Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:16 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Nothing ever changes...

Page 5 of 6    
Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:46pm 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glaciers Appear to be Growing, not Melting in Recent Years

By Roger I. Roots, J.D., Ph.D.,

Founder, Lysander Spooner University

May 30, 2019. St. Mary, Montana. Officials at Glacier National Park (GNP) have begun quietly removing and altering signs and government literature which told visitors that the Park’s glaciers were all expected to disappear by either 2020 or 2030.
In recent years the National Park Service prominently featured brochures, signs and films which boldly proclaimed that all glaciers at GNP were melting away rapidly. But now officials at GNP seem to be scrambling to hide or replace their previous hysterical claims while avoiding any notice to the public that the claims were inaccurate. Teams from Lysander Spooner University visiting the Park each September have noted that GNP’s most famous glaciers such as the Grinnell Glacier and the Jackson Glacier appear to have been growing—not shrinking—since about 2010. (The Jackson Glacier—easily seen from the Going-To-The-Sun Highway—may have grown as much as 25% or more over the past decade.)

Full article

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:02pm 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  CaptainBoing said  The amount of green material that ends up in bogs etc. is tiny and do you think it will hold on to that carbon for a century? a million years? 10 million? ... and trees falling over in forests rot away.

Tiny or not (I see no statistics), it is not zero.  Trees do not rot entirely away and in any case their roots, leaves etc all add to the soil.

These are natural forms of carbon sequestration, of course.

Planting more trees does add to soil depth / carbon sequestration.

Soils can last millions of years.  I gather the average depth in UK/EU is something like 2 metres.  It didn't all arrive yesterday :)

It has been suggested that humans add some more, such as biochar and CCS (carbon capture & storage).  (CCS is in use but not enough.)

John

You are splitting hairs. I asked a question of Dr. Google it would appear trees do decompose completely.  (I did this for completeness. The answer is obvious.)

Please explain where the tree remnants from the last 300M years are (hint: you haven't)

While we're at it, this article paints a pathetic picture of the ability of natural sequestration. And yes, almost all biologically removed carbon will be released during decomposition as smaller and smaller pieces of the deceased move into equilibrium with their environment and are consumed by others (rotting).

Remember, the USA need 1.6M additional mature trees every hour for the rest of the foreseeable future just to stall its carbon output. Don't think your peat bog is gonna cut it.

This is my last word on the subject as I have already consumed too much bandwidth on the subject and seem to be making little headway.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:55pm 09 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
  Quote  Glaciers Appear to be Growing, not Melting in Recent Years

I see your "Glaciers Appear to be Growing, not Melting in Recent Years" (at Glacier National Park) and raise you one "Record melting sees Swiss glaciers shrink 10% in five years": Full Article

No one says the effects will be uniform everywhere--it's the total all over the globe which will determine the outcome.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

BrianP

Posted: 02:05am 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm having to let all this wash over me. I do care heaps, & all the diverse opinion everywhere only makes me sad -  we don't seem to be all pulling together.

Salient points from my perspective:

) Nuclear is nature's way of creating energy - we should go with it ASAP (AND more focus on developing viable nuclear fusion. Then we can burn all our waste including our stores of nuclear waste. If we can travel to distant planets (alright, only the moon at present) surely we are capable of doing this.)

) Don't overlook the significant emissions involved in producing our "renewable energy" hardware - will this be reovered within its lifetime? (Include the associated electronics here.)

) Regarding glaciers - it's the overall count that matters. You will always get shorter term variations that are interlinked with each other (warmer here -> colder there).

) Regarding trees - STOP denuding our forests! (although Oz is doing a mighty job here with our current fires situation). How many million trees are we losing per hour currently? Proper land management is so important. We can learn so much from our indigenous brothers & sisters who have over 40k years' experience in this department. Nature's spin on land management: If you don't, I will!

I have great confidence in Nature's ability to fix our mistakes, but she needs more time than she's being given!

B

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:09am 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agree 100% BrianP.

Sadly there are too many different cultures and agendas out there for us to ever pull together. .

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 06:52am 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the states the authority of the President is severely limited by the balance of the executive, legislative and judicial branches, and also by all those damned state and local governments with their own executive, legislative and judicial bureaurcracies. It's a wonder that anything ever gets done. I'm sure that Trump feels very frustrated after his unlimited authority in his own corporation, but, it is a very effective way to prevent another Hitler or Stalin from taking over.

