Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:42 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 10 of 25    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:41am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://jlcpcb.com/

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:55am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, I will check it out, though being completely new to me this global pcb-ordering-issue.

Andre ... such a GURU?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:58am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just drag and drop the zip file containing the gerbers to their page and it all happens magically. It is a great service, fast and incredibly cheap and the results are perfect.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 10:30am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Damned, I´ve seen the magic  

Please allow me some more naive bothering, but I don´t get the further circumstances.

The Zip-Package is loaded up and the site shows a calculation after processing it.

Now I get the following:

Charge Details
Engineering fee: €3.68
Board: €4.14

Calculated Price: €7.82
Weight: 220g

5 PCB´s are checked on the left, so is this the pricing for finally 5 PCB´s or just for a single one, so to times 5?

5 Boards = €4.14 ?!?

And will the product just be like the examples You and Geoff showed here in quality?
Andre ... such a GURU?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:40am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Price for 5 is €7.82 i.e €1.65 each. The engineering fee gets amortized if you order more so the unit price gets even cheaper. All the boards pictured in this thread come from JLC using exactly that service - quality is always excellent.

Postage will double the cost and there will be a small VAT payment but all these are taken care of if you use their Euro-packet service

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 01:58pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am really astonished by this cheap price, actually I do not care so much about "low prices", but a great side effect will be that the full charge will probably stay under 22 Euros (actually 26 I think) not triggering any german customs duty and those would cause some nasty work.

So one final question, please:

Will I get a completely satisfying board, ready to mount/assemble myself, all including drilling, coating, cut outs etc. pp.

If all yes this is a real epiphany concerning electronics for me .. like magic!

Not kidding!

Andre ... such a GURU?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:08pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Will I get a completely satisfying board, ready to mount/assemble myself, all including drilling, coating, cut outs etc. pp.

Yes. Yes. Yes. The board you see pictured in the thread are exactly as we receive them less the components of course.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 04:16pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now the CMM2 even makes more sense than the CMM1 for absolute Beginners for having no SMD-CPU-Soldering-Issue!

Great, I think MMBASIC reached a huge step-up through this!

Thanks for Your support!

Andre ... such a GURU?

cdeagle

Posted: 06:58pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've recently received the CMM2 board from CircuitGizmos. It's quite compact. Another project well done by Geoff, Peter and other thebackshed folks.

I'm running MMBASIC 5.05.02RC19. Most features seem to be working except I've noticed the following;

(1) I'm using a wired AmazonBasic USB keyboard. The " key is switched with the @ key. All other keys are in the right places. The screen echoes numerous prompt ">" symbols sometimes.

(2) the system does not retain the keyboard type, calendar date and time, even if I set the OPTIONs and TIME$/DATE$ explicitly.

(3) I don't have access to the SD card. I see a "check disk" message on the main screen and if I type the FILES command I get the message "SD card not found". I have tried two full size SD cards (Kingston and SanDisk) and two SanDisk micro SD cards with adapters. The red SD activity LED is blinking slowly.

I am using VGA straight from the CMM2 to a Samsung monitor.

Any help, insight, quantum mechanics tricks, etc. is appreciated.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:13pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use JLC for all my "run" boards (i.e. more than 2 or 3) and I have to say their quality is excellent - and dirt cheap!!!

I often end up ordering more than I need purely because the price difference is negligible and I like to have spares - I've got quite a library now and I find that I can re-purpose them or make a project "fit" an existing board by some creative design quite often. Recently used a Dusk2Dawn light controller with a capacitive dropper just for the DC power side for the temperature module in my new isolation transformer with most of the board unpopulated other than the power side of things. Very nice (I understand droppers are not well liked, but I just need to squeeze off a few mA to run the 'mite+RTC+optoSSR and this is a lot less space and pesos than a mains SMPSU)
Edited 2020-05-12 05:23 by CaptainBoing

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:37pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  'm running MMBASIC 5.05.02RC19. Most features seem to be working except I've noticed the following;

No battery, flat battery, bad battery connection. Without the battery options and time won't save and will disappear on power-on

SD cards there are two main issues.

