Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:09 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Single Phase Fisher & Pykel

Page 1 of 2    
Rastus

Guru

Posted: 01:07pm 01 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi to all members. It has been yonks' since I have posted, (bad health) but I'm hoping this forum is the place to ask about Fisher & Pykels because of the vast experience members have had with them.(even though they have mostly moved on from them) If a F&P was wired  as a single phase generator, would the maximum output still be around 2 to 3 amps? Kind regards to everyone, Rastus
see Rastus graduate advise generously

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 07:30am 02 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure why you would want to wire it as single phase.
It would be better to leave it as a 3 phase generator and then rectify it if you want DC output. Three phase rectifiers are pretty cheap.
If you want an AC output then it is a different matter. If you were trying to get AC output it would not be at 50  hz, unless it was being turned very slowly.
From memory they have lots of pole pieces. So the synchronous speed would be very slow.
If haven't had much to do with them for a while but my memory says that they were 12 poles at least. That would give a synchronous speed of 500 rpm.
More information on what you want to do would help.
Pete

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 07:45am 02 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Godoh, thank you for replying. Yes, I'm considering AC output, trying to make do with repurposing. I'll look into how many poles the F&P have, unless someone can tell me directly. Are you suggesting the output will be 1/3-2/3 of total possible power? Kind regards Rastus
Edited 2021-10-02 19:03 by Rastus

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 05:41pm 02 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm shooting from the hip buy thinking out loud and hope it doesn't annoy people. If  
I rewired a F&P with 18 poles 2 phase, would the rotor be compatible with this set
up and would the output be better than 2-3amps? Unfortunately I've forgotten more
than I remember about F&P's as generators and  at my age time is running out to  
search for information that others have at their finger tips. Kind regards Ron

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:04pm 02 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Output is limited to how much current each individual coil can handle before it gets destructively hot.  If you are using only one of the three phases, total output current will be limited to one third of what might otherwise be available.

The three sets of windings cannot all be rewired into a single phase.  Its like a three cylinder piston engine where the pistons all go up and down at different times.

Connecting different phases in series will cause the voltages to cancel out, so that will not achieve anything useful. There is no simple solution to this I am afraid
Cheers,  Tony.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 07:37am 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The problem you will have to overcome with rewiring the machine is that you still need to produce a sinewave.
If you try rewiring it for two phases you will end up with ( at best) two sinewaves that are 120 degrees or 240 degrees apart. You also end up with a wasted set of pole pieces.
You would probably be better using three transformers or a three phase transformer to send the AC to where you want it then rectifying it there.
If you tried to rewind it with only one phase and used every pole piece the waveform would be all wrong.
Pete

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:27am 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Suggesting from Pure Ignorance.....

I have played around a lot with 3 Phase motors as generators. The three phase output is connected to Capacitors  to get a Single phase AC output which is considerably more than the output of a single phase. The caps effectively delay/ Align the phase outputs so they all line up into one. I'm sure that is technical heresy but the way I understand it and essential the end result.

3 phase motors can also be run from single phase supply with the addition of appropriate caps.

I don't know if this works the same with a Permanent magnet motor hence my Ignorance but because of said Ignorance I can't see why not Other than one needs the caps to energise the windings and the other does not.

I await to be educated by those with better knowledge.... Or a suggestion how this could be done to help the OP. There are some documents online with graphs on choosing the right caps for different size/ speed/ and voltage motors.  I have found there is a fair tolerance thought. Higher Uf gives more power at lower engine speed but Voltage overshoots quickly and lower cap's  mean higher speed/ frequency but more stability.

Out of Curiosity, why the need for the AC output?  What are you looking to power?

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 10:57am 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Warpspeed, thank you for developing the conversation and explanation. I was suggesting to have every second pole having 9 pairs for each of the 2 phases but don't no if the stator would work on that arrangement. If so 370rpm might work for 50hz-60hz?

Hi Godoh, yes I was thinking of using only one of the 2 phases. I looked at 3phase to single phase transformers but could only find one, others are advertised as
"converters".
("I don't know much about them") However I have used 12V to 240V inverters to run appliances

Hi Davo99, I have read the "Capacitor post" on this site, they increased amperage output but I don't think the application was to retain AC current but not a 100% sure
of that.

