Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:07 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Forum upgrade

Page 7 of 15    
panky

Guru

Posted: 07:26am 17 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

Any thoughts on the implimentation of the 'print format' option you used to have in the old forum?  I found this invaluable to print out a whole thread for personal archiving.

Thanks,
panky
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:18am 20 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah all noted. I'm a little busy at the moment with work but will get back to forum upgrades when I can. Main thing now is the forum is working reliably.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

mikeb

Posted: 12:02am 03 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Definately add a 'Donate' button Glenn.
I'm sure TasyJim will spot you the code. The button works. I've used it.
A very big shout out to you, Geoff and Peter. Your efforts are so much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike B.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

ceptimus

Posted: 08:55pm 07 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I often click on the 'time of last posting' from the main forum index to take me to the latest post in a thread - very useful.

I just happened to click on such a link and I got a blank page with a reply box.  I think this happens when the latest post happens to be the last one on a page, and then the forum displays the next (empty) page.  Once you realise what's happened there's no problem as you can just click on the 'back one page' icon to see the latest post.

But I thought I'd report it as it can be added to the list of 'tiny bugs that might be looked at one day once most things are working perfectly.'  

I remember reading somewhere how to characterize bugs:

A) Bugs that must be fixed immediately - e.g. database gets corrupted when a user presses backspace on an empty line.

B) Bugs that are fairly important but not catastrophic - e.g. application crashes when a user presses backspace on a blank line - but no data is lost and the application can just be restarted.

C) Bugs that probably no one will ever get around to fixing - e.g. printer throws out one blank sheet of paper at the end of a printout when the printout happens to finish on the last line of a page.

BrianP

Posted: 10:36pm 08 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting..

I've not noticed this issue - what browser are using? I use Firefox.

B

ceptimus

Posted: 11:35pm 08 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm using Firefox on my PCs but Chrome on my tablets.  I think I saw it in Firefox that time.  Remember, it doesn't happen very often - only when the number of posts in a thread is an exact multiple of the posts-per-page.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 09 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Remember, it doesn't happen very often - only when the number of posts in a thread is an exact multiple of the posts-per-page.

I have seen the same thing using chrome.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:04pm 09 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  I have seen the same thing using chrome.
Bill

As have I
ChopperP

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:26am 10 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah know about that issue.

Also having a problem with members with a gmail account. Gmail wont accept emails from the forum, so post notifications and password resets are not getting through.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:31am 10 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a little update. On the members list you can click on the member name to open up more details, including posts they started or contributed to.
I did have a list of their files, but I'm worried this might be abused and suck up my bandwidth.

You can also see their email, its in a image format so cant be easily harvested by spammers. If a member doesn't want their email displayed, they can set that option on the "My Settings" page.

That page is slow to load, I need to optimise the way it works.

Glenn
JAQ

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:32am 10 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm using gmail and I can receive email notifications if I click on the "Notify me when someone adds to this thread" button above the reply message box. But not if only the "Email Notify me of Replies" box is ticked.

Bill

Edit: BUT only the for the first reply it seems?
2nd Edit: I take that back, I HAVE been notified of the replies since my previous post but they ended up in SPAM.
Edited 2019-10-11 06:42 by Turbo46

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 09:20am 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

qwhy asre the measasasgeas corrupted like thias????

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:34am 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But I didn't get notification of the one above (unless there is a delay).

Bill

BTW: I see no corrupt messages?

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 10:48am 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry, the problem was on my side. Re-started my computer and ALL IS OK NOW!

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:25pm 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did finally get notifications in my spam inbox of the above replies. Why the "Notify me when someone adds to this thread" button is different to ticking the "Email Notify me of replies" - I no idea but it works for me.

Bill

Edit: But I also get notifications when I reply.
Edited 2019-10-12 09:54 by Turbo46

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:57am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Done some work on the mobile friendly version. It will tend to jump from desktop to mobile and back on some screens, especially if you are logged in. But for general reading of the forum on as mobile device I think its ok.

Naturally the different browsers are displaying the pages slightly differently.

Glenn
JAQ

ceptimus

Posted: 05:55am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's caused my tablet (Android: Asus Nexus 7, Chrome browser, landscape orientation) to display the forum in a really narrow format - only using the centre third of the available space.

Rudge

Posted: 07:29am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yep metoo. Galaxy Tab A, Chrome.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:27am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If only there was a way to get a definitive answer to the question " Are you a mobile, tablet, or PC? "

The people who develop web browsers live with the fairies, they have no idea what it's like to write cross browser/platform web sites. We have a set of international documented standards, which are totally ignored.

I think I've got the code working, so tablets will see the normal desktop version of the forum, and mobiles will see the new mobile interface. At least until the next browser update breaks everything. If anyone wants to see the mobile interface on their tablet, or the desktop interface on their mobile, they can go jump.

Glenn
JAQ

Rudge

Posted: 11:27am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn
Sorry to not make it clear that my old Galaxy Tab A is a tablet.  Yes several generations old.  However I have just checked my Samsung mobile on chrome and it is fantastically improved thank you.  My very old laptop on  Win 7 and chrome is also  brilliant.
I, along with many others I am sure, really appreciate your work in providing this forum. THANK YOU
R

Page 7 of 15    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024