Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:40 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 9 of 25    
Poppy

Guru

Posted: 01:37pm 09 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is one thing I like to ask all others.

Do you prefer the One-PCB-Version or the "Saucer Separation"-Functionality?

On the one hand the One-PCB is more genuine, a full-grown CMM 2, but on the other the separate MCU can be replaced or generally used solely in case of any need to.

Edited 2020-05-10 18:22 by Gizmo
Andre ... such a GURU?

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 09 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i rather like the daughterboard design - it means if something breaks one can swap out one or other of the PCBs. plus one can 'upgrade' later on to a different motherboard if other enhancements come along. given the cost of the CPU board components (approx us$20 by my calculations), it is pretty good value for the added versatility and not having to solder the CPU.

cheers,
rob  :-)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:27am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sasquatch said  Nice Work Everyone  

matherp said  
I've done a single PCB version of the CMM2

There are also the gerbers, BOM and component placement files needed to get them manufactured by JLC. This is very cost effective but unfortunately they are currently out of stock of the processor which makes them manufacturing them rather pointless. They can only do surface mount on one side so you still have do solder the SDRAM and some capacitors on the bottom together with the various through-hole components.

The board can be hand-soldered if you are very confident with SMD. I've done 3 and WhiteWizzard has also completed one.

Are the Gerber files for the single PCB version available yet?  Also the solder stencil files would be nice.  I was just about to order PCB's for the version with the WaveShare module and I could add a couple of these to the order.

Hello.

I don't think matherp has released the all-in-one gerber set yet, but I am sure that when he does, there will be SMD paste gerbers in the set, which the PCB house can then use to make stencils from.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:06am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  i rather like the daughterboard design - it means if something breaks one can swap out one or other of the PCBs. plus one can 'upgrade' later on to a different motherboard if other enhancements come along. given the cost of the CPU board components (approx us$20 by my calculations), it is pretty good value for the added versatility and not having to solder the CPU.

Exactly the way I feel about it.

I was going to order one from CircuitGizmos but I want mine to fit in a case and the rear connector on his board does not suit that. I guess I'll have to wait for an SC kit (depending on the NZ postal situation).

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:42am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ matherp, Thank you for the graphics tutorial in the other post. That is exactly the kind of thing I need, down to a low enough level so I can understand what's going on, but still giving impressive results.

Writing here to avoid cluttering your post.

bill

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 06:30am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Preparing to get all parts together for soldering my own motherboard I am struggling with the 2.00 mm pins of the MCU-Board, is there any smooth way to get those 2.00 mm pins adapted to 2.54 mm breadboards or prototype-pcb´s?

I think this (at least for me very unusual but challenging) pitch-issue is a heavy disadvantage of the Waveshare-Board.

Edited 2020-05-10 18:26 by Gizmo
Andre ... such a GURU?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:39am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Guys.

Got the messages regarding Trent. I've disabled his account and will clean up the thread later this evening.

Thanks
Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 08:32am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, deleted a heap of posts. Sorry if I deleted something of yours that you would prefer I didn't, but there was a lot of crap in there.

Thanks for the heads up. I dont get a chance to read every post, so appreciate it when members get in touch to let me know if a thread was getting way off topic or we have a rogue member.

Trent, sorry mate but you were getting way off topic and just seamed to be poking members with a stick to get a reaction. Not the place.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:52am 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Preparing to get all parts together for soldering my own motherboard I am struggling with the 2.00 mm pins of the MCU-Board, is there any smooth way to get those 2.00 mm pins adapted to 2.54 mm breadboards or prototype-pcb´s?

Yes - if you must  

P.S. Thanks Glenn
Edited 2020-05-10 18:53 by matherp

flasherror

Posted: 01:01pm 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is there any chance of cheap volume production for CM2?

I'm thinking of how there are tons of cheap Arduino Unos, Nanos, Minis etc from China.

What would help rapid adoption of CM2/*mites in general is a standard board that is inexpensive - the *mite equivalent of the Arduino clones.

I know there are a few different sellers/relatively low volume producers, most who frequent this forum and are part of the community. This suggestion isn't intended to offend anyone and I'm not trying to reduce anyone's sales.

However one obstacle to future growth and adoption is the higher cost of implementing solutions vs Arduino as well as availability.

What's needed is something like what Olimex did with Duinomite Mega boards in terms of having a fully assembled ready-to-go board that was inexpensive.

I think given the previous popularity of *mites there would be demand shortly for a China produced assembled ready-to-go PCB (especially after the Silicon Chip article is published).

