Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:55 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : visual effect of capacitors

Page 24 of 25    
Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:30pm 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Niall,

I fail to see how that can work??

You also imply a 6 phase input from what i can make of it.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:45pm 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm dumb to this.
I wait in expectation

Bob
Foolin Around

niall1

Posted: 05:16pm 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i,m not fully sure about the diagram...i,m trying to rembember it but probabely getting it wrong....nothing new there then....

its something to do with adding dc voltages through capacitors ..
the input is three phase Pete , each start and end are brought out and rectified
independently then the dc voltages are linked (added ?) through the caps ,

i think some people used it on fieldlines with car alts to get higher voltage from an existing stator without doing a rewind ....

the way i look at is , its kind off like charging three small batteries in series
then taking the sum of all three as an output .....maybe i,m just losing it...
i rembember playing around with it a long time ago and think it did work in some form

i try to find that old link....that should help
niall

niall1

Posted: 05:30pm 14 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bugger...i knew i was raving...sorry about the failed auto cad experiment Bob

pic from wooferhound on fieldlines and a link

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,143290.0.html

edit...this topic came up much further back as well but its tricky to find it
looking at the circuit now ....it doesent look like a conventional cap doubler circuit...the boost is on the dc side...??.. Edited by niall1 2010-05-16
niall

turnymf

Posted: 02:47am 16 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found this animation usefull for getting my head around 3 phase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7d1lwPPno

This is a huge thread, any chance of an abridged version?

cheers

GWatPE

Posted: 10:57pm 30 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Testing of my windmills with caps is continuing.

Current setup can change windmill behaviour from underloaded of optimum to overloaded of optimum with a switch click.

caps do reduce the maximum rpm my windmills attain during a wind gust, with a smoothing of the output power. The windmill is no where near as lively. The broader range of power output make the windmill more productive most of the time. The few hundred watts lost from the peak power, during the peak of a wind gust, is made up in spades by the windmill producing power at half the rpm the rest of the time.

I don't have time at present to present any data. The analyzer program I am making is a multi dimensional array and writing the program to get all components to work together is taking plenty of time.

Would be good if other readers could submit some comparison data from there own windmills to have a look at.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:48am 31 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon

I tried a 3 cap on my Chinese mill with 3 caps connected to the three phase points {+} and the three {-} joined in a star formation and it brought the volts up 5 volts on the output rectifier is this what you had in mind?

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Steve9R

Posted: 11:03am 10 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are we ever going to see this mystic 3 cap method or are we just wasting our time ??

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:49am 10 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think Gordon has been waiting for some good winds to be able to test and see the full results of the new cap mods, before posting what could be considered a waste of time without proof of it all working effecently.

It takes time to be able test things.

Be patient and wait for the results.

No information is better than bad information.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

AMACK

Posted: 04:28am 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon, I have sent you a PM for some advise on caps. I could not send a photo so I thought I might as well post it here so all can see. I still have trubble getting my head around the cap doubler but here goes.
I have 36 X 330 uf 250volt caps 2 X 50 amp recs and 1 X 100 amp rec and the recs are three phase. I heed some help to work out the wiring as I have not worked with 3 phase recs before. From what I can gather I was going to run the 100 amp as the main from the Gen and use the 50 amps with the caps. There is some wiring on the caps and I have posted a photo. As you can see the caps are in groups of 12.

AMACK
*Note to self

1. Make it thick

2.Make it heavy.

3.Make it stronger than it should be.

4. Don't rush the first job as the second job will cost more and take mor

fillm

Guru

Posted: 07:11am 20 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Amack ,

If you lay out your bridge recs like this the wiring flows a bit better

I will send it to you by email as well as it might be a bit small and you can use zoom to enlarge it

PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

GWatPE

Posted: 11:07am 23 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1 said  I might aswell say here as it hasn't been said before, I did after Dennis's experiments using parallel caps was put put 2 each 400 volt 440uf caps back to back on each phase and saw the current rise in my F&P at the time to heaps higher levels. Gordon came up for a visit saw what happened and well since then it is now his idea.

Hi Bryan,

I took this extract of yours from one of the other threads, and think this part belongs here.

I think that if you read through this "visual effect of capacitors" thread that you will see that I have credited yourself and Dennis for original testing of caps, in parallel and a series aspect on a F&P windmill alternator.

I continued my own testing, firstly with a F&P windmill and later with an AxFx windmill. fillm has also assisted with component testing. Early "Real life" testing was done on my own windmills.

I had found that in certain conditions my own windmill using parallel caps caused premature windmill runaway. Series caps alone on a windmill were a significant component and the sizing was proportional to the windmill power. This was a major drawback and some comments were made along the lines of truckloads of caps would be needed.

I continued along another tack and started exploring capacitor diode combinations, now lumped together simply as cap voltage doublers. These arrangements resulted in smaller components and lower power requirements needed by the capacitors and diodes.

