Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:30 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Windmills for hot water

Page 3 of 3    
MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 10:29pm 01 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Crew

I faced the magnet wheel and ran aluminum, brass and iron-backed aluminum (3/16" thick") at less than 1mm from the wheel. Again, it DID get warm to the touch, but not much. I ran the headstock at just under 600 rpm to more accurately simulate real windmill conditions.

Next, I mocked up an axial-flux arrangement with some magnet wheels from former builds and ran the 3/16" aluminum sheet in the fields and it may have been a 'little' warmer. Running with the magnets facing N-S-N on one side causes my little lathe to labor some, that is the rpm is noticeably less, but with the axial flux situation, with each ring iron-backed to concentrate the flux pathways, the little lathe slowed way down.

Unfortunately, my little lathe's 12-volt d.c. motor got warmer than any of the plates!

I'll keep dinking with it, but I don't forsee any need to run out and patent the idea anytime soon. As for using it in any practical application, I think it would be better to wind a stator with overgauged wire and run it as a dead short through a heating element either submerged in water or in close contact with the water tank.

. . . . . MacEdited by MacGyver 2012-03-03
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 11:30pm 01 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you are right Mac,
This is one where theory and practice are keeping a wide berth of each other. I had a little surf on the web looking for a few pointers and found plenty of low power high frequency induction heaters using capacitor banks to tune a resonant frequency. Only one I found running at 50 Hz and that was designed as a steam block for instant hot water. There was no technical detail so they are probably still in the patent process.

If I spot an induction rice cooker at a garage sale for $2 I might have to buy it and strip it to see how it works.

yahoo
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

electrondady1

Posted: 03:10am 02 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

macguiver. from your earlier description, you have the mags inserted into a plastic disk.
would you consider placing a flux return path for the back side of the plastic disk (such as a saw blade)
it should give you a bit better projection out the front towards the aluminum plate

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:42am 02 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

electrondady1

I tried that already. It helps, but the contraption still only makes the pick-up metal slightly warm even with a good flux-return pathway.

I even tried another axial-flux magnet plate that has 24 magnets; same results. If I were to spin the mandrel at 1500 rpm (unreasonable for wind-driven) it would likely get hot and I think that's what was done in the replies that said the metal got hotter than could be handled with bare hands. It makes sense, but like I said, I wanted to be able to accomplish useable results with shaft speeds more comensurate to traditional windmill shaft outputs.

I think I'm going to take Megawat Man's advice (page 3) and try an iron plate, since the flux fields will readily penetrate the iron and cause more internal "friction" if that's the right word and create more heat than with a soft
metal like aluminum or copper.

. . . . . . MacEdited by MacGyver 2012-03-03
Copeville, Texas

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:08am 02 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mac, just as an experiment, spin it at 1500RPM. See if it can get really hot, that will prove the concept, even if not practical.

If it does get hot, then maybe you just need to triple up the magnets, move them further out from center, etc.

I think it has to work, we just need to work it out. If it were a axial flux stator, sorted out, it would get so hot it would start to cook the epoxy.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 06:22pm 02 Mar 2012
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen

I don't doubt it works, it's just I want it to work at a more-feasible shaft speed and 1,500 shaft rpm from even a HAWT is dreaming unless I use gears and we all know where that one winds up (hint: the tip)!

Thanks for your input. I'll keep tinkering with it.

. . . . . Mac
Copeville, Texas

Pierre159

Posted: 08:22pm 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mac, hello all,

i'm working on average the same project to make hot water with induction on a windmill, do you have continue to work on this project? do you have some idea to make it ?
i would be pleased to share with you my construction.

brgds

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024