An executive order to build nuclear power plants would be stalled by the states and local governments and by the highly vocal NIMBY ... Not In My Backyard ... types. No new nuclear power reactors have been placed in service for over 30 years.

Nonetheless, the US currently has 98 operating power reactors generating 804.9 TWh in 2017 or > 30% of the world's output. Since 2007 16 licenses to build 24 plants were applied for and 2 are under construction.

Electrical Production in the United States for 2017
     Source        # of Gens      Summer       %    Annual       %
     Coal                789      256.55   23.92   1205.84   29.48
     Natural Gas       5,973      458.39   42.74   1308.89   32.00
     Nuclear              99       99.63    9.29    804.95   19.68
     Hydro             4,062       79.79    7.44    300.33    7.34
     Other Renewables  6,600      131.01   12.22    386.28    9.44
     Petroleum         3,575       21.39    1.99     21.39    0.52
     Other               186        2.89    0.27     13.09    0.32
     Storage             153       22.81    2.13     -6.50   -0.16
     Net Imports                                     56.31    1.38
     Total            21,437     1072.46  100.00  4,090.58  100.00

Other Renewables includes solar, wind, geothermal, wood and other bio.
             Summer capacity is in GW, Annual production is in TWh.
             https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_of_the_United_States

The use of natural gas has increased dramatically due to the fracturing mining techniques, installation of new pipelines and the installation of gas turbine generators. It used to present a disposal problem at oil wells and it would be routinely burned from tall stacks. Now more of it can now be used to produce electricity instead of being wasted. The total amount burned has remained relatively constant.

The predominant irrational fear of nuclear generation in the population is a result of deficient education. Teenagers are not taught that fissionable elements in the crust of the earth cannot be stopped from fissioning and producing heat, that it can be safe to capture the heat produced in competently engineered reactors, and that a nuclear explosion is only possible when a critical mass of certain isotopes is deliberately assembled.

Our politically correct schools and uninterested parents are failing us!

Paul in NY
Edited 2020-01-10 16:55 by Paul_L

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:09am 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, I lied about shutting up but this article quite old now, puts the Nukes Vs Coal argument is real perspective:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-04-12-column12_ST_N.htm

and some proper science re nuke power and when it goes wrong (spoiler: Japan and western USA weren't evacuated) Go Phil!!! People like me have to rely on the internet and WikiPedia. Honest Proper scientists have access to masses of scientific papers and more importantly the knowledge and experience of how to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOgkzZc4Co&t=532s

Don't get me wrong, radioactive contamination is not great - but it is rarely as bad as it's painted either, so long as the right precautions are taken. Alarmist "reporting" doesn't help but is seldom held up for rebuke after the fact.

Oh the joy of armchair experts. "Wisdom begins when we realise how little we know" - Socrates.
Edited 2020-01-10 19:37 by CaptainBoing

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:37pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  OK, I lied about shutting up but this article quite old now, puts the Nukes Vs Coal argument is real perspective:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-04-12-column12_ST_N.htm

and some proper science re nuke power and when it goes wrong (spoiler: Japan and western USA weren't evacuated) Go Phil!!! People like me have to rely on the internet and WikiPedia. Honest Proper scientists have access to masses of scientific papers and more importantly the knowledge and experience of how to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOgkzZc4Co&t=532s

Don't get me wrong, radioactive contamination is not great - but it is rarely as bad as it's painted either, so long as the right precautions are taken. Alarmist "reporting" doesn't help but is seldom held up for rebuke after the fact.

Oh the joy of armchair experts. "Wisdom begins when we realise how little we know" - Socrates.

You come up with some good stuff, Cap'n

What about how much fear of terrorism has cost us. A lot is being spent militarily, and by the Department of Homeland Security, to protect us from the real risk. But the invasion of Iraq has cost more than 4,000 American lives and billions of dollars, and has damaged U.S. international relationships, to fight a war 75% of Americans supported. Why? Because after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, we were afraid enough to blithely believe dishonest overstatements about the danger, to us, from Saddam Hussein.

we were afraid enough to blithely believe dishonest overstatements about the danger

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:42pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good article, Cap'n, but geez, 9 years later and we appear no closer to approving new nuclear plants in the U.S. and Germany has given up all the gains of its renewables by retiring nuclear rather than coal-fired plants.

