Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:08 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Solar Regulator

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 09:55am 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would someone please identify this item for me and explain what it does. The box is not a lot bigger than a matchbox.
I expect it is a switch which only connects the solar panel with the batteries while there is enough sunlight to produce enough voltage to charge the batteries. I suspect it has no other battery charging circiutry, such as detecting when the batteries are fully charged and then stop charging.
Would this be correct?

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 10:49am 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nope, i'm sure it will regulate the batteries appropriately ie turn off the input when voltage is too high.
Super common in solar powered road signs and the like
Luck favours the well prepared

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:06pm 31 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just googled it for you:check this

Scan down the list until you find it.
Its specifically for SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries.
Klaus

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 09:54pm 01 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks KarlJ and Tinker. My batteries are non sealed lead acid, but that should not matter.
I'm glad it won't allow overcharging. I thought I would have to buy another expensive box of control circuitry.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:09am 02 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You might find that the controller will cut out a little early for wet cell batteries as i think sla's take a slightly less peak voltage like about 13.8 compared to 14.2 for wet cells.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:40pm 03 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=from the page found by tinker]During the charging time the regulator will disconnect the solar panel from the battery every 20 minutes to determine the state of the solar panel output. Assuming there is charge available, 8 seconds later it will recommence charging. At the end of the day this same function will prevent the regulator from staying on all night. [/quote]

Inutile complications. With a power diode you can block the panel from consuming the battery and simplify your microcontroller programming.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Tim_the_bloke

Posted: 11:07am 07 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   sla's take a slightly less peak voltage like about 13.8 compared to 14.2 for wet cells.

Mmm...
I think my electronics deserve upgrading and I have much to learn first.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024