I am contemplating making a motorized generator 230-240V 50-60Hz without having to use an inverter meaning the current goes from AC to DC then AC. It is probably "the impossible dream but I thought I would ask. I hope admin doesn't mind me posting here because most of the F&P plus power experts use this Forum. If they want me to post in "other" I would need a lot of help to repost. Kind regards Ron
Edited 2021-10-03 20:59 by Rastus

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:57pm 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rastus said  I looked at 3phase to single phase transformers but could only find one, others are advertised as
"converters".

Three phase to single phase cannot be done directly.  But three 120 degree phases to two 90 degree phases is possible with a Scott-T transformer, sometimes called the Scott Tee connection.

Its a lot of trouble to go to, and it does not spread the load equally across the three phases anyway, so is not really of much help for what you are trying to do.
Cheers,  Tony.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 09:44pm 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you are just going to make a generator then why not make one with a DC motor driving an Alternator. That would be much easier.

There are Single phase to Three phase converters about but they are basically an inverter and you are trying to get away from those.
Using a generator is less efficient than using an inverter. The windage and friction losses plus the copper losses in a motor generator will add up, you may only end up with 60% efficiency.
Where as a good inverter will be around 95% efficient.

If you are making a generator then why not use a three phase motor to drive it if you want to stick with an AC motor. The only thing that will be hard is keeping the frequency  stable to the motor to maintain your output frequency.
From what I remember the F&P motors that I played with were only around 300 watts so it may be a fruitless exercise, better achieved in other ways.
have fun
Pete

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rastus said  

I am contemplating making a motorized generator 230-240V 50-60Hz without having to use an inverter meaning the current goes from AC to DC then AC.

As suggested, the better option would be to use a 3 Phase Motor. All you would need to do would be add some caps to get a single phase output.  Look up "C2C".  it's very simple and easy to set up.

Any generator like this without an inverter is going to be very unstable in frequency and voltage and is really a balancing act with the load.  If you want to run lights or a resistive element as constant loads, Great. If you want to switch different loads in and out like run a fridge with other things so the power demands may very, they are terrible and basicly useless.

I have run 3 phase motors through a 3 phase rectifier ( or a bunch of single phase units) and into a solar inverter to get a single phase output.  OK if you are connectimg to mains,  horrible if trying to run stand alone due to the inverters need for accuracy in output and most of all frequency.

I am building 2 Generators atm. A proper 3 Phase 10 KW unit for stand alone operation and a 12 Kw 3 Phase IMAG which will be for backfeeding the mains. This can be directly coupled and run as a motor until over driven by the engine at which point it pushed power back and is Frequency locked so no issues there. Also much more efficient than with the C2C method.

Finding generator heads here in oz is stupidly Difficult especially  2 bearing models that can be Pulley driven off an engine as against being direct coupled to one which means they are generally 3000Rpm 2 pole screamers and need the correct Taper on the crank shaft of the engine.  I looked at importing some 2 bearing units from Chynaah but the freight is ridiculous like anything else that can't be sent in a post pack and no one seems to do them here I can find.

Seems to be so much in the way of simple and basic machinery we can't get here even though it's all over the rest of the world.

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 02:44am 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Warpspeed, Godoh and Davo99, thanks for the explanations. I had my suspicions but
now convinced that it would not provide the results I am after. I am also satisfied
with the alternative suggestions that I will follow up. Kind regards Rastus
Edited 2021-10-04 20:37 by Rastus

Rastus

Guru

Posted: 10:40am 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Davo99, are your gen projects on the forum? Also what 3 phase motor will produce 15 amps per leg. Any help will be appreciated! Kind regards Rastus

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:19pm 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While its possible to run a three phase motor as a self excited alternator, its only practical for one very specific application, charging a battery from an internal combustion engine.

The windings need to be resonated with capacitors, and the engine must be run at a fixed rpm to coincide with the resonant frequency. The ac output can be rectified and applied to a battery.  The battery regulates the output voltage, preventing any wild excursions of voltage with small changes of rpm or load.

There is no way to control the charging current, the whole thing needs to be shut down when the battery voltage rises to a maximum.

