Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:53 23 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Silicon Carbide mosfet range for inverters

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 07:42am 28 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Inverter builders might be interested in these, sounds expensive for experiments though (snap! crackle! pop!)

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 09:03am 28 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Technology advances.... not sure how many makers will be requiring > 1000v devices for an inverter; look on Microchip's web site and they have none in stock until near the years end.

I'm trying to source some >200 amp mosfets with 3.3v gate drive at the moment, everyone is out of stock, cannot get anything until 2022 - 2023, welcome to the global chip shortage.

Cheers
Mike

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 10:38am 28 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok Mike, I'll bite what are the 200A 3.3V gate drive mosfets for?

I can only imagine that they are essentially a slow on off switch driven directly from the micro? Tell me more I am intrigued, it certainly doesnt sound like a normal inveter topology.
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 12:01pm 28 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry zeitfest, didn't mean to hijack your thread...

wiseguy said   ... I can only imagine that they are essentially a slow on off switch driven directly from the micro? Tell me more I am intrigued, it certainly doesnt sound like a normal inverter topology.

Yep mostly correct, 3.3v Pico board driving some alarms, one of which is a large truck air horn, draws 50 amps on start @12v, the surface mount mosfet will turn the horn on\off in bursts to prevent its motor over heating; mosfets Ron approx 0.001R. Makes it easier to implement than a large expensive relay, may have to modify the design, not going to wait over a year for parts.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024