Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:19 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Transformer Options

Zibe

Posted: 01:20am 06 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have been running my off grid system for 18 months now flawlessly (touch wood). However, I think its time to expand its capability while making many of the components more standardized (I rolled my own solar regulator and inverted based around the Latronics PVE-1200 transformer). The ratio which requires 5 * 12V batteries (60 -70V nominal).

One of the batteries in a string gave out recently which means I am on half energy capacity; the trigger to rebuild each of the systems components for a more standard 48V (4 * 12V) battery system.

My question is about making the best use of a number of transformers I have laying around to build a 1000VA - 2000VA (short term overload 48V inverter). I have the following transformer options available:

Remove 1/5 of the secondary winging of my existing PVE-1200 transformer.

I also have:
- 5 * 1450VA, 93V primary, 230V secondary (Aerosharp) - Seems the secondary is the outer winding with approximately 335 turns?
- 2000VA, 230V primary, 250V secondary (Aerosharp) - Have not investigated the winding
- 2 * 3000VA, 230V primary, 250V secondary (Aerosharp) - Looped a single turn and it seems 1V/turn when feed from 240V.

Given the 2000 / 3000VA transformers have approximately 1V/turn ratio am i correct in thinking the removal of the secondary winding and the addition of approximately 30 turn high current winding would suite?

Any ideas on which would be easiest / most efficient?

P.s. - Have not wound a transformer before and probably not good at it.

Regards

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 05:34am 06 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you are going to convert a 60 volt inverter to a 48 volt inverter you will need to reduce the primary turns.  The secondary turns should remain the same (230v).

Ideally it would be best to choose a transformer that has the primary as the outside winding.

If you end up with several choices, connect 230v ac up to the secondaries of each and measure the idling current. There can be quite a few surprises with that, because most commercial transformers the magnetising current can sometimes be fairly high.

For an off grid inverter, no load idling power is a very important consideration, and the largest single factor for that is the transformer.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024