1: the card sockets don't hold the card against the contacts tightly enough. Try levering the outer edge of the card and see if you can make it work.

2: some cards need slower signals. Try OPTION SD TIMING CONSERVATIVE but not before you sort the battery issue

Make sure OPTION USBKEYBOARD US is set but not before you sort the battery issue

Once all this works we can look at any othere keyboard issues.
Edited 2020-05-12 05:40 by matherp

cdeagle

Posted: 08:21pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter.

Voltmeter shows about 0.3 volts.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Should be 3V. Battery is a CR1220 3V cell

You can check the voltage with the CMM2 using PRINT PIN("BAT")
Edited 2020-05-12 07:32 by matherp

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 04:58am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Still one question concerning JLC-ordering:

About the PCB dimension the "CMM2 Construction Guide" says:
"1 PC board, 128mm x 107mm."

contradicting the detected size by JLC:

"Detected 2 layer board of 103x130mm (4.07x5.11 inches) "

Or is this just due to some board revision lacking a corresponding update of the Construction Guide?

Causing any probs?
Andre ... such a GURU?

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 06:42am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is just me not measuring the prototype PCB accurately.
I would believe JLC so I will change the parts list.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:22am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A new version of the CMM2 firmware V5.05.02RC25 is now available at

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Colour_Maximite_2_MMBasic.zip

This fixes a couple of bugs in the editor.

The editor in the CMM2 is based on  a completely different codeset to the CMM and the Micromites. It allows things like horizontal scrolling so that there is no limit on line-length. Cut and paste is not limited to a fixed number of characters and search is significantly more powerful and includes a replace capability.

Full details for updating the firmware are given in the user manual. No special H/W is required.
Edited 2020-05-12 19:24 by matherp

Bill7300

Posted: 09:56am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  Still one question concerning JLC-ordering:

About the PCB dimension the "CMM2 Construction Guide" says:
"1 PC board, 128mm x 107mm."

contradicting the detected size by JLC:

"Detected 2 layer board of 103x130mm (4.07x5.11 inches) "

Or is this just due to some board revision lacking a corresponding update of the Construction Guide?

Causing any probs?
This is an interesting exchange of information but I am slightly mystified. Where are the pcb files that you are testing on the JLCpcb website. I seem to have seen only the schematic pdf to date?

Bill
Bill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:12am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Where are the pcb files that you are testing on the JLCpcb website. I seem to have seen only the schematic pdf to date?

Geoff's first post - construction pack

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:57am 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Where are the pcb files that you are testing on the JLCpcb website. I seem to have seen only the schematic pdf to date?

Geoff's first post - construction pack

Exactly!

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=12105#145874

----

Still something, but only correct me if I am stupidly wrong.  

I will change the colour (being automatically set to green) manually to blue and will luxuriously    set "Remove Order Number" to YES.

The first times I checked up the JLC upload I thought to have seen that changing colour from green sets up a special fee, but the last time it didn´t ... or I am just confusing it playing around with other parameters like "ROHS" and so on.
Right now it appears only to delay the production for about 2 more days without any extra costs.

Actually I am not sure if customs will kick it back to sender being non ROHS and having no positive information concerning, being printed on the board.

So I think it actually is better to stay under 22 Euros all in all to fly under their radar or otherwise taking the full monty with official ROHS.

JLC claims to deliver their EuroPacket within 5-7 business days ... and actually I cannot believe that for those few bucks they charge.

But probably still a part of the whole Magic ...

Probably I am already too old for it all ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4cR9szMS8

Andre ... such a GURU?

cdeagle

Posted: 12:49pm 12 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Updates to my "fun with the CCM2".

Still no progress getting the SD card to work. Tried adding electrical tape to "top front" of the SD card. Tried "conservative" setting. Tried other SD cards.

Board communicates with Teraterm and Putty.

STM programmer does not recognize serial port on CCM2. Updated the firmware by removing H7XXI from motherboard, connecting directly to the H7XXI (power switch to usb, config switch to system.

Ordered new CR1220 battery.

Page 10 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024