Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:52 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : AEVA Sydney - Electric Vehicle Expo

Page 1 of 5    
Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:25am 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We have done quite a number of Electric Vehicle shows over the years. Not long ago I posted several of those trips in the EV 7  thread starting part way down on page 2 and going into page 3.

A few weeks ago, we went to Yeppoon Sustainability Expo. Glen George came along for a test run in preparing for the big drive to Sydney, AEVA Electric Vehicle Expo. Glen is the owner and driver of the first Electric Vehicle around Australia. Check out Glen's websites http://co2race.net/  https://www.facebook.com/The-Great-CO2-Race-205319656190698/

Here is some pictures of the Yeppoon trip and show.............
Left Mackay early in the morning.
Charging at Sarina and Carmilla

Dumping power from T-Rev to MGEV at Waverly Creek and charging at Marlborough

Camped at Yaamba. Next morning dumped power from T-Rev to MGEV

Drove to Yeppoon. Booked into a caravan park and got MGEV plugged in. Glen and I went driving in search of bigger power. Found the local showgrounds (thanks Dale for the location) and negotiated a charge with the caretaker. After charging EV Hilux and T-Rev, went back to the caravan park.

Next day was the Sustainability expo. Quite a big turn-out for the first of such events for Yeppoon.

Edited 2019-10-11 18:34 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 08:38am 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LOL, like it, using T Rev as a 'spare battery'/ range extender.

Whats the utes range pulling the trailer like?

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 11 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So the big drive will start next week. AEVA EV Expo in Sydney.

http://www.theevexpo.com/

We have planned, and re-planned and checked over the plan and edited a few times. That's not to say we have planned or are prepared. Driving electric is still in its infancy and the charge points vary in distance apart, vary with different plugs, and sometimes don't work! Plans do change.

You can find all the charge points on https://www.plugshare.com/ . and do all your trip planning in this website too!

Here is the map of our planned charging stations. There is a lot more charge sessions for MGEV, than shown on the map. MGEV only has a 70-80km max range now. The charge stations are not that close, hence the reason for dumping power from T-Rev to MGEV.
The plan is divided into 2 sections, so the tablet (for traveling) can handle the amount of data.
Kuttabul / Mackay to Gold Coast

Gold Coast to sydney

Here is the list of charge points

And another piece of valuable information is the Elevation Charts. If you are going uphill, it does take more power. A head wind also uses more power, but that has to be played on the day. Pulling the trailer with T-Rev (1100kg) also takes a lot more power.
Kuttabul to Gold coast

Gold Coast to Sydney

Edited 2019-10-11 20:07 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 05:32am 12 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Long drive- stay safe out there (you driving past me again lol)

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:11am 12 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Must take forever to get anywhere!

You sure are more patient than me..... although a bit the same.
I stop when the car runs out of juice, about 600 KM, you do too only a bit more often . Stopping every 80km, I couldn't do that.

How long does a stop to recharge take? An hour? 2?

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:30am 13 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeh Boppa, I guess I drive past lots of people. The EV Hilux range is currently 100km on the Hilux battery pack while towing T-Rev. Earlier this year I removed 4 cells, from 52 cells back to 48 cells. This is so I also can dump power from T-Rev to EV Hilux when I need to. With no power from T-Rev to MGEV, using T-Rev in EV Hilux, I figure I could do about 200km. I have done 170km with some spare power.

Davo99, charge time depends on how we charge and how much power we need to put back in. It will be longer charge time with 3 vehicles to charge up. Most charge times, I will be using EV Hilux and T-Rev chargers to power up MGEV as well, as most charge stations only have 2 outlets. EV Hilux and T-Rev have higher charge rates than MGEV, so will dump to MGEV while charging EV Hilux and T-Rev. I will try to answer this question in terms of specific time along the journey.

This is a test to see how the pictures might turn out. Uploading from the tablet. The picture is of a rainbow at Yaamba on the way home from Yeppoon.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:35am 13 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well the pictures go in very big.
Glenn, is there a way to make the pictures smaller from the tablet?
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 05:09am 13 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some forums you can add extra coding in the pics to resize, not sure if Glens software allows it or not?

I find the easiest way is to upload to a separate photo hosting site, that allows you to select whatever photo size you want, and then link to that, or save the resized photo from there and upload here...

You can use Gimp or Photoshop or a similar program to resize, but frankly, its quicker and easier imho to use a hosting site (I use Postimage) to do it

Eg from your pic above it took 4 clicks and about 15 seconds to get this 320 x 240 size

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:49pm 14 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I left home, Kuttabul Qld,  at 4.38am. Met up with Glen George at Mackay at 5.30am.

