Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:21 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : How long a serial cable can be ...

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:23pm 18 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all!

... for programming a PICAXE or any PIC without problems?
Thank you!

Cheers,

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:04pm 18 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use a 3 wire cable that is about 10 meters long, works without any problems. I once had a 3 wire serial cable that was 50 meters long for transfering files between two computers, from memory it was running at 19,200 bd.
Telephone cables are just two twisted wires and they can handle modulated 4800bd for several kilometers.

Good thing about serial communications is you can reduce the data rate to get a reliable signal, even down to 75bd as used by the old Telix machines.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 09:57pm 18 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Glenn! So, long enough to put it between the keyboard and display. Working on computer but with programmer under my eyes.

VasiEdited by vasi 2007-09-20
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

RossW
Guru

Posted: 08:39pm 19 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  
Good thing about serial communications is you can reduce the data rate to get a reliable signal, even down to 75bd as used by the old Telix machines.

Were not most of the telix machines 45.45 baud? (50 baud in 60Hz countries)

Also, IIRC, they were never RS232, they were current loop.

RS232 does have substantial distance limitations, but for most of us they are not an issue at "sensible" speeds. There are serial variants (like RS423) that use differential signals to overcome many of the noise and distance problems of RS232, and can run signals 1500m or more at reasonable speeds without problems.

Art_

Posted: 02:16am 22 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All of the above might be true,
until you try to program a pic microcontroller with a serial programmer which is not ordinary serial
communication :D
The JDM (or clone) programmers use 12 Volt from the signal to trigger the pic's programmng pin, also timing is important.
The shorter the cable the better me thinks, my serial programmer
was shaky at best (only worked half the time).

If not actually, then potentially.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024