Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:31 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : my new blades

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 10 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

a couple pics of the progress I'm making with my new blades
Bushboy

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 01:18pm 10 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's the twist , the top pic was the "art" blades, not supposed to post that .
Bushboy

adelaide

Posted: 09:00pm 10 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well done cant weight to hear some results?
help to make progres or radio and vitamin b

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:19am 12 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bruce

Thats a big windmill, good to see you finally finished those blades. Very interrested to see how it goes, big blades and a 1:2 drive on a F&P, might just work.

Love the hat.

Glenn.

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

mink

Posted: 02:46pm 20 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bruce
Been watching your handywork for a long time now, and as always the thing looks great. Why did you opt for that tip shape? I saw something recently that said that shape (with more rounding) would lower noise and improve efficiency. However, by the shape of the blades your'e obviously going for a TSR of maybe 6 or something? where noise is'nt going to be an issue. Just interested in your thinking there.
Also what shape are the neo's you used, and where did you buy them? Was it difficult to remove/fit them, and was it a worthwhile exercise?
Mink

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 02:29pm 21 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mink. the tip shape I got from a posting I read about a long time ago -must dig up the details,but basically it went opposite to Hugh Piggots design-straight leading edge and the taper on the trailing edge. I have a full50mm drop in the chord width at the hub ,tapering to nothing at the tip ,blade is around 1700 mm length.

Have a look at the postings on this site for "Matt Lyons" ,he bought the neo's up to my place at Mt.Tamborine and we retrofitted then one evening-a bit tricky but he showed me how to do it . I'd say they definately are an improvement on the ceramics,but the cogging is still there.I've seen 800 watts out of the .6mm stator,and that was screaming,flat out. On a heavier wire stator ,I really think 1Kw is quite possible,we'll see.

No wind here for the last 10 days-

Bruce

Edited by brucedownunder2 2006-04-23
Bushboy

Chris

Posted: 07:34am 22 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I havnt seen matt here in a while, whered he go?

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 10:57pm 22 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Chris,  I telephoned him some time back and he was working on CBD Melb. highrise installing a few VAWT's with F&P motors for some engineering Co.

Sort of working for his hobby .but getting paid for it.

He has bought a acerage property south of melb. , so maybe he is working on this also.

Bruce

Bushboy

Saaremaa

Posted: 05:50am 23 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent work with those blades Bruce. They look light and efficient.  Your work on these projects so far has been exemplary.

Blade design seems to be an art and a science. There are so many designs around that it is confusing for a novice to make a choice about which shape to begin with.  And there's also a lot of choice involved in the materials that they can or should be made from. And again in the way in which they are made - handcrafted, made on a jig, poured into a mould etc etc.

While doing extensive websurfin on the subject I've found this brilliant webpage - set up by a  doctor of engineering who seems very focussed on model airplanes. In true German fashion - he focusses down to the finest detail of design.

He has set up an online java script which you can design your own airfoil shapes with.  It's quite a vast site so you have to spend a bit of time working out what's what.

see:

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/

Judging by the variety of blades around various websites - for me it's been easy to get the impression that any old shape would do .

Notice that he has a special section on 'Other airfoils' . This shows that there certain profiles which are optimised for use with wind generators - and that to get the most power out of the wind - you can't use just any old shape.  

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024