Without the battery, you might easily see several hundred volts which can easily blow up any load.  As you increase the load, the voltage rapidly falls.  At some point the machine will fail to self excite and output will drop to zero.
The whole thing is very hairy, almost impossible to control, and impractical.  
It will however, work quite well charging a battery provided the whole thing is set up to run at a useful specific rpm and voltage.
Cheers,  Tony.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 11:03pm 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Warp, there are other applications for three phase induction generators.
Years ago Rainbow Power company built induction turbines with pelton wheels for micro hydro applications.
The generator outputs around 380 volts AC from memory. That takes care of long runs from the turbine to the control box.
The control box has a regulator that drops the 380 volts to 12 volt or 24 volt Dc to charge batteries, their controller also includes a dump load that the controller switches to when the battery is charged.
Nice little units, only around 300 watts but over a 24 hour period they are very useful for small stand alone power systems.
F&P motors work well for hydro turbines when the windings are reconfigured, but need quite a bit of head to overcome the cogging caused by the permanent magnets.
Pete

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:06am 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes its possible, with the voltage reduced to feed INTO A BATTERY, and then use a dump load when the battery is full.

But if you just want some general purpose ac to drive say some 230v lighting, its not going to work.

The problem is, you fire up your wind/hydro/engine and the rpm rises, at some speed the thing suddenly hits resonance and you instantly go from zero to 340 volts ac for example at no load.  It will not start up under load.  Must be disconnected from any load to enable the resonant energy to first build up.

Assuming your bulbs don't blow you switch in some load, the voltage falls to 290v.
A little bit more load 200v, more load still 90v, more load, the voltage suddenly collapses to zero with the generator still running at normal speed.

Unless you judge the load to exactly match the power that is available, the voltage will either be destructively high, or collapse completely. Its fun to try out, but bloody useless as a general source of usable power.

There are plenty of u-tube videos showing some hero demonstrating how a huge 10Hp three phase induction motor can light a single 100 watt bulb. Or similar.
What they do not show you is how a 60 watt bulb will instantly blow from over voltage, and two 100 watt bulbs connected, glow only dull orange.
Cheers,  Tony.

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 04:08am 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep, I can't see any sense in trying to run 230 volt loads from an induction generator.
It is hard enough getting a normal regulated alternator to do that job.
I prefer to leave generators for emergency battery charging and welding.
The rest of the time an inverter and battery works great.
The last time I helped someone with a hydro turbine and induction generator they had something like 350 metres of three phase flexible cord winding its way through the forest to his shed.
Hopefully no one finds it with a spade, that could be quite an interesting experience.
Sometimes it is best to offer suggestions, like hire a ditch witch and bury it, then just forget the experience and walk away.
Cheers
Pete

phil99

Guru

Posted: 07:34am 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Without a battery system induction generators can only be used to supliment an existing AC supply. The driving motor govenor is set to about 4% above synchronous speed to achieve full output. For stability it is best if the induction generator supplies less than 50% of the total load. Frequency and voltage are determined by the primary generator.
Phil

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:45am 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rastus said  Hi Davo99, are your gen projects on the forum?

Maybe some  pictures I did recently of the layouts with the engine and motor but nothing too helpful.

Also what 3 phase motor will produce 15 amps per leg.

A pretty bloody big one!!

Depends what you are trying to do, stand alone or Grid Coupled.

My 12 Kw 3 phase is rated at 21A per leg As a MOTOR. As a stand alone I think it would be pushing it to get that as a generator. Might scrape it in but might not. Grid coupled, should be plenty of headway.

That motor weighs 170Kg so it's not light. The engine I am driving it with is another 125KG but that is not  enough to drive it to full output. Off the top of my head,  you would probably want something around 15 Hp, Maybe a bit more to get that out of the 3 phase as a stand alone genny. For grid coupled the efficiency is the same as when used as a motor.

When used stand alone, you have to balance speed and torque with you engine. I have found to get max power out of a 3 Phase you often have to spin it quite quickly which inevitably means the frequency is off.  also tends to push the voltage high.
There is a catch 22 there.  To keep the voltage down you lower the connected capacitance. Lower the connected capacitance and the output becones more touchy and harder to energise the Field on startup which means you often have to rev the crap out of the motor to bring the field up unless you want to flash the windings every time which can be entertaining if you try flashing them with a 12 V battery when the thing is already singing along at 250V + TIP: Use thin wire so it just blows off easily like a ready made fuse.

If you are running an IMAG grid connected, the efficiency is better and so is the output control. Once the motor is Grid locked, driving it faster is very limited but the harder you drive it torque wise the greater the AMPERAGE output. The voltage rise will be very small and certainly not going to run away.

If you had a specific load you wanted to offset, then you could run the grid Connected IMAG and then hit your load and use the IMAG to compensate the power being used so your power meters were not spinning off the wall. It the only spiny type power meters you could push power back to the grid and get credits... Pretty much exactly the same as a solar inverter does.

