Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:47 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HC-12 old vs new module....

Page 8 of 9    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:20pm 16 Nov 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, if you are prepared to swap the off-spec crystal with a genuine on-spec one, that will fix the problem. I however, could not be bothered to start re-crystaling handfuls of clone modules - I just made sure I only got the genuine ones from the manufacturer from this point forward.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 16 Nov 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RossW
Guru

Posted: 10:19pm 16 Nov 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   Yes, if you are prepared to swap the off-spec crystal with a genuine on-spec one, that will fix the problem.
[/quote]

We only did it because we had a bunch of "useless" ones, and out of curiosity.
Our consignment of genuine ones from hc01 will be here this coming week.

[quote]
I however, could not be bothered to start re-crystaling handfuls of clone modules - I just made sure I only got the genuine ones from the manufacturer from this point forward.

Yes, as will we in future.
We were quite unaware of the "clone rubbish" problem when we were buying them.
I didn't know until quite recently that you sold the modules too, so I'll shoot you a PM about consolidating orders in the future. (We just bought a MOQ of 50 from hc01)

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:55pm 20 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Almost 2 years on & I still haven't replaced my collection of HC-11's with HC-12's due to the confusion of what I'll get.

While fakes may work fine, I just struggle with the idea on principal.

Did stumble across this seller though.

Ali Seller

Claim:- Genuine Original HC-02 HC-05 HC-06 HC-08 HC-12 HC Family Modules authorized distributor NO COPY

Will take a punt on 10 which comes out at $51.30 AUD.

Want a USB one as well, but that seems a lot harder to sort than the bare module, which hopefully is good.

Phil.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:09am 21 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have purchased modules from this seller, and they do indeed appear to be genuine ones as they claim.  Not sure if they will ALWAYS be, but the ones I got(ten) were all tested, and all of them were correctly on-frequency.

I note the certificate they list from HC expired in 2018, but they still seem to be selling the genuine ones when I got some at the end of last year.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 21 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So.…

I was looking around in Bunnings & Jaycar yesterday for a spare HC-11 for the latest E100 I bought.

(Bunnings etc being certain people's name for my Shed & Front Office).

No 11's to be found. But 2 batches of 4x HC-12's
Figured I must have grabbed them back in 2016-17, blah, blah.

Different crystals across the sets of 4; T300 & 30.00L??
Ah well.

So a bit later I contemplate swapping some about, so pull the one from the Spa controller for a gander; 90° pin header; stick the magnifier on my head for a better look at the pin order & read HC-12 on the module.

Must be becoming bloody delusional! Been using HC-12's all along.
Gunna blame a mate who has HC-11's & insisted I had the same.
Brainwashed me....

Then I read this, Posted 04 Jul 2017......

Phil23 said  Hi Grog,

I've got 6 HC-12's going here;
1 polls 3 slaves, & receives their data,
the other 2 just receive data at this stage (E100's).

So end of story will be I've got 6 in service, +1 spare outside, +8 still in bags, +10 ordered yesterday....

And a total of about $75 poorer.

Should of got out of my chair yesterday morning & checked the USB one I could see sitting on the coffee table, out of arms reach.
Contemplated it; but I was convinced it was an 11.

Cheers.
Edited 2020-02-22 07:51 by Phil23

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:17am 22 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you get one of the HC12 tester PCB/kit things I started offering where you could plop an HC12 on some pogo-pins and test it with the help of a cheap-ish scanner radio?

If not, I would encourage you to do that.  That setup has proved to be a very valuable test-bed for me, so I can ensure that all modules I send out to anyone are indeed correctly on frequency.

That seller on AliExpress does seems to be selling the genuine article.  Their prices are about US$3 a piece, but that agrees with the HC price.  Basically, be wary of any HC12's being sold for LESS then US$3 a piece.  Some sellers are doing them for about US$2.50 or less - they should be treated as suspect and quite probably clones.

EDIT: I did order another 20 from that seller, as the first 10 just before Christmas tested as OK.  They have just passed Customs at Auckland, so I expect to have them by Monday or so(I use DHL shipping), so I will let the thread know what the testing results are.  When I got the last ten from this seller, they were shipped in the HC authentic little plastic tray things that HC send them out in, so that is also encouraging and suggests they are resold genuine ones.
Edited 2020-02-22 17:23 by Grogster

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:09am 24 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just got my latest ones today, and they also test as genuine, so I think that seller is OK to order from - for now.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 05:45am 24 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  Did you get one of the HC12 tester PCB/kit things I started offering where you could plop an HC12 on some pogo-pins and test it with the help of a cheap-ish scanner radio?

