Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:21 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : 2 f/p car air con clutch 12 foot

adelaide

Posted: 11:31pm 29 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Still got to paint the blades, make bigger hub extensions , a guard over  the belt  and adjust the clutch cut in pot, my most advanced mill named after bobn R.I.P.

It has a 100 s delta (lo cut in low amps 14amps  at 12 v for lo wind around 60% efficient) on a direct drive shaft which uses flat belt on a  grooved magnetic ring it has a 2 to 1 ratio to a car air conditioning clutch on the front of the other f/p 80p series (hi cut in 42 + amps around 90 % efficient minus belt loss for hi wind) , with spring tension on pivot. On a 3 inch pole with a smaller square tube inside and bolt through it to support the sealed Bearing (like a car tire on aaroundabout) riding on a 3 inch pole /yaw.

It has 2 , 3phase rectifiers and a single 1 phase  rectifier to power the clutch from the direct drive alt. it simply goes through a pot to a capacitor ( to stop the bounce )and then to a super low current relay, To switch the 2 amps to the clutch and engage the second alternator,  In hi wind.

It has been tested by hand spinning and  so far once erected  no wind (first rule applies).

The prop is made out of heavier pallet timber for the blades they are thicker than they looks at the hub, glued and screwed to the plywood hub at front.

It has furling and electric brake (short all phases on direct drive alt so far), need to include bottom alternator and clutch override on the timer . Any ideas at all ? A timer /simple so  it does not leave 2 amps going to bottom alternator but is used to stop and then turn off..

The change over or brake circuit needs to be a relay / capacitor type device . (read cheap here)

A small bit of advise to those of you that are thinking of using an F/P motor. It is important to tie the lock down nut to the rear of the rotor as it has a chance of unwinding under certain circumstances

Edited by adelaide 2006-05-01
help to make progres or radio and vitamin b

adelaide

Posted: 11:46pm 29 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

adelaide

Posted: 11:48pm 29 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

whirlybird

Posted: 01:46am 30 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dont you gota love this
There is the potential to have 4 f/p's on the same set of props here
To say the least I am chuffed
I think that as this system evolves we will see a lot of power from an old scrap washing machine or two.
Every one says F/P coggs to much and are hard to get started well I have seen this Man get them to run in a slight breeze and make some power and go on to make a lot of power in a strong wind.If you set the blades up right then there is no start up problem.
What about a bit of input from some of you other guys out there.
All the best from Whirlybird.

I am because I am.I am not always right but often I am.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:13am 30 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You know since I starting playing around with the F&P, and put together this web site, I have been surprised by the number of other people out there who have also build F&P windmills. Just goes to show how creative people can be, and gives me a warm fuzzy feelng inside.

Great minds think alike eh?

Looks good adelaide, very clever. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

mink

Posted: 09:06am 30 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Adelaide
Can you tell us something about your blades? They look very narrow at the root compared to what we're used to seeing. I assume they're fairly high speed?
Michael

adelaide

Posted: 11:15pm 30 Apr 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have experimented with lots of props and think the angle is the most important thing   Here is a link to the blade calculator that I frequently use.
http://www.alton-moore.net/wind_calculations.html
I personally go with the width (cord) of 2 blades on 3 blades these angles seems to be the best ( on 3 blade prop).

My props are just thick wood that was available , I will add bigger hub extensions to the blades, these are tin, glued and screwed at front root to give the f/p much needed starting talk. Those that you see on the blades at moment, Were what was laying around and I will make them 3 times bigger shortly.

It works well and makes a clicking sound when the clutch engages or disengages.

When the clutch is engaged the bottom alternator is moving a lot faster.

Just great fun to watch the amp meter

Have fun.
Edited by adelaide 2006-05-03

adelaide

Posted: 11:15pm 01 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

got asked to post few closer pics this is it 1/2 done

adelaide

Posted: 11:31pm 03 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here are a few more lo quality (sorry)of roof cam pics with the bigger hub/ root extensions installed ,wow so much more talk ,wood is varnished and I have tried to paint it all blue but it always rains a few hours later washing it off hahah , just need to add a few diodes to clutch the trigger relay so as to cut in a little later and I will be happy with that setup

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024