There does seem to be widespread agreement among technologists that nuclear is an important part of the mix, but converting that to popular support in a democracy seems almost too great a lift.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:43pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said   9 years later and we appear no closer to approving new nuclear plants in the U.S. and Germany has given up all the gains of its renewables by retiring nuclear rather than coal-fired plants.
[..] but converting that to popular support in a democracy seems almost too great a lift.

I think it is even worse than that. I work (currently) in the civil aviation industry and our company is re-jigging the way we service our customers (airlines and airports) because they are worried about "flight shaming". This rag-tag bunch of great unwashed have really rattled the cage and yet the industry won't/can't see that it is all hypocrisy (I suspect there is some financial gain to be had but I haven't worked that bit out yet). They are taking it seriously "coz Greta said-so" really? Just ignore the poor little puppet.

Yes we *must* clean up our act but I am agog that such a group as Rebellion Extinction has got such press when they are not about climate change - their words! (I can provide references from the idiot Basden himself if required).

Banana anyone?
Edited 2020-01-11 01:44 by CaptainBoing

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:50pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
You come up with some good stuff, Cap'n

I only wish I was clever enough to determine it myself, but I do make note of stuff which cuts through the fluff of panic and populism - hence the 9 year old USA Today paper. I read that in the actual newsprint over breakfast in the Islip Hilton when I was in New York (well, Long Island) on business. It was such an eye-opener I found it online and saved the link in perpetuity for the anti-nuclear brigade.

I am only anti the antis because they lie and cheat to push their own agenda.

"The truth is the truth - even if you don't like it." The measure of teh man is if he will change the way he thinks, the way he believes if it can be demonstrated that firmly entrenched beliefs are incorrect? I try to and openly admit my mistakes (woo! look at me virtue signalling   )
Edited 2020-01-11 01:52 by CaptainBoing

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 05:49pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  "coz Greta said-so"

She also says that she only eats a plant-based diet....and yet she wants to rid the atmosphere of plant food?

I thought this was going to be hard-going but it's actually quite entertaining.

The reporter at 17:20 in Wilmington NC is hilarious.      

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:36pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  ...and yet she wants to rid the atmosphere of plant food?

No one is speaking of eliminating CO2, just of capping the build-up of it at a level which doesn't cause too harmful effects.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just don't mention
Sellafield .

Smile and keep eating the fish and chips right ?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:03pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  Just don't mention
Sellafield .
?

Yeah that was a bad one... rumour has it is did over £20 worth of damage to Blackpool  

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:18pm 10 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  

ridiculous man... see what I mean about a lack of rebuke? If these liars were sued for fraud, that might steady them up a bit when they start realising there's jail time for lying or misrepresenting... extreme but that is what happens when blood boils.

on the subject of bad science, you might enjoy this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#Pirates_and_global_warming

consequently, International speak like a pirate day is an attempt to halt global warming for obvious reasons.
Edited 2020-01-11 07:26 by CaptainBoing

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:43am 11 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
  Quote  "coz Greta said-so"

True enough, but if you look to "local news" on TV, and especially local weather, for information about global heating, you're not looking in the right place. It's sad, but that is so. The only real goal seems to be to capture eyeballs.

CaptainBoing said  If these liars were sued for fraud, that might steady them up a bit when they start realising there's jail time for lying or misrepresenting...

But then what would we do for leaders and elected representatives?

~
Edited 2020-01-11 10:46 by lizby

BrianP

Posted: 03:18am 11 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  Quote  jail time for lying or misrepresenting...

But then what would we do for leaders and elected representatives?

Cynic

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:01pm 11 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
Yeah that was a bad one... rumour has it is did over £20 worth of damage to Blackpool  

This must've been about Blackpool:

Trudging slowly over wet sand
Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen
This is the coastal town
That they forgot to close down
Armageddon, come Armageddon!
Come, Armageddon! Come!
Everyday is like Sunday
Everyday is silent and grey
Hide on the promenade
Etch a postcard :
"How I Dearly Wish I Was Not Here"
In the seaside town
That they forgot to bomb
Come, come, come, nuclear bomb
Everyday is like Sunday
Trudging back over pebbles and sand
And a strange dust lands on your hands
(And on your face)
(On your face)
(On your face)
(On your face)
Everyday is like Sunday
"Win yourself a cheap tray"
Share some greased tea with me

By Morrissey

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:46pm 11 Jan 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
Everyday is like Sunday

By Morrissey

Wow, gripping, but +bleak+. Glad I didn't grow up feeling that way about Sundays, or any other days.

"Monday, Monday; can't trust that day"

Page 5 of 6    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024