Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:15 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : transformer widing ration.

stockleys

Posted: 09:55pm 11 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi all.

in the process os rewinding the primary on an aerosharp 3kw transformer.
i am building a 24v system.  

from what i have read on this sight, i believe i should be looking for a 13-14v primary.
but i was thinking, as i am using lifepo4 batteries and their cutoff voltage is 21v.

would a 13v primary with a 21v source cause clipping? and should i reduce the primary to 11v or 12v to account for the low cut off voltage?

would a 12v primary still be ok with a full charge voltage of 29v?

many thanks

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 06:49am 12 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello stockleys, it will depend on what you are using as a powerboard.
I have a couple of home built 24 volt inverters that use powerjack transformers that I changed the primaries on.
I am pretty sure I made mine for 13 volts. Powerjack seem to design them for around 16 for some strange reason.
So I had to use a couple of turns less than they did.
I used 8010 based Sunyima boards and the output voltage is adjustable on them.
So it seems that you just need a high enough output voltage to prevent clipping when the batteries voltage falls off.
If you go for 11 or 12 volt primary and it doesn't work then it is not too hard to add a turn or two.
Pete

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 07:17am 12 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

21vdc as a minimum, chopped up will give you 14.85v RMS as a maximum.

Vrms=Vpeak/?2

But there will be losses in the resistance of the winding and in the MOSFETs. So I would wind for maybe 2v less than this. To minimise this loss, you will want to wind a good quality well magnetically coupled, well regulated transformer.

So maybe wind for 13v? You can always add a turn or subtract a turn during your final stages of testing.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024