Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:55 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Car starting problems - pls help!

Page 2 of 2    
GreenD88

Posted: 12:20am 19 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most car alternators charge between 14v and 14.5v. If it ever goes above 14.5 then you can start worrying about overcharging.
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:34am 19 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wondered who that silly bugger with his head stuck under the bonnet was, while i tried to hit that stupid little white ball.

No seriously, Aint that a bone chilling sound, with a belt slipping on the alternator pulley.
It was a wonder that a choir of neigbour hood dogs didnt join in for a howl.

Good story of your misfortune.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 20 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Friends,

Thanks for further advice. Luckily for me I know a little bit about batteries now that I have joined this forum and become interested in RE as the following happened to me, which is a warning to all of you:

The first place I visited with the battery had a Century car battery tester, which also put a load onto the battery. A coil was slipped over one cable leading to the battery telling me the Amps are also being measured as with those clamp-on Amp meters - oh, I am so clever! And a printout was supplied with the test results.

The place where I bought the Century battery just measured voltage at rest and pronounced the battery to be OK as it read 12.3! No load test, which previously had dropped the voltage to 9.78 or so! No printout either! I feel sorry for people who drag in heavy batteries only then to be fooled into believing the batt is OK as the tester had a Century sticker on it.

The manager tried to get me to drive to the Century wholesaler, which I refused after mentioning three breakdowns, which caused me lots of driving to pick up stranded daughters, etc. After more loud voices from my side the battery was replaced with a new one.

I cleaned the earth connection to chassis, which solely relied on the metal contact through the bolt and thread and had paint on the contact surface. The earth connection to the engine block is forever hidden to human eyes and would require complete disassembly of lots of components to get to.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:53am 21 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good to hear you didnt back down and except no for an answer on the battery replacement.

What sort of a battery place dont load test a problem battery. I guess it is to their advantage not to, as for some strange reason most people trust what that little needle on the gauge says as meters cant lie apparently.

The important question....did it start after replacing the battery and cleaning the earths.??????

What was the charge voltage now with a new battery.?????

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

kingull

Posted: 04:10am 21 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have seen rock tight terminals (cable from battery to motor frame) become open circuit at the ground point on the engine. Just oxidisation or electrolysis created an insulating wafer between the lug and the engine. Engine was aluminium but lug was copper.

Another interesting fault on Subaru 1800. Starts well cold but takes minutes when hot. Run a lead from ignition switch to electric pump and starts first try hot.
Obviously some electronics gets it wrong when hot.

SSW_squall

Posted: 11:31am 21 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom,
Good for you mate, surely the people at the battery place would be able to claim on the warranty from the manufacturer, so why treat your customers with contempt??
No load tester at a place the sells batteries?? What a joke!!

It make a huge differnce when people who look after their customers.
Eg the guys at the local tyrepower near at Hackham are great
We seem to get nails in out tyres every other month, so i took a flat down to them this morning.
Picked it up at lunch time and was going to pay the $20 for the repair on eftpos, but the guy was happy to take $15 cash that i happened to have on me at the time.

Keeps me coming back

AB

Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler

domwild
Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 21 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

squall,

Good to hear there are still tyre places around which ooze the milk of kindness. My place did the following:

Placed in tank to find slow leak. Pulled out wire but did not mark spot to push in plug; used to be a $5 repair. Sold me tube and charged me heaps. Made noise as I said he should have marked spot and he then charged me less. This may be a standard sales trick with slow leaks?? Have noticed they deliberately rip tubes if they find them.

pete,

Have not measured voltages as yet. Will do next time and let you know. It certainly started OK this time.
Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024