Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:52 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Capacitor Help Please

keyskeet

Posted: 08:18pm 16 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello to all from the US,
I taking a shot at building the pieaxe 08M logger and can't seem to locate an easy sorce for the 0.01 x 63 volt capacitor. The closest I have found nearby in south florida usa is .01uf 400 volt.
Can someone tell me if that will work?
Thanks,
Richard
RCB

davef
Guru

Posted: 04:43am 17 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No probably with a higher than required voltage rating for a ceramic or mylar capacitor (like yours).

keyskeet

Posted: 09:50am 17 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Dave,
I'll keep looking for a US supplier. Seems like everyone that has it in stock is somewhere else in the world. I did find a .01 50 volt. Whats your thoughts on it? I'm a machinist and marine tech / owner of a sales and repair shop and understanding the uses of componants like this is a streach for me.
Thanks again for the help
Richard
RCB

GreenD88

Posted: 04:34pm 17 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Honestly it depends on the voltage of your batteries I would imagine. 50v I would bet would be fine as long as the voltage of your batteries never went above that. The voltage on a capacitor is just the rating at which it's dielectric will break down. You can use a higher voltage rating of the same Farad capacity with no problem. And from the quick look I took at the schematic looks like a ceramic capacitor. I would chose the 50v one it's close enough to not lose any sleep over. It just filters out any voltage spikes.
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

keyskeet

Posted: 12:39pm 19 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just wanted to say thanks to DaveF and GreenD88 for the help. I'm working on my prototype windmill now and should be back to the logger in a few days. This is a wonderful site.
Thanks again to all,
Richard
RCB

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:37pm 19 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Richard

If you are not in a hurry to build your logger than wait a week or two and i will be posting another logger design also based around a 08m, that i think is a little simpler circuit wise than the PicLog. Not to say there is anything wrong with Gizmos design and has worked well for many.
The new design uses a Current transformer to read the amps and solves the ground loop problems that can accure with using a shunt.
This dose mean the need to access at least 1 of the phase wires before the rectifier
The amps will be read via the CT and the mill rpm via the phase frequency.

There is some more information about it in another thread called Just what to log

I have not posted the schematics yet as there is little changes being made as testing is being preformed and did not want to have several versions posted.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

keyskeet

Posted: 02:36pm 19 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your input. I can wait to see your project. At this time I'm tied up with my downwind yaw device I'm working on. It will be a week or so before the windmill will be back in the air. It's only a hobby for me anyway. The Boat/marine business has been so slow, I deverted a little time back to an unfinished windmill project I started back in the 70's. (hate unfinished projects)
You can check out my currect proto windmill by clicking on wind at my website (www.skeetersmarine.com)
Richard
RCB

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024