Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:16 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Inverter PCB’s

Page 23 of 29    
Madness

Guru

Posted: 08:16am 25 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is that for the regulator?2018-06-25_181540_Regulator_V2_Parts_List_2.zip

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 08:22am 25 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's the one, thanks mate.
This site needs a like button for posts, you don't always need to make a post but acknowledge something with a like would be a good feature.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:38am 25 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had fun on the weekend with the 2n2222a transistors on the regulator board. Jaycar lists them as 2n2222a but if you open the datasheet from their website it is actually a P2n222a. They are not the same, everything is the same except the collector and emitter legs are reversed. You can use either but the silkscreen is correct for the P2n2222A, if you use 2N2222A you just need to rotate the transistor 180 degrees.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Madness

Guru

Posted: 05:37am 28 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most of the PCB orders have been sent just waiting on another lot of terminals to arrive to send the balance out. That should be tomorrow or Monday.

mason

Posted: 12:58pm 28 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness,
is there a special way you wire the regulator for just a charge regulator no gti?

Neil

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:29pm 28 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Neil,

I need to start a build thread for the regulator. The side with the 6 HY4008 MOSFETs is for DC to DC battery charging via PWM, on a 48V battery bank that works best with panels with a 30. something Maximum Power Voltage configured in strings of 2. If this is all you require you can leave out the 4 20N60S5 MOSFETs and associated resistors, isolated power supply.

Some of us are using Grid Tie Inverters (GTI) connected to our Off Grid Inverters (OGI)via AC coupling (does not work with all OGIs) the OGI converts the excess power from the GTI to DC to charge the battery. This works really well however there is nothing to stop it when the battery is full which is why we use the Regulator. As the battery gets closer to full charge the Regulator reduces the power from the PV panels being supplied to the GTI. A little like putting a cloud over the panels to reduce output as needed for the battery.

You can use the regulator just with DC to DC or just with a GTI or use both. If you look at the parts list spreadsheet back a few pages in this thread I have separate columns identifying what parts you require for each configuration.

So all you need do is fit the parts you need and leave off those not required, I hope this has answered your question.Edited by Madness 2018-06-30

mason

Posted: 12:36pm 29 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think a build thread would be great when you get the time..

thx

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:36pm 05 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just realised I didn't order a part for the charge regulator, Mad have you got a link for the button cell module?
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:43pm 05 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is the Real Time Clock, I have not used it as yet so don't rush to get one. It is there to keep more accurate time for doing equalization charges every 30 days and a few other things I have in mind.

Mulver

Posted: 03:13am 06 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PCB's have been received! Big thanks Madness!

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 11:43pm 10 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mad, I see you used a big sheet of heatsink insulator and cut a bit for your area, but using these is fine isn't it?
(Re gti charger/regulator)Edited by renewableMark 2018-07-12
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

mason

Posted: 11:56pm 10 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mad, boards came today thanks

Madness

Guru

Posted: 12:33am 11 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said   Mad, I see you used a big sheet of heatsink insulator and cut a bit for your area, but using these is fine isn't it?
(Re gti charger/regulator)

Yes the individual ones will work but you may need to cut down the width a little so they don't overlap. Also getting all the individual ones in the right spot is a PITA but doable. The sheet type sticks down and stays in place so it is much easier. It is very important that the GTI high voltage MOSFETs and the 2 TIP35c transistors are insulated correctly. The HY4008 MOSFETs must not be insulated.

Still waiting for some parts arrive for the couple people still waiting, There seems to have been a hold up with Australia post since this new tax has come in on every import.Edited by Madness 2018-07-12

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 08:06am 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you use the self adhesive pads, I have found in some cases sticking the pads the other way around - to the Mosfet instead of to the heatsink made alignment & trimming off the excess a cinch.
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:46am 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

wiseguy said   If you use the self adhesive pads, I have found in some cases sticking the pads the other way around - to the Mosfet instead of to the heatsink made alignment & trimming off the excess a cinch.

OK, I thought that was how they were intended to be used, so there was no chance of them not being lined up.

Mad, on another matter, if you have two charge controllers feeding a battery can/should you hook up to the same hall sensor?
I'm thinking you should as not to exceed max charge input to a battery, however will the two controllers be happy with that scenario?
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:47am 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I find using a larger sheet cut to size very simple.

It does not cost a lot either.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:54am 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhh, if only they had a warehouse here in Aus, sometimes I look for alternatives simply because of time, Surely someone in Aus sells sheets of it but I was unable to find it and wanted to get cracking. I'll get a roll for No2.
Cheers for the link mate.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 11:00am 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jaycar sells some stuff that is about the same consistency as chewing gum. I tried it a while ago and found as useless as udders on a bull.

Madness

Guru

Posted: 11:12am 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

renewableMark said  
Mad, on another matter, if you have two charge controllers feeding a battery can/should you hook up to the same hall sensor?
I'm thinking you should as not to exceed max charge input to a battery, however will the two controllers be happy with that scenario?

If you are using 2 together as long the other charge controller can't exceed you maximum battery charge current it will be fine. Your battery would be fine with 70A charge, keep in mind your house will be using power so if you have an 80A charge controller working at full power it will not be putting all of that into the battery.

The DIY regulator will be able to drop to zero output if needed. If you are controlling loads such as HWS or AC you will not have anything to worry about. We try to do as many things like washing clothes and baking while the sun is shining where possible. Saves the battery wear and tear and also you only get back 90% of what goes into the battery.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 11:05pm 12 Jul 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahh I got ya. So the input to the battery should all go through that cable with the hall sensor and it will not allow the gti controller/s to exceed the max charge amps, even if my separate mppt controller is feeding. The gti controller/s reads the total going into battery via the one hall sensor and just scales back when appropriate.
Very clever.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Page 23 of 29    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024