Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:31 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Stepper Motor woes.............

piercy007

Posted: 12:56pm 05 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Right

Been playing with different stepper motors now but still with no luck generating a single Volt!

Bought two different types, followed the instruction to identify the common wires using a multimeter then give them a spin and .............nothing not squat, flicker or a cough from the multimeter.

So checked wiring, checked checks (checked my eye sight!) but not a single trible of voltage.

The latest one is a 24v motor24 volt motorand the previous one was the typical shape as shown here. I have seen posts roun dhere saying comments of how well they perform lighting up LEDS with ease etc etc etc - how!

Any ideas before I go maaaaaaaaaaaad
My middle name is luck mind you my first is bad!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:04pm 05 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Both of those stepper motors should work for you. Have you switched your multimeter to read AC volts?

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 01:06pm 05 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could have been measuring DCV on the meter. These motors produce Alternating current.

Does this help?

Gordon.
PS edit. Hi Gizmo, we both had the same idea. You were slightly faster on the keyboard than me.Edited by GWatPE 2008-09-06
become more energy aware

piercy007

Posted: 01:46pm 05 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GWatPE said   You could have been measuring DCV on the meter. These motors produce Alternating current.

Does this help?

Gordon.
PS edit. Hi Gizmo, we both had the same idea. You were slightly faster on the keyboard than me.

Hi Guys

Yup - tried every position on the multimeter (AC and DC) still no luck. Even through it on the drill in case it was an RPM issue but not squat

Dinges

Posted: 03:44pm 05 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've never come across a stepper that did not generate at least *some* voltage.

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/dinges/stepper_generator _resized

That's a stepper genny I built a few years ago, using basically the first stepper that was lying on the desk. If I recall correctly I added an overvoltage protection zener diode to the board to protect the 7805 from too high voltages (they can't stand more than 37V input).

Set the multimeter to ACV (ac-voltage), range 20V. Then connect the multimeter probes to wires in a systematic searching fashion and make notes of the voltage readings. If the stepper has e.g. 6 wires, connect and measure like this:

A) 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6
B) 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6
C) 3-4, 3-5, 3-6
D) 4-5, 4-6
E) 5-6

If you get no reading at all, try the tongue test: touch all the wires with your tongue and *slowly* rotate the shaft. If you feel nothing, turn a little faster. NEVER perform that tongue test on anything where higher voltages than 9-12V can be expected!

If you feel no tingle at all and you measure no voltage with the multimeter then the stepper is defect.

If you feel a tingle but measure no voltage, the multimeter is defect (or set to an incorrect range). If the multimeter is defect you could try repeating the above systematic search using a LED as voltage indicator.

Another test: short all wires together and try turning the shaft. Does it become (ever so slightly?) harder to turn ? If it doesn't then the stepper could be defect. If it becomes noticeably harder to turn the stepper is ok.

If all of the above don't work your steppers are most likely defect. Please stop wasting good money buying steppers on Ebay. I have a few of them and could send one over to the UK. Just checked, shipping isn't outrageous so I could send one across the North Sea to you, no charge, as a last resort. It'll be guaranteed not to be dead on arrival.

Peter.Edited by Dinges 2008-09-07

piercy007

Posted: 06:06pm 05 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dinges said   Set the multimeter to ACV (ac-voltage), range 20V. Then connect the multimeter probes to wires in a systematic searching fashion and make notes of the voltage readings. If the stepper has e.g. 6 wires, connect and measure like this:

A) 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6
B) 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6
C) 3-4, 3-5, 3-6
D) 4-5, 4-6
E) 5-6

Done this bit but working on resitance rather than voltage (didnt think there would be any ?)and worked out the 2 common wires and the 4 live wires

Another test: short all wires together and try turning the shaft. Does it become (ever so slightly?) harder to turn ? If it doesn't then the stepper could be defect. If it becomes noticeably harder to turn the stepper is ok.
tries this and yes the shaft becomes fifficult to tun

If all of the above don't work your steppers are most likely defect. Please stop wasting good money buying steppers on Ebay. I have a few of them and could send one over to the UK. Just checked, shipping isn't outrageous so I could send one across the North Sea to you, no charge, as a last resort. It'll be guaranteed not to be dead on arrival.
cheers for this Peter - may come back to you on this but would insist on at least refunding you any postage costs/

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:44am 06 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  tries this and yes the shaft becomes fifficult to tun

That tells us the stepper motor is working, the problem is somewhere else. I'm starting to suspect the multimeter is either faulty or not been used correctly, please dont take offence, its a learning curve we all went through.

Grab a 1.5 volts ( AA or whatever ) and make sure the multimeter can read that correctly, give or take a bit. This proves it can read DC volts. Now, do you have access to a push bike with a little dynamo for the lights, these make about 6 volts AC, see if you meter can read that.

Its just a matter of elimination, we know the stepper motor is working, so we move on to the next possible problem area.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

feix62k

Posted: 09:36am 06 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

what sort of output could you exspect, and what exactly are these stepper moters whats there main use prior to windmills
dont the days seem lank and long when nothing gos right and everthing gos wrong

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:40pm 06 Sep 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Steppers are used in a variery of stuff, the ones you have would come from printers. Machines like printers, photo copiers, old floppy drives etc all use stepper motors. Bigger steppers are used for CNC http://www.thebackshed.com/cnc/CNCExplained1.asp

When Dinges says you should not waste your money on steppers from ebay, its becuase you can get them for free from dead inket printers, photocopiers, etc.

Glenn
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024