Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:14 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Organising / catalog electronics bits

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:06pm 04 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So..
say if someone (hypothetically of course, ahem   ) had a desktop/bench with a lot of components old and new and used and unused etcetera...that had to be sorted somehow at least for ongoing use..and an unused vertical 32-drawer
organiser...what works as a catalogue without too much fussbudgeting  ?

The drawers are mainly the same size but there a few larger than the rest.

Maybe : pcbs - split into current, older
       smd's - split into capacitors, resistors, other
       hole/wire - not used much, maybe just leave them as packs and a clump
       ics - split into various types, microcontrollers, digital, opamps, etc
       power supply regulators etc.
       bolts, nuts
       pins/headers
       sockets
       leds, seven-segment displaya
       switches, relays
       optoelectronics
       LCD graphic displays
       modules for arduino/pi/pico

What system do people use ?
Edited 2023-12-04 22:07 by zeitfest

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:48pm 05 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  So..
say if someone (hypothetically of course, ahem   ) had a desktop/bench with a lot of components old and new and used and unused etcetera...that had to be sorted somehow .....

I have a number of benches & desktops in a similar situation.
Tried many a time to sort stuff. I did buy a number of partitioned containers a while ago & started putting various bit & pieces in them which sort of worked but not continued.
I think you have to be naturally neat, tidy & organised to have any success of being neat, tidy & organised.
Sorry, can't help you much.....

Brian
ChopperP

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 02:45am 06 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  What system do people use ?

Small nuts, bolts, washers and screws are better in clear glass jars.
Header pins and sockets are ok in glass jars.
Resistor packs are ok in glass jars if there is a printed label with the values, easy to see.
So you have drawers for the other stuff.
Also you have the option of not putting a label on the glass jars because you can see whats inside.......several 100 jars later you might have a different opinion.  
Edited 2023-12-06 12:48 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 03:50am 06 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just some of the workshop, I am in the process of doing exactly this, old inverter parts, new parts and old components with a lot of new old stock given to me as well. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Then I found these wall mountable bin cabinets, each with 18 good size draws, strong and easy to label and relabel once I got boxes of stuff unpacked and decided on what to keep or dump, some from ALID and a few from Bunnings. So there are 108 single divided drawers just in that unused wall space.

Bonus is I can put long tubes of FETS and other stuff as it comes in on top for later sorting.

Other cases have 60 small divided drawers just perfect for resistors, caps, trimmers etc.

The bigger stuff goes in the large draws cabinets that I have accumulated over the years, bought from garage sales and places like the reject shop. I'm finally getting close to having it done.

But I'm still running out of room

It's all too hard.
Mike.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 04:35am 06 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow Mike, you get 10 out of 10 from me for your neat workspace.

It even has airconditioning .

I'm way too dis-organised to manage a workspace anywhere near as tidy, quite happy to be surrounded by lots of little plastic bowls full of 'stuff'. This keeps me occupied for a while every time I'm looking for something .

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:27am 06 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Klaus, I would have stewed in there the past few days without the AC. Temps around 35 and very (very) humid. The Inverter also likes the cold AC running, it's fans never startup even though it's running the AC that is also keeping it cool

I finished sorting the nuts and bolts into each grade/size and type just the other day. I still have the tool workshop to clean up for bench space but it's finally getting done. I've been to busy/tired to really post lately. Finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

At least I hope that's a light that I can see

Cheers.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

pwillard

Posted: 02:53pm 06 Dec 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use thes.  (Well, not this specific one)

Stanley Tools and Consumer Storage 014725R 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organiser

Works really well, and use the Taller ones for larger parts.
Edited 2023-12-07 00:53 by pwillard

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024