Drive to Sarina. Forgot to photo the speedo reading at home. In Sarina trip meter which zero at home, shows 76.2km and main reading shows 92700.1km. So speedo reading at home would have been 92623.9km

Dumping power from T-Rev to MGEV 9.15am. After MGEV, I will connect it up to dump to EV Hilux. EV Hilux used 18.6kW to drive the 76.2km. That's 4.1km /kW x 26kW = 106km range.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:48am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Left Sarina at 7.23am. Most of our driving is at 60km/hr.
Sometimes we do the speed limit, in town and down hill! It really sucks when you have a really long steep downhill and you have to use the brakes

Arrived Carmila 8.30am
I had fitted a 3rd charger to T-Rev but hadn't finished the wiring, so after connecting EV Hilux and MGEV, I finished that off. Then got T-Rev charging. Also a number of people come off the street and want to talk. One fellow had alternator trouble in his Nissan (petrol) and a local had told him to come and see me (at the charge station). He said the local told him that I was the guru. I wouldn't  say that, some things I dont know. Once I got stuck in Miriamvale. My phone went flat, so can't switch on the public charge outlet. Can't ring anyone. I wanted to change the SIM from phone to tablet. Didn't know how. I had to get someone on the street to help me change the SIM. The comment was, built 2 electric cars but cant change a SIM. The big joke of the day.

For the 139km from home to Carmila I had used 24.5kW plus 57Ah from T-Rev. MGEV took 40Ah. Total out of T-Rev was 97Ah. MGEV used about 55Ah from Sarina to Carmila.

Recorded 36.8kWkw and 2hrs 6 min from port A and 15.89kW and 2hrs 0min from port B Chargefox app. (The app that is is to turn on the charge outlet)

Time to hit the road the road again. 10.47am.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 02:12am 15 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So your stop was 2+ hours?
How much do you pay for the power per Kw?

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 16 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, plans do change.
We were about to go from Carmilla, but MGEV would not switch on. We traced the problem down to the Zilla speed controller hairball. No way to fix it, decided to leave it, take T-Rev back home, dump it off and go back with the empty trailer to pick up MGEV.

Wednesday we fitted a new Soliton speed controller. Then found the Zivan charger had also blown a fuse. Many hours tracing all the wires to find the problems.

Try again. Left home, 5.06am. Speedo reading 92902.0

Top up at Mackay.

Edited 2019-10-17 06:35 by Trev
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:59pm 16 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

3 vehicles, home, Kuttabul to Mackay, 42.8km, EV Hilux used 9.6kW recorded on its monitor.

Chargefox app recorded 56 minutes 17.69kW.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 16 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sarina 7.45am.
Dumping power from T-Rev to MGEV.
At first, we thought we had more problems. No power tranfer. Glen plugged in only half the Anderson under the back of MGEV. Connected correctly.....all good.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 04:02am 17 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got to Carmilla at 9.40am. MGEV Zivan charger did not work. Spent some time on that issue. Bypassed BMS to get 240vac into it, but still output.

Pictures of Chargefox reordings

Left Carmilla at 11.25am. Arrived at Waverley Creek rest area at 12.55pm. Some roadwork holdups in that section of road.

Dumping power from T-Rev to MGEV. Then EV Hilux will get some from T-Rev

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 07:48am 17 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Arrived at Marlborough 3.23pm.
Did 136.1km from Carmilla. EV Hilux used 24.2kw plus 58Ah from T-Rev. MGEV took 48Ah from T-Rev at Waverley Creek. Total out of T-Rev 106Ah. MGEV used 60Ah from Waverley Creek.

chargefox recordings

Leaving Marlborough charge station now 5.47pm
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 09:43am 17 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Arrived at Yaamba at 6.50pm. Dump power from T-Rev to MGEV. Camp the night. Not enough light for any pictures.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 12:06pm 17 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did that same trip in the old exploder pulling the van-22l/100km (at the time was 1.40 a litre) so $31 every 100km... near enough to $300 for the trip down...

Looks at Trev's costs...

"total cost    free"
"total cost    free"
"total cost    free"
"total cost    free"
"total cost    free"

Trev

Guru

Posted: 01:24am 18 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Arrived at Yaamba at 6.50pm. Dump power from T-Rev to MGEV. Camp the night. Not enough light for any pictures.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 02:07am 18 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We had the perect Driver Reviver at Yaamba

Got up just before 5am. Thought to hit the road at 5am but as soon as I was walking over to the EV Hilux the first person walks up with lots of questions. Ah, all good. Half the reason for the trip is education anyway. Got going by 5.40am

Got some fittings and hose at Bunnings in Rockhampton. While charging at Rocky, Glen started to fit the hose for water cooling the Soliton speed controller. Yesterday it got as high as 62 degrees C. I cooked brekky. We also talked to so many people about the electric cars, as we do every stop.

Started charging at 7.25am.

Left rocky at 9.42am
Arived Mt. Larcom at 11.08am
Water cooling helps on MGEV. Max of 42 degrees C.

Dumping power from T-Rev to MGEV here at Mt. Larcom

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Page 1 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024