If not, I would encourage you to do that.

Don't seem to see mention of that in this thread.

I see the discussion on Pogo pins, but no reference to the test jig & software.

Phil.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:01pm 24 Feb 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps it was in its own thread....I might have put you crook on that....  
I will look.

EDIT: HERE is the thread talking about the tester.  My apologies for saying it was on this thread.  I thought it was talked about, but I was wrong.  Sorry for any confusion that may have caused you.  

Basically, I use this test jig to make sure all modules are correctly on-frequency if I DON'T get them direct from the HC factory.  95% of them I do, but sometimes I also like to try other sellers as they are much easier to order from.

As mentioned, the CN888 store on AliExpress seems to be selling the genuine ones from what I have found so far.  I did email them, and they confirmed that they only sell the genuine ones.  But how much faith you can put in that, is anyone's guess, cos most traders will simply tell you what you want to hear, in order to sell you the stuff!  

But CN888 seems to be authentic.
Edited 2020-02-25 08:19 by Grogster

aniskin63

Posted: 09:45am 05 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It seems that the reason for the inoperability of some HC-12 boards, which are called clones here on the forum, and think that they are assembled from poor components.

The presence of such boards was reported here by mr.RossW.

But the thing is that such modules have an error on the PCB.

Having received a couple of boards for my project, I ran into the described short-range problem.
In my case, at any set power, the communication range did not exceed 5 meters. Having examined the datasheet on SI4463 and made some measurements, it was found that there is no 3.3V voltage at the pin:4 ic SI4463.

This pin is the TX output and it must have a supply voltage, at which attention is paid in datasheet page 46:
"Transmit Output Pin.The PA output is an open-drain connection, so the L-C match must
supply VDD (+3.3 VDC nominal) to this pin."

To check, it is enough to measure the voltage at pin: 4. It should be 3.3V
To correct the error, you must make a jumper between the points indicated on the photo.

After correcting the error range is 300m with default settings, I didn't test it further.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:24pm 05 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

aniskin63 said  
To correct the error, you must make a jumper between the points indicated on the photo.

After correcting the error range is 300m with default settings, I didn't test it further.

Grogster? Can you test this? It would be interesting to know if this is why some modules are "bad".
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:43pm 05 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting that, aniskin63 - and welcome to the forums.

@ CG: Yes, I will dig out one of my clones, and make the hack and do some tests.

This might correct the modulation level issue, but I expect they will still be on the wrong frequency, as we have established that the clones use sub-standard or reject crystals, and the frequency is wrong.  However, that hack might allow the cones to at least have a decent range, albeit on the wrong frequency.

I will look into it over the weekend, if I get time.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 02:41am 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grog,

The 10 I ordered turned up today. In trays much like one of your pics.

Interesting variation is the crystal.

It's marked HC 30.000.
Maybe HC is getting their own source branded to help with identification.

Edited 2020-03-06 12:42 by Phil23

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 02:52am 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had to spin it to compare with the previous pic from aniskin63.

Different layout to the right of the socket.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:42am 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that "HC" on the crystal is the HC company logo, so I think you are right!
Never noticed that before.

That will HELP to ID clones, until the cloners start printing that on their reject crystals too.  Hopefully, that is somewhat unlikely, as they would have to spend money to get them marked like HC seem to now be doing, so that might make the clones easier to ID moving forward.  For now, anyway.

Well spotted, Phil!

aniskin63

Posted: 09:26am 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are no logos on my board!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:41am 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

this is the thread that keeps giving.

Fascinating canter (and pertinent to me as well)

cheers dudes

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:12am 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

And I still haven't got to pulling the USB ones apart to see what's in them.

(Mind you one is still Goods in Transit).

Anyone interested in joining me in a venture to produce Fake Ferrari's?
Sell Em at a hugely discounted price, but with a nice healthy margin.

Figure an old school V-Dub engine with a blower would trick the unaware punters.

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:37pm 06 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil23 said  
Figure an old school V-Dub engine with a blower would trick the unaware punters.

Put me in for 6.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Page 8 of 9    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024