I will take credit for finding the benefits a 3phase parallel/series cap doubler has to the load matching properties that are offered to a windmill that was wound for high cut in and power optimized for top end wind performance into a battery. The windmill would of course normally miss significant power harvest in low wind conditions.

I will remember the path that has resulted. I think that sometimes people who played a part in a process may be lost in time. If I was continuing with just series caps, then I am sure that I would not be entitled to take any credit, but I feel that any credit I am now given to the cap arrangements that are now presented in an article on this site is justified.

I was reluctant to add any more to this monumental thread. I have been unable to get any meaningful data from testing of other ideas I had. I am finalizing my testing now and summing up that the arrangement in the cap article will stand.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

turnymf

Posted: 12:04pm 23 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon
Are you referring to the cap arrangement on page 15? Cheers for that btw
I have constructed that diagram using electric fence caps and was impressed with the results

The caps are 30uf at around 900v
The meter is looking at the cap arrangement current

I tried several configs on a small hand powered jig as I am vawt so low rpm
Once I get a few more caps I'll go back to testing again

Once I screwed this to the wall and hooked it up the wind instantly stopped
cheers

GWatPE

Posted: 09:43am 28 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi readers,

I have had the opportunity to test my 48V wound stator on a 24V battery system.

The rotor was stalled heavily by the alternator with this loading. I was able to get the mill working well with 3300uF of back to back series caps in each phase lead. There is a down side in that the caps do not load adequately at higher power levels, and it is necessary to have windmill rpm/output voltage sensing, to activate a diversion loading, to prevent windmill overspeeding.

It looks like the best arrangement is the voltage doubler to load the windmill at low rpm, rather than to unload a windmill that has stalled behaviour.

Gordon.

PS: will be making a new stator with half the turns, as this will allow the direct 24V connection with a cap doubler to pick up low wind power.

It is still best to get the turns close to right for the system voltage and optimum rotor rpm for cutin.
become more energy aware

GWatPE

Posted: 12:39am 12 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi readers,

The stator mentioned above was originally 215 turns per phase, with 75 turns per coil. I could not get it to work aceptably on 24V. I opted to rewire, rather than make a new stator. This stator had appreciable hum when producing power.

I separated one coil from each phase and rewired the remaining coils in star. The separated coils were reconnected to the interconnection points of the 2 coils on each phase, to make a parallel set of coils. I kept the star points separate.

The output connections were just to the ends of each phase wire from the 2 series coils. I connected a cap doubler and main rectifiers to the system. The performance is per this link

The dot curve that follows the green line is with the cap doubler, compared to the more straight dot curve that is without the cap doubler.

As it turns out, the windmill is now almost silent, and the output follows the wind energy. There is a dull hum only, but nothing like it was. The caps have changed the loading significantly, and have allowed current to flow through the windings for a longer percentage of the time, even though still connected to the battery. The clipping of the AC waveform that normally occurs with rectifiers and a battery is softened by the effects of the AC coupled caps.

The rewire is not a traditional arrangement, as I wanted to use as much of the original copper as possible. The output is still appears very sinisoidal, and there is no drag when spun unloaded. The winding was tested in delta originally for 24V operation, and there was considerable drag when spun unloaded, indicating circulating currents in delta. Individual phase rectification was considered and rejected as it would have required rectifiers on the mill.

It turns out that the cap doubler and a rewire has allowed me to reuse this stator, and I will not need to make a new one.

Gordon.

PS: the caps were 4700uF and 35V, low ESR. At full power, approx 1000W windmill, and 4-5A through the doubler, the SMD rectifiers rose approx 20deg above ambient, and the caps rose 18deg. If I had 3300uF @ 63V, low ESR, these would have worked as well.

become more energy aware

turnymf

Posted: 01:23am 19 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thanks for the update Gordon
How long was the doubler running for the temp increase?
cheers

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:01am 19 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon

It tracks the power curve very well with that arrangement, I notice that it has a few dots in the high side of the curve, is this the doubler or the combination with the through rectifier.?
How will it perform further up the power curve with the winding reconfiguration, also could you do a mud map of your coil configuration so I can get my head around it. Also your delta connection as tried,as I think there was an impedance loop between unequal coil turns causing the internal loading.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Xmaswiz

Posted: 04:26pm 14 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

have what might be a stupid question; can motor caps be used in place of electrolytic? I can find relatively cheap ones, or is the farad rating too high on those?

thanks

Noel
Santa Maria, CA.
Noel

fillm

Guru

Posted: 09:49pm 14 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Noel,

AC motor start caps can be used as they are not polarised, so you need half the amount for a doubler . I think you will find their uF to small and will need to series quite a few to get meaningfull results . I have found a min of 300 to 600uF is a good start.
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Xmaswiz

Posted: 07:44pm 04 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I found these 110-125 Volt Start Capacitor - 1290-1548 Mfd from www.globalindustrial.com, and for the cost they are slightly cheaper than using 2 DC caps of roughly the same values. Do you think these would be a suitable? (I am including the cost of shipping with the total number of caps for comparison). thanks
Santa Maria, CA.
Noel

Page 24 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024