Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:08 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Modified PC power supply 13.8v

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:38pm 21 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wish I found this link a couple of weeks ago when I had to modify a couple of power supplies for my router. I ended up taking a similar approach anyway, but this would have saved me rattling my brain for an hour. The modification increases the 12v 8amp output to 13.8 volts 8 amps, perfect for battery charging. I modified mine to just over 14 volts.

http://www.qsl.net/aa3sj/Pages/PC-Supply.html

Note if you want to connect 2 power supplies in series ( Like I did to get 29 volts ), you need to isolate the 0 volt ground connection ( black wire ) on the 2nd power supply.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 10:54am 27 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that link Glenn  it looks a heap easier way compared to the siliconchip conversion they did a couple of years ago. Next time I'm down the hill I'll have to get meself a couple of puter power supplies and give it a go but I do have an old power supply I got made about 10 years ago that outputs upto 60 volts at about 10 amps off memory. It's basically a huge transformer, a few rather huge caps and a variac with fuses installed and a 70 volt analogue guage to set the volts. This power supply was originally made for my tape drive motor which is nearly ready to go up as a wind genny. I reckon it could make a neat battery charger which I'll cerntainly need for my shed array's when winter sets in. That's if I'm home and not away working 4 weeks out of 5.

Cheers Bryan

Chris

Posted: 12:03pm 28 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow 60volts 10 amps!!

Thats a crap load of power!

The problem with that mod glen is that not all computer powersupplies can be modded like that. I wanted to do that mod to a couple of psu's i had and it wasnt possible. They didnt have the TL494 chip like those ones do.

I blew one up trying it

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 01:35am 31 Mar 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chris said  Wow 60volts 10 amps!!

Thats a crap load of power!

Hiya Guy's,

Here's a pic of that power supply I mentioned above. As it's overcast today I'm going to power it up and give my 2 array's in the shed a bit of a charge.

daljit

Posted: 06:14pm 09 Sep 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Chris,

For your information the ICs labelled KA494 and KA7500B are equivalents of TL494. In good percentage of asian made computer PSUs you can find KA7500B.

Daljit Singh

Its breeze to assemble circuits on PCBs

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024