Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:08 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Generator Auto-Start

InPhase

Posted: 01:57am 18 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A simple circuit that closes a relay at a low voltage and opens it at a high voltage. I will use this to start a generator to keep a battery bank healthy, but it could be used for lots of other stuff too. My generator requires a maintained contact, so this works well, but this wouldn't work for a momentary push button start. If I were to do it over, I would use multi-turn pots for the adjustments. U3 is an LM317HV voltage regulator for 12 volt control power, so it can be used on battery voltages up to 60 V.

I used an adjustable power supply to set the trip points. I already have a couple of improvements to make, but it works very well.

Edited 2021-10-18 11:58 by InPhase

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 03:37am 18 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wonder what sort of hysteresis or time lag you have built in.
I once saw a commercially installed solar system with a backup generator setup.
It would start the generator run it for a couple of minutes then shut it down.
This was because when a big load was put on the system the voltage dropped below the low voltage setpoint. Then the battery voltage rose very fast with the large current being pumped in by the charger and the high setpoint was reached and the thing shut down again.
This happened many times a day on their system.
Just wondering how you will prevent this happening?
Cheers
Pete

InPhase

Posted: 04:25am 18 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In my use, hysteresis is in the nature of the system. Under the heaviest load I can impose, the voltage doesn't sag below the set point. Only drain can get the voltage that low. Under generator power, the charger doesn't provide enough current to raise the voltage that rapidly. There's also some intelligence on the generator side. Once started, there is a minimum cool down period after the call to start is removed where the genset continues to run until timeout. So there won't be any rapid start-stops with fluctuating load.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 05:12am 18 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It will when the battery starts to get down a bit.

It might all be running fine just above the low voltage trip point, then some massive surge pulls the voltage down to the point where the generator starts up.

So its not really possible to set an accurate fixed known low voltage set point.

One way to fix this might be with a series resistor and big electrolytic with a fairly long time constant. Use the time averaged voltage across the electrolytic for battery voltage sensing. Sudden dips and peaks in voltage will then get smoothed out.
Cheers,  Tony.

pd--

Posted: 12:12pm 18 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was away for a couple of weeks and during that time there was a hell of a storm
some how the battery charger for the generator starter battery was disconnected.

With black skies and little solar input eventually the main 48v battery went low voltage and the generator failed to start due to its flat battery so the hole system shut it self down.

Thats when i added the flowing ladder logic to the generators PLC
the generator has its own 12v alternator on it to charge the 12v starter battery.

if the battery voltage drops below 12.3 for 10 seconds
start the generator
when the bat voltage is greater than 13.8 then run for an additional 30minuts
then stop

There is a bit of aux control gear hanging off the starter battery so its only good for about 3 days before needing a topup

InPhase

Posted: 12:40pm 18 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very good feedback! I also noticed that I have a typo on the board as well. I thought I was clever using a 555 the way I did An earlier version used an LM358 but had about a dozen extra components. I guess I'll see how glitchy this will get. In my preliminary testing, it has been fine, but I don't (yet) rely heavily on battery power either.

I think I will add the big -ish electrolytic externally to buffer now. Should I use a diode in series with it to stop the cap from draining back towards the battery during momentary surges?

pd--

Posted: 05:16am 19 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Use a resister
you wont the cap to stay at the battery average voltage.
in my setup the battery voltage needs to be low for 10 seconds before the generator starts

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024