Grid Connected gives all the benefits or a regular generator with the low cost of a ( used) 3 phase motor.

What are you wanting 15A per leg for? Certainly not going to get that out of a F&P motor!!  

Even if you had a grid connected IMAG that only did 10 Per phase, that's a 2.4KWh saving off your power bill.  Another application where this may be useful is High load situations.
My shed is really underwired for the distance for the house. Fine for small loads but when I run the Compressor, plasma and welder  with one or the other even on stand by Or the compressor Kicks in when I have one going, The voltage drop can cause problems.
Because I have 3KW of solar on the roof connected to that circuit, the overall power at that point is always good to the point where I get the opposite problem being Voltage rise.  Using one of the heavier loads pulls it back down and I can run to the capacity of the wire without problem.

A Grid connected IMAG could do the same thing. Even a small 4 KW 3 Phase could provide plenty of power in such a setup.

Again, as standalone, these are only good for FIXED resistance loads. Water heater, bar or oil heater, Incandescent lighting etc.  Anything that is frequency dependent or loads that may switch on and off are NOT going to be suitable for an IMAG. That said, if say you had a 12 A load and you switched a 1A load and voltage wasn't terribly critical, you would probably be OK.

There is NO on the fly regulation with these.  You set the output by Engine speed and caps connected.  I usually shoot over voltage a bit and dump the load and get ready to increase engine speed some more. You could also switch capacitors in and out to do fie tuning.  I have also seen where people connect a Cap to the load.  That means that each load has it's own balanced capacitance  so it's load is compensated  when it is in circuit.  That could help with loads being switched in and out but I still would only be doing dumb and insensitive loads like Resistance.

For grid Connected, there are NO caps, just a direct connection like a motor and the Motor phase locking with the grid will take care of all the regulation.

Let me know what sort of load you have in mind and I can give you a heads up it it would be worth while or not and if so some suggestions how to set an IMAG up .
I believe these can be very effective and Cheap for the RIGHT application but for many, are useless.

Very much a matter of horses for courses.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 11:19am 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  
The ac output can be rectified and applied to a battery.  The battery regulates the output voltage, preventing any wild excursions of voltage with small changes of rpm or load.

I have not tried this.
As a 3 phase is typicaly 240/ 2XX v  per leg and rectifying it add 30%? voltage increase are you saying that the caps could allow the motor to run UNDER nameplate voltage or would the battery have to be 220V at least?

Quote  Without the battery, you might easily see several hundred volts which can easily blow up any load.

With the normally suggested capacitance on an IMAG, it's VERY easy to over shoot to 600V or more. Done it many times and surprised I haven't blown the 400V caps I use.  Lucky it was only for a second or 3 but still.

Quote  As you increase the load, the voltage rapidly falls.  At some point the machine will fail to self excite and output will drop to zero.

Yes, this is what I have in mind. If it's possible to run the IMAG under nameplate Voltage, it must take a LOT of capacitance to do that.

Quote  The whole thing is very hairy, almost impossible to control, and impractical.

I would agree is somewhat hairy but rather than impossible to control I'd say has fairly tight balancing requirements. I would also agree and Disagree with being Impractical.  If you wanted to run lights  that were all turned on  and all turned off and no variation or run say a water heater that again ran it's course and then dropped out, No difficulty with those once set up with caps and fixed throttle on the engine.

It's really no different to driving a Vehicle.
Along the flat it requires so much throttle to do a certain speed and as long as the road remains flat and the throttle position set, the speed will remain the same. Come to a Hill and it will require more throttle or the speed will drop and if the vehicle is heavy enough, may stall.

As long as the road is the same, wether flat or a constant hill so the throttle input does not need to change, then the IMAGS work in a similar fashion and quite well. Like roads being never the same gradient, usually electrical loads are not constant either which makes IMAGs LIMITED ( quite a bit) in their application  however if there is a fixed load they can by applied to like a truck crossing the Nullabor, then in that niche they can be quite workable.

It will however, work quite well charging a battery provided the whole thing is set up to run at a useful specific rpm and voltage.

In this case the battery is a (relatively) constant/fixed load.

But if you just want some general purpose ac to drive say some 230v lighting, its not going to work.

