Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:31 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Solar Powered Welding Helmets

Timbergetter

Posted: 01:44pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As many people here would know the Lincoln Electric company makes quality welding equipment including auto-darkening welding helmets.  My 700G helmet is promoted as being solar powered.  All electronics, solar panel and sensors are sealed inside a cassette that is intended to be not serviceable by the user.  Of course I am trying to service the failed cassette.  What I found inside are two coin batteries coded CR2342 (one is dead).  I have not seen this particular battery before but it looks much like the ubiquitous lithium CR2032.  Before opening up the cassette I had expected to find a rechargeable battery or two, but it appears that the included batteries are not rechargeable.  I speculate that the power needs of the equipment is met with instantaneous collected solar generation and when that is insufficient, make-up power is provided by the Lithium cells.  Does anyone have experience with these welding helmets that could confirm what I suspect is happening is in fact the case?

bob.steel

Posted: 09:48pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Indeed they are rechargeable usually .You can buy similar on ebay with tags attached and replace them . I have done so and recovered a dead helmet.  The yellow plastic around the sides seems to be a give away but lately I ave obtained same with blue plastic outside too.

Try recharging the dead cell first though . It may be that it has just got too low to accept charge . Use a variable power supply to put the voltage up to something like 5v for a couple of seconds first to start it accepting charge.
Edited 2020-05-12 07:51 by bob.steel

Timbergetter

Posted: 11:37pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many thanks Bob, you’ve put me on the right track.  I did not know rechargeables were available in this package format.  For the life of me I cannot find any specs on the CR-2342 manufactured by Newsun or anyone else.  Do you recall what capacity cell you have used in the past for replacement.  I will try to coax the dead cell back to life as you have suggested.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:19am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If the cells have gone flat, would it be a wise preventative maintence to put the helmets where they can get some decent ( indirect) sunlight to keep them topped up when not being used?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 05:10am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://www.newsun.com.hk/battery-category/primary-button-series-cr-30v

If it IS rechargeable, it should say so on the cell.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Timbergetter

Posted: 09:11am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The only description on the cells is “CR-2342 Newsun Lithium battery”.  I guess the question now would be, is there any characteristic of an anonymous cell that can be measured to determine if it is rechargeable or not?

bob.steel

Posted: 09:21am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You put a voltage on it and stand back.

I found that exact cell on yocart I think it was but it did not say .About $5 a piece but no solder tabs or plastic surround.
Yocart link

Looking at the listing you would assume they are not rechargeable but the helmet is solar powered ,usually meaning the sun and welding rays charge up the batteries in the helmet. As one poster said ,put it out in the sun and let it charge. I suspect though that the dead cell has gone down too far and will need a voltage boost before it will accept any charge.

I could not find the listing I used on ebay for my rechargeable cells either . It was about 3 or 4 years ago now and I had a name change in that time and can't get the older purchase details . Probablly no longer using that cell. Look for alternative sizes .

2342 seems to mean  23 mm by 4.2 mm and 18650 means 18 mm x 65.0 mm
I would probably replace it with this type
Edited 2020-05-12 19:45 by bob.steel

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024