Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:59 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : roland fp30x piano

irishron40

Posted: 11:30am 02 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi

I have this piano , but the volume is controlled by 2 push buttons which is not working good as a performer,

i like to add a potentiometer to operate the volume

each push button measures 10kohm
one side of each push button is connected to the other .

when i measure the ohms between the two other pins from each push button I measure 20K

i drawn out a diagram and was hoping someone could tell me would this work before i start soldering

i would use a 20k potentio meter

god bless

ron

Edited 2024-01-02 21:33 by irishron40

Arthur_Dent

Posted: 03:03pm 02 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,

This looks like a digital 'Up/Down' topology.  An analogue potentiometer is unlikely to work as suggested.  More likely to cause damage.  

How about locating the analogue audio output and adjusting it?

For example, the piano may have an AUX output suitable for input to an amplifier?

Best of luck.

irishron40

Posted: 04:37pm 02 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Arthur_Dent said  Hello,

This looks like a digital 'Up/Down' topology.  An analogue potentiometer is unlikely to work as suggested.  More likely to cause damage.  

For example, the piano may have an AUX output suitable for input to an amplifier?

Best of luck.

yes Arthur ,it has two jack outputs  ,could you sugest te best way to wire the potentiometer and also what vallue?

thanks  

ron

pd--

Posted: 09:32pm 02 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Adding the potentiometer will not work.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 09:54pm 02 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are quite a few music players and amplifiers that don't use analogue potentiometer anymore they went for Rotary Encoders, you will have to find out how it works.

Did the push button change volume by pressing several times or hold the button on for a short time?

A small amp on the aux out might be Easier solution.
Edited 2024-01-03 07:58 by Revlac
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

irishron40

Posted: 04:54am 03 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revlac said  There are quite a few music players and amplifiers that don't use analogue potentiometer anymore they went for Rotary Encoders, you will have to find out how it works.

Did the push button change volume by pressing several times or hold the button on for a short time?

several times and also when hold

thx

rom

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 09:43am 03 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ron, before you spend a lot of time and effort trying to modify it, have you tried cleaning the switches?

There's a fair chance it's just the switches getting dodgy in their old age. I'd at least try cleaning them by dribbling a drop of CRC or some sort of contact cleaner onto the button and hope some seeps in  ...

...  then I'd sit there for a few minutes sharply pressing the button with your thumbnail or similar.

I keep new switches for most of the stuff I fix  ...  but that method buys some time for many control boards I see. If they improve even for a while it makes it worthwhile chasing up some new ones  ...  or even swapping with some lesser used ones alongside.

And I agree with the other comments, I think they are simple on/off switches that digitally alter the volume when they are pressed. You could even short the switches with a piece of wire to see if the volume goes up or down as you short them  ...  and that may also prove whether it is the switches that are faulty or the digital control they feed.
Cheers,  Roger

Arthur_Dent

Posted: 10:27am 03 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

irishron40 said  
  Arthur_Dent said  Hello,

Best of luck.

yes Arthur ,it has two jack outputs  ,could you sugest te best way to wire the potentiometer and also what vallue?

thanks  

ron

Ron,
Assuming that the output is a mono signal.  It will have a 'centre' pin, or wire, and a screen (ground).  Connect these wires to either side of a 1k log pot.  Connect the wiper and ground to the input of an external amplifier.  You should be able to vary the volume from the pot.  If this works, you might want to mount the pot in a metal box and maintain the ground screen.  All of this can be done without needing to modify the piano itself.  

Hope this helps.

AD

Try searching for:  RV16AF-10-15K-A1K-3LA  on eu.mouser.com  

(As with all modifications ... they are done at your own risk.)
Edited 2024-01-03 20:37 by Arthur_Dent

irishron40

Posted: 10:55am 03 Jan 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

rogerdw said  Ron, before you spend a lot of time and effort trying to modify it, have you tried cleaning the switches?

There's a fair chance it's just the switches getting dodgy in their old age. I'd at least try cleaning them by dribbling a drop of CRC or some sort of contact cleaner onto the button and hope some seeps in  ...

...  then I'd sit there for a few minutes sharply pressing the button with your thumbnail or similar.

I keep new switches for most of the stuff I fix  ...  but that method buys some time for many control boards I see. If they improve even for a while it makes it worthwhile chasing up some new ones  ...  or even swapping with some lesser used ones alongside.

And I agree with the other comments, I think they are simple on/off switches that digitally alter the volume when they are pressed. You could even short the switches with a piece of wire to see if the volume goes up or down as you short them  ...  and that may also prove whether it is the switches that are faulty or the digital control they feed.

it is a brand new piano , but am not happy with those push buttons.
I actualy checked buttons again , but volume only goes down or u when they are held in, nothing happens when tapped.

I thought it was gonna be more simple  

thx

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024