Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:05 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : General Question on Charge Controller

Pukwudji

Posted: 01:53pm 12 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been reading online about various charge/diversion controllers and am a bit confused. Many of them state that you can EITHER use the device as a charge controller or a diversion controller. Aren't they the same thing? A charge controller monitors batter charge and disconnects from battery to prevent overcharge. Isn't that exactly what the diversion controller is doing, but instead of simply disconnecting (or shunting) the diversion controller reroutes power to another destination (dummy)?
I'm not talking about the advanced controllers that surge the power to improve charge rate or the MPPT types. Just the regular Charge Controllers.

Thanks,
Brian
-Brian V
Hillsboro, OR (USA)
KF7DUZ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 12 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Depends if you are talking solar or windmill.

But yes you are correct.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:19pm 12 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pete's right, it depends on what you are using to charge the batteries.

If you are using solar panels, then its ok to disconnect the solar panels when the battery is charged up. Its OK to leave a solar panel out in the sun with no load on it.

Wind turbines are different. You cant simply dissconnect a wind turbine on a windy day, it will speed up out of control, make lots of noise and possibly break. So we need to make sure the windmill remains loaded when the battery is fully charged, eith by dumping excess power out of the battery, or switching the windmill to a diversion load.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024