Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:18 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 2.4" BackPack v2 ??

Page 1 of 2    
WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:43pm 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does anyone know about (or has created) a 2.4" BP v2 (i.e. with Microbridge)??

I can't see one, but thought I'd ask just in case someone has made one

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:00pm 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Wizzard is back!
We missed ya, buddy.

I thought that the BP already had a microbridge on it?
Perhaps that is the BP+. I'm a little out of touch Re the BP series of boards.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:00pm 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi G,

Yeah - been very busy with various bits (and been ill over last few days too! ).

The v2 BP seems to be only available in the 2.8" version. Am specifically after a 2.4" option for a certain 3D printed enclosure.

No doubt Geoff will correct me if Im wrong . . . .

erbp

Posted: 11:40pm 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said  The v2 BP seems to be only available in the 2.8" version.

The following is from the Silicon Chip article (May 2017) where the V2 backpack was described:

"The PCB for the Micromite LCD BackPack V2 is designed to suit the mounting holes for the 2.8" version, however, compatible displays of any of these three sizes will work perfectly. So your only issue with using a 2.2" or 2.4" display will be that you will need to use some other physical mounting arrangement."

So the V2 PCB only comes in one size and I am guessing you specifically want the 2.4" LCD / PCB combo due to some size restrictions where you want to mount it and the 2.8" board won't fit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Phil.

MikeO

Posted: 11:41pm 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WW, I made a similar PCB (with microbridge) that will mount a 2.4" LCD but the actual board is a bit larger at 60/90 mm, see here

Mike
Codenquilts

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 04:01am 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mike, I can finally reach your website with those links for the first time in a couple of months. I guess you changed something.

Paul in NY

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:43am 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay WW,

Glad you are back..

Of course there is my SMD-Backpack 43.5mm x 32.5mm (1.71” x 1.28”) that you might like to consider.

It plugs directly onto a 2.4" display and is probably the smallest BP board going.

It doesnt have the microbridge but it has an FT231 built in.. and these are pretty damn cheap and no Chinese clones that I know of..

Kind Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2018-12-05
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 06:23am 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mik,

Yep was about to email you an idea I had but ended up posting some pictures on my other 3D thread and then turning in for the night! Just awoke to your post above.

I wanted to see if you'd be willing to update your SMD BP PCB that you mention above, with a Microbridge PIC (instead of the FTDI). Also to centralise the USB socket.

How you finding retirement by the way? Will email you soon regarding our conversation back in Aug/Sept!!

WW

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:45am 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a project I wanted to make as small as possible, so designed a carrier board to attach a display to an E-28. I have some boards if you want one. See pics.

It does make the sandwich 3 high though. 20mm. thickEdited by palcal 2018-12-05
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 06:56am 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,

Thats a neat (and useful) little board you have there!

Height not too much by the look of things.

I have a 3D printed enclosure that is a perfect fit for BigMiks SMD BP, just need to either edit the 3D file to move the USB socket hole; or persuade Mik to update his module to replace the FTDI with a PIC1454/5.

I may well contact you regarding one of your PCBs though if you don't mind

Rgds,
Phil

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:03am 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@WW
No problem.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 04 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi WW,

WhiteWizzard said   Hi Mik,

I wanted to see if you'd be willing to update your SMD BP PCB that you mention above, with a Microbridge PIC (instead of the FTDI). Also to centralise the USB socket.

How you finding retirement by the way? Will email you soon regarding our conversation back in Aug/Sept!!

WW

I can probably do those changes.. The issue I would have in the short term is programming the SMD PIC16F1454/5 chips.. I would need to obtain a special socket like I have for the SSOP Pic170's

I am going away Friday Next week for my first retirement holiday and when we come back it will be full swing for Christmas so it wont be most likely until the early new year before I can get those changes done..

Any Coffs Harbour shedders want to catch up for a beer or 6?

Kind Regards,

Mick

palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:03am 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While on the subject of enclosures for projects, this is another great idea but it is NOT mine, I think I saw it in a post from TassyJim ( put your hand up Jim if you are responsible). It is a blank wall plate with a cut out for the display. I have mounted this one on a low profile mounting block. The mounting block has been butchered to fit everything in. It's not finished yet, a friend wanted an accurate clock for his office.
The pictures are not the best.

Edited by palcal 2018-12-06

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:08am 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  I think I saw it in a post from TassyJim ( put your hand up Jim if you are responsible).

Yes, that's my patented procedure.

They are a tight fit!

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@BigMik

If you do a new backpack for 2.4, please include following

- the 44 pin chip, because with LCD and touch there are only 8 pins IO left on the 28

- one of those SPI memories. matherp has some file system running on them, and it would be great to have that on a backpack. On the 170's these is no decent SD card support.

Regards,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice ad hoc enclosure, palcal and jim.

What exactly is a "low profile mounting block"--I don't recognize it from the back view--maybe it's not common or not available in the U.S.

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:48pm 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Lizby
Here in Oz and I would suspect in the US as well you have power outlets on the wall, usually integrated into the dry wall. If it is not possible to mount into the wall and the outlet has to be surface mounted you can get mounting blocks for the power outlet.
They mount onto the brickwork or whatever and so you have an enclosure for the outlet.
The normal mounting block is about 30mm deep but here anyway you can get the low profile ones.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Volhout,

Volhout said   @BigMik

If you do a new backpack for 2.4, please include following

- the 44 pin chip, because with LCD and touch there are only 8 pins IO left on the 28

- one of those SPI memories. matherp has some file system running on them, and it would be great to have that on a backpack. On the 170's these is no decent SD card support.

Regards,

Volhout

By my reckoning there are 7 IO used for the 2.4/2.8 screens plus 1 if you elect to use pin 26 for the PWM backlight control.. so there would be 12 free IO pins left..

As to the 44 pin, I think if I did a new design it would be a 64 pin based board.. It would be larger (cant say what size yet) but probably a more versatile PCB.

Regards,

Mick

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 10:39pm 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've never seen anything like that surface mount enclosure in the US either. It looks very useful for small displays. I bet it would find lots of buyers over here if it was available.

Paul in NY

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 10:54pm 05 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-Wiremold-NMW2-D-Raceway-Outlet/dp/B000GIGT6A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1544050524&sr=8-7&key words=surface+box Edited by CircuitGizmos 2018-12-07
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024