Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:34 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Help

AMUN-RA

Posted: 08:05pm 25 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a customer that refuses to use a controller on his solar system cannot convince him at all.
he has asked me to provide him with some blocking diodes to stop his batteries from draining back at night
How would I go about building such a beast
Mick.
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:03pm 25 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick

A blocking diode is just another name for a single rectifier. It connects in series from the solar cells and his battery bank.

You need to find out what the rating of his panel is, ie how many watts, and the voltage of his batt bank. Convert the watts to amps ( watts / volts ), and use the volts and amps rating to choose a rectifier. Double the values to play it save, ie if he runs a 24volt battery and his panel can supply 10 amps, then use a rectifier that can safely pass 48 volts at 20 amps or better.

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2007-09-27
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gill

Posted: 02:24am 26 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mick,
Here's some info extracted from the instruction sheet from BP for their "Crystalline Silicon Photovoltaic Modules" (Solar Panel range[polycrystal])

For my new 80w panels they reckon they are already fitted with by-pass diodes, but for the life of me I can't see where they are located.

Sorry the Table C-1 they refer to does not exist on the Instruction Sheet.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

AMUN-RA

Posted: 08:47pm 26 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gill the sharp NE80 has bypass dioded in the Jbox I dont sell bp gear so have never seen the pics you posted thank you very much for that I will visit J c*** today and see what I can find. I just wish I could talk him into a controller but he's set in his ways
Thanks again Mick
Townsville
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024