
All really old small four cylinder stuff.

Modern cars have a lot more power and use larger gearbox shafts.
Cheers,  Tony.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:01am 13 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any success in the great spline hunt ?
Cheers,  Tony.

fillm

Guru

Posted: 08:08am 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Been a while and ood to see some familiar names still a kicking around.
I have been around the F&P for quite some time, from experience people do not consider how much torque to drive the f&p as a generator is actually required. A spline such as on the std f&p shaft would easily transmit 50 - 100kw of power but in reality you are only dealing with 300 - 500W at absolute best per stator.
I take it you want a solution for a blade hub drive , then just using a neat fitting collar with 2 grub screws and a couple of flats ground or filed on the shaft is more than enough
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024