Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:22 21 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Harbor Freight Tools

Sonny

Posted: 05:07pm 27 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Has a power inverter on sale for 170 bucks. It's a modified sine wave 4000 watt surge / 2000 watt continuous inverter. What I was wondering is this a good deal and would it work for what I would like to use it for. mainly to run a few lights and or power tools?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sonny
a complete novice

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 04:13am 28 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sonny;
The price is right, The modified sine wave means that it does not produce a standard wave form cycle, this will limit its use ie; clocks, and most synchronous motors as they depend on induced current with a smooth wave form.
Shop power tools are generally not synchronous type motors. and will function properly.
A shop vacuum system may be a sync. type that could overheat if run for a long time. Or it may fail to start. There is likely to be instructions on limitations packaged with the unit. Lights, Drill motors, portable sanders.
Any motor with carbon brushes will work fine.
I've had good service with Harbor Freight Tools (Chinese made) For a few bucks more you can get a replacement guarantee no questions asked!!!
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024