Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:31 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Just getting started

PeterD

Posted: 10:56am 02 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all.
My first post.
First let me say thanks to you Glen for this fascinating site. Full of excellent info and great photos.
A windmill constructors dream....
We (myself & Mrs) will be moving to Portland (400 k west of Melb) in a few months. This is the land of windiness, with several wind-farms there amd more to follow.
I have purchased a 5 acre block there and will be building a house in a few months.
So far I have a big shed with room for 3 cars and a workshop. We have a caravan to live in while the house gets built.
I will be building a wind generator to your design.
I have an F&P motor in excellent condition.

Question: How can I tell what model motor it is? The wire looks less than 1 mil but its hard to tell?

Question 2: In some of your pictures it looks like the coils have been rewound. Is this so?

Question 3: How do you keep the weather out of the f&p stator?

I will put some pics up on my web site soon to show my progress. Or maybe upload them if i can work out how

Thanks again

Peter

Edited by PeterD 2006-05-03
Let the wind blow high
Let the wind blow low
Through the streets in my kilt I go

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:11pm 02 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter.

I've been to Portland. Nice place, a lot to see, but a bit cold for a Queenslander. We drove past one of the big windfarms, I wish I could have got a closer look, but it was closed to the public.

We call the F&P types 100, 80 and 60. But this is not how F&P name them, they use model numbers. A 100 has 1mm wire, the 80 has 0.8mm wire, and 60 is 0.6mm wire.

I dont have a photo of a 100, but this is a 80

And this is a 60, yeah they look rewound, but thats normal

That answers your questions 1 and 2.

To keep the water out, I paint the stator with some clear varnish, but any good paint will do. Dont forget the ends of the poles where the laminations poke through, as these will rust in time. There is a 0.5mm gap between the laminations and magents, so dont go overboard on paint in this area. We also paint the magent hub and any plastic, as UV will damage them, 1 year in the sun will cause the plastic to start flaking.

Good luck with the windmill.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

PeterD

Posted: 06:05am 03 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for the hints & photos. I think mine must be an 80.
I counted the turns across the coils (yours & mine) and got about 27 in each case.
Here is a pic of mine. Do you think an 80?
Peter

Let the wind blow high
Let the wind blow low
Through the streets in my kilt I go

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:57am 03 May 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah thats a 80.

I found a pic of a 100, real chunky looking compared to a 80 or 60.

And these are the two hub types you will see. The 100's hub had individual magnets. The 100's are very rare these days, they were only used on the early models.

F&P later changed the hubs to these wider magnets. Each of these magnets is actually made up of 4 magnets side by side, you can just see some faint lines across the magnet where the poles meet and have attracted metal filings. I believe they did it to reduce the whine noise made by the washing machines on spin cycle, but I could be wrong, may have been cheaper this way.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024