Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:51 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 24 of 25    
Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:14pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

I have a couple of these

They do use real micro switches, I suspect that most of the commercial joysticks do not use them and that's why they wear out. There do seem to be plenty of them available though.

I'm afraid my poor old thumb could not cope with a nunchuk for very long.

Bill

PS Did you ever get to replace the cable on your controller and get it working?
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

abraxas

Posted: 02:21pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Hi Tom,

I have a couple of these

They do use real micro switches, I suspect that most of the commercial joysticks do not use them and that's why they wear out. There do seem to be plenty of them available though.

I'm afraid my poor old thumb could not cope with a nunchuk for very long.

Bill

PS Did you ever get to replace the cable on your controller and get it working?

I like this as a basis for a homebrew joystick. Can you share where you buy them?

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:45pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry abraxas but the place I bought them from doesn't seem to exist any more. Two local places here Jaycar and Altronics sell them for an arm and a leg. Banggood sell something similar. I only paid about $9 AUD a couple of years ago.

I did find these.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 03:36pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  But not if you have arthritic hands or other problems.

I agree that catering for more controllers would be helpful and may help to expand the audience but please don't forget the good old joystick.

For the same nunchuk connectors, we have arcade sticks too:

Can it serves those who have arthritic hands?

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:44pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Hi Tom,

I have a couple of these

<snip>

Yes, these are the ones I was talking about for building your own arcade machines:

Alas not my own work otherwise I would be much more informed in this conversations.

You can even buy these joysticks off Amazon, just "search arcade stick diy", what you can't seem to get is new non-USB standalone retro sticks with buttons. So unless someone is going to build a USB host controller (I think is the correct terminology?) for the CMM2 we are left with Nunchuck (compatible) devices, building our own or presumably butchering USB ones.

Quote  I'm afraid my poor old thumb could not cope with a nunchuk for very long.

I understand, plus it's not the same.

Quote  PS Did you ever get to replace the cable on your controller and get it working?

The replacement cable has been sitting in the inbox on my workbench, it arrived on pretty much the same day as my CMM2 did . Don't worry, I haven't forgotten I promised to send you the original connector so you could smash it to smithereens in your yard.

Regards,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:45pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  For the same nunchuk connectors, we have arcade sticks too:

I stand corrected as to them all being USB ... they do look a bit naff though

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:11pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a table-top CMM2 arcade box. I added buttons and a joystick to it. They are just located on the panel - no electrical connections as of yet.

Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

GregZone

Posted: 10:38pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I prefer my very solidly built Xgaming X-Arcade controller for retro gaming.
Standard connections are USB & PS-2, but you can get adapters for most game systems.
I note they have a 5-in-1 adapter, which includes the Wii.  I don't have this, so might have to consider ordering one.  Although I'll probably wait for their advertised Jamma Adapter to be released, so I can get both adapters for one shipping.

GregZone

Posted: 03:44am 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In case anyone missed it, I just noticed there was a Hackaday write-up on 23 June.

Nice bit of added exposure. 43 comments so far.

BOOT-TO-BASIC BOX PACKS A KILLER GRAPHICS ENGINE

GregZone

Posted: 03:50am 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ps. Someone appropriate (Geoff? / Peter?) needs to update the "Maximite" Wikipedia page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximite

Just sayin.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:50am 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You blokes are missing the most important input device for your game consoles

I got these from a place called "Big Top Amusements" about 15 years ago.
Not sure if they are still going.
They sold some very robust joysticks and buttons for the amusement industry.

Jim

Edit:
It looks like they are more interested in leasing you their machines, rather than selling parts now.
Edited 2020-07-01 16:55 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

at67

Posted: 02:03am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to introduce myself, but I wanted to add my praise and thanks to the creators, developers and testers of the Colour Maximite 2; so I chose this thread.

I'm an old guy who started with a Talking Electronics, (TEC-1), Z80A based single board computer as a teenager with a 6 digit LED 7 segment display and a 5x4 matrix of push buttons as a keyboard and ended up as a games developer and real-time 3d simulations engineer, (now semi-retired).

With all this spare time on my hands I've been breathing new life into my multiple Amiga's and old systems I have collected over the years, messing about with the Gigatron TTL and soon to be coding on my just recently ordered Colour Maximite 2.

I want to thank everyone involved in the Maximite's creation and realisation; IMHO you have done a superb job in modernising what made 80's personal computing so memorable.

panky

Guru

Posted: 03:38am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

at67 said  Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to introduce myself, but I wanted to add my praise and thanks to the creators, developers and testers of the Colour Maximite 2; so I chose this thread.

Welcome to the forum - there are a number of Maximite enthusiasts here who are always keen to assist new members.

panky
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 04:31am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

at67 said  Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to introduce myself, but I wanted to add my praise and thanks to the creators, developers and testers of the Colour Maximite 2; so I chose this thread.

Yes, another warm welcome to the forum. There are some really clever game coders out there and a couple on this forum, I sure the release of a few great graphic games will really get thing going for the CMM2, and who knows what will follow.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

darthvader

Posted: 12:10am 03 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ,

A couple years ago i get some joystick and buttons from here :

Joystick

Button

They have all colors  

For info , i never was able to kill the joy , it's very strong but a little big compared to the CCM2  
Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:30am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is the result of a six month project involving eight people

The eight people seem to be mainly from britain or at least an international effort, any australian citizens in the development ?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:43am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  
It is the result of a six month project involving eight people

The eight people seem to be mainly from britain or at least an international effort, any australian citizens in the development ?

3 from UK
1 from US
1 from NZ
1 from Brazil
2 from AU (I assume you count Tasmania as part of AU)

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 02:44pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  Turbo46 said  Hi Tom,

I have a couple of these

<snip>

Yes, these are the ones I was talking about for building your own arcade machines:

Alas not my own work otherwise I would be much more informed in this conversations.

You can even buy these joysticks off Amazon, just "search arcade stick diy", what you can't seem to get is new non-USB standalone retro sticks with buttons. So unless someone is going to build a USB host controller (I think is the correct terminology?) for the CMM2 we are left with Nunchuck (compatible) devices, building our own or presumably butchering USB ones.

I found the search term: arcade joystick case

for if you want to put one of the button and joystick kits in a pre-made arcade stick case instead of making a large arcade cabinet.

It looks fairly easy to put the buttons and joystick into the case, and they usually seem to come without the USB interface attached, so you could hook the wires up to something else (e.g. your computer interface pins, or with only one button to a 9 pin Atari joystick interface) without hacking them up.

However, I don't know if anyone's tried it, I've only seen videos where people use the USB interface.

-- Caspian

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 06:53am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just to let everyone know... The source to The Colour Maximite 2 V5.05.03 is now available for download.  If you go to http://mmbasic.com/source.html and fill in the form you will get an email with links to all the MMBasic sources including the Colour Maximite 2 version.

Please note that this is for personal use (not commercial and not for redistribution).  If you add something useful to the source please send it to Peter or myself and we will look at including it in the full release.

I have had some trouble with this website for the past six months (hopefully now fixed) so if you had previously requested the source and received nothing please try again or email me at geoff@mmbasic.com.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 11:59am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Littlebird have a range of arcade stuff eg here, they are pretty good as suppliers go

Page 24 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024