Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:44 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Couple of IGBT's For Your Next Inverter Project.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:29pm 17 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm no where up to date with (really) high powered electronics so I was quite impressed with these two IGBT's from Infineon as show cased in EW.

The data sheets make interesting reading. Of course, there are higher powered devices available.

Brian
ChopperP

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 06:13am 19 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Absolutely gorgeous aren't they?

And still only 3v drop at 2000 amps.

Blast proof case? Hmmmm maybe not in my hands  

I wonder how they are mounted. I can't see any screw terminals. Maybe sandwiched in a proprietary holder heatsink combo.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:25pm 19 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"I wonder how they are mounted."

High power SCRs have been in that package for about 40 years, we called them hockey pucks. There are many kW of heat to get rid of so they are clamped between two water cooling blocks with special bolts. They have just the right amount of stretch to maintain the right pressure over a wide temperature range. if the pressure is too high the chip cracks and if too low the thermal resistance rises. The silicon "chip" is almost the same diameter as the package.

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 09:17pm 19 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  "I wonder how they are mounted."

High power SCRs have been in that package for about 40 years, we called them hockey pucks. There are many kW of heat to get rid of so they are clamped between two water cooling blocks with special bolts. They have just the right amount of stretch to maintain the right pressure over a wide temperature range. if the pressure is too high the chip cracks and if too low the thermal resistance rises. The silicon "chip" is almost the same diameter as the package.

Is there a technical reason MOSFETs can't be built to this size? I only see small ones.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:58pm 19 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Is there a technical reason MOSFETs can't be built to this size?"

Just a guess, I imagine gate capacitance would be huge and very difficult to drive.

Another detail for the SCRs, the two faces of the puck are anode and cathode so the cooling blocks are the connections and can have more than 1kV between them. The bolts had large teflon bushings and the cooling system used distilled water and teflon tubing.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:54am 20 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that info Phil. Interesting.

I know when cooling high powered RF transmitters, special precautions have to be observed including the use of distilled water & very good insulation.

@ Haxby, I suppose they are a bit gorgeous....
ChopperP

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024