I would rather deal with Basic than C for things like string handling etc and given the execution speed of CM2 I think many of the traditional disadvantages of BASIC are mitigated. (Python does much the same thing and micropython runs on many inexpensive boards - ESP8266/32 etc)

Speaking of ESP32, can MMBasic be ported to it? (Future micromite? This would allow cheap modules with Wifi/Bluetooth built-in)

And yes, I know there is a big difference between an Arduino Uno and CM2  

What do you think?
Edited 2020-05-10 23:09 by flasherror

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 03:41pm 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  
I was going to order one from CircuitGizmos but I want mine to fit in a case and the rear connector on his board does not suit that. I guess I'll have to wait for an SC kit (depending on the NZ postal situation).

What is it that you need for the rear connector? Right angle?
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 08:27pm 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  What is it that you need for the rear connector? Right angle?

Yes, as per Geoff's construction pack. I guess a ribbon cable could still be connected though. The other thing that worries me is the cut outs in the front and rear panels although I could live without them (the panels).

@ matherp, Thanks again for the tutorial, I now know how to implement something I want to try when the time comes. Is that a starfield simulation a loaded image or just a very dusty screen?

@ Glenn, Thanks.

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:08pm 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  The other thing that worries me is the cut outs in the front and rear panels although I could live without them (the panels).

Hopefully I'm reporting this correctly, not revealing any trade secrets and not teaching anyone's Grandma how to suck eggs, but the WhiteWizard had a clever solution to this for the CMM which was to have the front and back panels manufactured as blank PCBs with the necessary cutouts.

I don't think he has got around to this yet for the CMM2 as mine is coming fully constructed without panels, but with a promise for them to follow later.

Can't recommend www.MicroMite.org enough for anyone in UK, and presumably beyond. Though I know you Aussies have your local sources.

Regards,

Tom
Edited 2020-05-11 08:40 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:33pm 10 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've got one on it's way from CG. (thanks BTW)

I decided I really didn't want to build one myself ATM. Less chance of stuffing it up.

As long as it goes, I'll be happy.

Should be able to put a break-out cable on the output pins if necessary or just use jumper leads for small tests.

I'm going to try to discipline myself to find out what the CMM2 can do & plan ahead a bit (& NOT TO DO ANY MODS TO IT) before I actually do stuff with it.

@ matherp. Thanks for the graphics tutes. Gaining insights into how things work in the background is good.

@ Glenn Thanks from me as well.

Brian
ChopperP

Cyber

Posted: 03:39am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just noticed one thing... How will IR remote receiver work with front panel? There is no window or hole opposite ot.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:58am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please find attached my original dxf file of the front and rear panels. I have used both a CNC router with a 1.5mm endmill and a laser diode to cut them out - both successful. It includes the cut-out for the IR receiver and also a keyed slot for the Nunchuck.  

CMM2V2.1.zip
Edited 2020-05-11 17:03 by matherp

panky

Guru

Posted: 07:27am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Also find attached, .STL files for the front and rear panels.

These were created with FreeCAD and printed on a FlashForge Finder 3D printer. The Flashforge printed true to within 0.5mm in the 'Fine' setting at 220 degrees C using Flashforge black PLA. No brim was required. Dimensions are as shown in Geoff's build notes.

There is no hole for the IR sensor but it is a simple matter to drill a suitable hole through the front panel.

cmm2-front-panel.zip

cmm2-rear-panel.zip
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:35am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Preparing to get all parts together for soldering my own motherboard I am struggling with the 2.00 mm pins of the MCU-Board, is there any smooth way to get those 2.00 mm pins adapted to 2.54 mm breadboards or prototype-pcb´s?

Yes - if you must  

Hopefully not, but thanks.

Anyone around knowing a reliable and reasonably pricing shop in Germany (on own experiences) to produce some single Motherboards?
Sadly I don´t yet?

Andre ... such a GURU?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:45am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Anyone around knowing a reliable and reasonably pricing shop in Germany (on own experiences) to produce some single Motherboards?

JLC now ship via Germany using their Euro-Pak shipping which is very cost effective. 5 PCBs are only roughly €7 + shipping so not worth going anywhere else

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:18am 11 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Anyone around knowing a reliable and reasonably pricing shop in Germany (on own experiences) to produce some single Motherboards?

JLC now ship via Germany using their Euro-Pak shipping which is very cost effective. 5 PCBs are only roughly €7 + shipping so not worth going anywhere else

Thanks, do you have a link for me, I don´t know "JLC" at all.

Andre ... such a GURU?

Page 9 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024