Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:15 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : nanoverter build

Page 1 of 15    
renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 10:38am 15 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey guys, just started assembling my nano control board.
Just want to confirm the silkscreen markings, does the line here mean the negative side?

Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 03:23pm 15 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, it is the cathode of the LED. If you have a DMM with diode test function, placing the negative probe of the DMM at the cathode and positive probe at the other LED pin (anode) will show voltage across the LED and most of the time will also make the LED light up.

I am excited to finally see hardware. Will be watching the progress.Edited by tinyt 2019-01-17

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 02:24am 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tiny.
Poida has boards too so lets see who finishes first.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 05:47am 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please post some stuff as you go, I have been away doing other stuff and lost touch, its interesting to see where you guys are heading with this.
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 07:04am 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Shall do Yahoo,

Had a little space issue, the idc connector is a tad close to the power supply board, so I pulled the pins from the idc and replaced them with 19mm long header pins, that rose it up a tad, then gave it a little shave on one corner and soldered it in slightly crooked. Now it all fits in nicely.

Mulver and John, I have included some of the long pins with your boards to do this alter, went in the mail today.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

poida

Guru

Posted: 07:09am 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mark, the boards arrived today. Thank you for this.

My plan is to build this in stages, maybe never completing all of it's function.

First stage is to get nano1 running, powering a MOSFET bridge, with Vfb as designed.
I will use the IR2184 drivers.

Next stage is nano2 with I2C LCD.

The AC sync will come next. I will unfortunately only be able to use the street power
as AC sync source. I can use the function generator to pump arbitrary waveforms
of increasing ugliness into the signal path. This might be worthy of further thought.
(I was tempted to buy a used but decent generator off ebay, with a view to using it for this project then reselling. I figured I would never resell it and so accumulate
more gear..and then I thought "look! there is beer in the fridge!" and the gen was not purchased.)

Then add DC supply under voltage cutoff, AC undervoltage, the two over temp cutoffs.

I probably won't build the SCR over current circuit, but it will be easy to test and debug code without it.

Of course if you need any help with your build PM me.
wronger than a phone book full of wrong phone numbers

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 07:22am 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Poida,
I'll probably finish the board fairly soon, I'll most likely need some help testing it as I have a set procedure to test the Oz/Mad boards, but have no idea about these.

My pure sine inverter generator hasn't been used in anger for prob 12 months, so it's no big deal for you to use this mate.
Edit, it runs well, I fire it up every now and then.
Edited by renewableMark 2019-01-17
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 03:12pm 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said   ....Had a little space issue, the idc connector is a tad close to the power supply board, so I pulled the pins from the idc and replaced them with 19mm long header pins, that rose it up a tad, then gave it a little shave on one corner and soldered it in slightly crooked. Now it all fits in nicely.

Oops.
I used OST 302-S101 connector to make the footprint for J1 (spec. attached)2019-01-17_011157_302-SXX1.pdf
Sorry about that.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:38pm 16 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No worries Tinyt, it's a simple fix if you want to use the connector I chose.

Big thanks for putting it all together.Edited by renewableMark 2019-01-18
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 17 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All done.

Sourcing the dip pinned chips was a bit hard so ended up making some smd adaptors using the long header pins.

Edited by renewableMark 2019-01-19
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 12:49am 18 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nicely done.

As a precaution, prior to first power on, I would remove all socketed ICs, then apply power and measure for correct voltage outputs of the dc-dc, the 7812, and 7805 linear regulators. If all good, install one IC at a time and remeasure the output voltage of the linear regulators after every IC install.Edited by tinyt 2019-01-19

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 04:53am 18 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tiny,
it's kind of a paper weight till I finish my next inverter though.
I don't want to mess with the one that runs the house for now.

No rush.
It will be nice having gen sync, we have kept the mains connection as a backup in case there is a extended cloudy spell. When this is all up and running that can be cut off completely.

More end clamps arrived today so I can mount another 1.5kw panels, getting pretty cloudproof now.
It's 28c and cloudy here today and it's still making slightly more power than the house is using with A/C on most of the day.

Hey Tinyt, or Poida, I was just checking the PDF schematic again, R23 and R54, it shows to install one only.
What is that for?

So with 7812 looking at the black side I should see 15v on the left pin and 12v on the right pin (ground middle)

7805 should be 12v left pin and 5v right pin.Edited by renewableMark 2019-01-19
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

poida

Guru

Posted: 07:22am 18 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mark, this is a good thing you have done: start a new thread for the build (and debug)

My view on R23 and R54 is one is loading the AC side of the diode bridge, the other loads the DC side. I would probably use the AC loading side since a current transformer needs a load. There might be situations when the CT will be unloaded if the DC side resistor is used. Correct me please readers if I am barking up the wrong tree.

if anyone here wants a good gerber viewer, I have used
https://gerber-viewer.easyeda.com/
with good results.

I best work out a small purchase list of bits for Sunday now.
Just want to get the 2 vregs going and the gate drive support for now.

wronger than a phone book full of wrong phone numbers

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:40am 18 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Poida, here is a pic of the board.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 01:09pm 18 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said   ....
Hey Tinyt, or Poida, I was just checking the PDF schematic again, R23 and R54, it shows to install one only.
What is that for?..

This was discussed in poida's 'Various aspects of homebrew...' thread pages 43, 45 and 46.

renewableMark said  ....
So with 7812 looking at the black side I should see 15v on the left pin and 12v on the right pin (ground middle)

7805 should be 12v left pin and 5v right pin.

Correct.

Maybe this will also help. Use a power supply with voltage output close to your battery bank. If your power supply shows load current reading, note the readings as each of the socketed ICs gets plugged in. Increase in current should be small. After all ICs are plugged in, do touch temperature test to the body of 7812 and 7805 every 5 minutes for maybe 30 minutes. Maybe heatsinks are not required on them.

Edited by tinyt 2019-01-20

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 11:38pm 18 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tinyt,
did that test, first with no chips, power supply was fine then the 7812 and 7812, tested fine.
Added the 21844 one at a time and voltages all ok, then the lt1638's one at a time and voltages still the same.

Then removed all chips and did the same test measuring mA.
Each addition of a chip rose the current slightly, when all 4 were in place the current was 11 mA, then when adding the two arduino's it rose to 53mA.
No noticeable temp on the 7812, 7805 is slightly warm to the touch after a while.
Will still put heatsinks on them though.
Prob not enough room for this
this should be fine.

So far so good.

No smoke!!!

BTW green LED bottom left was dimly lit.Edited by renewableMark 2019-01-20
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 12:13am 19 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said  ....So far so good.

No smoke!!!

BTW green LED bottom left was dimly lit.

Excellent!

That green LED is being driven by nano1 pin 15. Try removing nano1 from it's socket and see if it turns off. I don't know what code is preloaded in the arduino nano when purchased.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 01:33am 19 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep, removed nano 1 and it goes out.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

tinyt
Guru

Posted: 02:25am 19 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said   Yep, removed nano 1 and it goes out.

I think it is intended to be just a visual indicator that PWM is running if the code uses it for that purpose.

I looked at the nano1 code, as far as I can tell PIN 15 is not being touched by the code. So just ignore whatever its condition is.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 02:38am 19 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks mate, this will have to get put aside for now so I can finish the other bits of the inverter.

Glad there was no smoke.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Page 1 of 15    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024