General  purpose AC, No, they are Crap and relatively useless.
To drive some FIXED lighting, would most certainly work and I have a setup in the shed right now I can demonstrate that. Once the engine speed is set to a given value of capacitance and the load remains relatively fixed, the thing will run all day quite happily.  I ran a test couple of months back.  4 Kw engine, 4Kw 3 phase.
I started off with a couple of 150W lights and then plugged in an adjustable  temp heat gun.  By slowly ramping up the engine speed and the heat gun,  I had it all running quite happily and left it like that for about 20 Min.  Was quite stable.

Quote  The problem is, you fire up your wind/hydro/engine and the rpm rises, at some speed the thing suddenly hits resonance and you instantly go from zero to 340 volts ac for example at no load.  It will not start up under load.  Must be disconnected from any load to enable the resonant energy to first build up.

Absolutely.
Once the IMAG energises, the voltage will run away at the blink of an eye and drop nearly as quick as well. When unloaded it's almost impossible to dial in a fixed and sustained Voltage although can be done close enough.  With a load the voltage is more stable but if the load is low, say 300W on a 4 KW motor, it's VERY easy to push the thing 50V higher with a very slight increase in engine RPM.

Quite a few time I have gone though trouble shooting wondering why the thing won't energise  before I realise I left the load switched in. It is possible To energise with a load if you rev the engine hard and flash the windings and its slow to come up and then you have to be ready for the over shoot. Not recommended.

Quote  Assuming your bulbs don't blow you switch in some load, the voltage falls to 290v.A little bit more load 200v, more load still 90v, more load, the voltage suddenly collapses to zero with the generator still running at normal speed.

The voltage does not have to be over 300 and can be much lower to start. IMAGS are much like solar panels. The output will fall with load till it virtually collapses. As long as the load is not massive, it takes a few sec for the field to totaly collapse. With a volt meter attached you can catch the falling voltage by increasing the engine RPM. With an IMAG left untouched, the voltage will totally collapse not just give you 8V or something like a solar panel.

It's certainly not impossible to connect bulbs without blowing them, You just have to have the Capacitance right and watch the engine speed. That's the CRITICAL factor.
It's not that hard with a Bit of practice and if one practices with 500W or at least 150W bulbs, it's not hard to learn and get the hang of.  The fact I can do it proves any one with an above 90 IQ can. Just connect a volt meter, have the voltage around 260 is my prefered, hook in the load then bring up the engine RPM to where you want the voltage.

Quote  Unless you judge the load to exactly match the power that is available, the voltage will either be destructively high, or collapse completely. Its fun to try out, but bloody useless as a general source of usable power.

Again I suggest the key and most important factor is engine speed. I usually get something between 250 and 300V to switch in a Lighting load.  Can be higher, portafloods are quite robust in their voltage tolerance.
As soon as the load is switched in the voltage will fall. If it goes below 200 I'll adjust the revs up and wait for the thing to stabilise and re adjust again.

I have done this with half a dozen different engines, all with governors, and found once the engine speed is dialled in, the output is very constant. Also don't see any flickering unlike is common with some engine and proper generator combinations.
Don't seem to matter if the loads are tapped off in Star or Delta, all work the same.

Yep, as a General source of power, completely and utterly impractical.
I have heard of controllers that will allow general usage. They tend to run the setup near full output and then  just divert the power from a Dump load to the required load. What I read of these ) Older) controllers, they worked quite well but were very expensive so removed any cost advantage over a regular genny plus if the dump load were not utilised for something else, were inefficient.

It was some time back when I was really into all this and many of the papers I read were 20 Yo then. I would say a controller now could be done fairly easily by the Arduino educated. Set up a 16 ( or more ) channel relay that switched in Dummy loads or controlled a set load by PWM to keep the output constant.

Quote  There are plenty of u-tube videos showing some hero demonstrating how a huge 10Hp three phase induction motor can light a single 100 watt bulb.

I have a YT vid from way back with a 4Hp engine driving a 4 Kw motor outputting over 2KW with no problem. I believe I could get 3 Kw out of a 4 KW IMAG as long as frequency was not an issue. Might be able to get more power if the motor was capped to produce max power.

Quote  What they do not show you is how a 60 watt bulb will instantly blow from over voltage, and two 100 watt bulbs connected, glow only dull orange.

If not set up correctly with the right capacitance, this would be possible especially with a very small say 1.5 Hp Motor.  If it were a 10 HP motor, if you blew the 60w From over voltage, 2x 100W Bulbs would definitely not glow dull, they would still be plenty bright.  There is more reactive power and tolerance than that and the bigger the motor, the less touchy they are wherever you set them up in the output band.

They are finicky but in my experience, no where near THAT finicky.  

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024