Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:50 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MicroMite still in business?

Page 2 of 3    
jean-yves

Posted: 10:33am 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm coming up to 1 month since I placed my order, so I'm not expecting it soon but I do check about 3-4 times a day to see whether the status has changed.  

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:22pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All,

VERY busy here - apologies for not responding to all emails.

Priority is on dispatching rather than responding to every single email received (sorry!)

Ran out of cases on Sunday. I was expecting 200 more ABS cases on Friday but DHL re-scheduled for today; they're not here yet.

Getting between 10 and 20 orders despatched each day. Down to just myself testing & packaging at the moment since my extra helper has to self-isolate (his second time in seven weeks).

Added issue now of several European delivery service-providers not leaving calling cards for when there is no answer at the door. Package is then being sent back to me (and customers getting upset that they weren't informed of an attempted delivery). I am sending out new units in these situations at my cost of re-shipping.

Will aim to update website timescales later (been on my to-do list for too long).

Finally - a big THANKS to everyone who has given me your feedback via email - great to hear from you.

And for those of you still waiting - drop me an email with your TBS screen-name and order number (I probably won't reply to your email - but I will do my best to get to your order asap).

Must now get back to testing and packaging......

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

jean-yves

Posted: 02:25pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi WW,

I hope you did not read my comment as anything except me being very excited at the prospect of getting the CMM2.  I appreciate that circumstances must be very tricky right now and fully accept that there will be delays.  

I will drop you an email as requested, but please don't put yourself under any more pressure on my account. I can wait (sort of, mostly..... :D )

BruderJo

Posted: 03:27pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nonicx said  Hi again,

more than 8 weeks are passed since I ordered the CMM2 and my order #2611 is still processing. ...  

Hey, you're a lucky one and probably will receive your device sooner than me. (I have order #2680, Aug03)
Waiting is boring. haha.

This f****g virus is causing so much trouble everywhere. I appreciate Whitewizard's work and I wish him to stay healthy.

elk1984

Posted: 08:28pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  And it's a +2 to micromite.org from me too.

Tom

And me.  I think a small mention by the 8-bit Guy and Deebuglive might have slightly stoked demand  

For everyone still waiting, it's well worth it.  I had great service from WhiteWizzard and it's thanks to him I found these forums.

MustardMan

Posted: 09:37pm 21 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I ordered a bunch of MicroMite Explore 100's back in December 2019. COVID was not a thing when I ordered, but then it hit hard and everyone went into panic mode. All sorts of shipping and delivery went berserk. Phil was able to ship my boards a few at a time as they were completed, and the final ones came in June (2020).

I have been very happy with micromite.org, and I didn't realise that they were so flat out. Fortunately international couriers now seem to have sorted their stuff out, but there are some companies that still don't seem to have 'got it'. And without feedback to the sender, the sender will believe everything is OK (I had the same issues with some boards not turning up, requiring a resend).

Over here in Aus, contract PCB assembly is eye-wateringly expensive, and it probably is in the UK as well. Doing complete assemblies would be even more so, and people are simply not willing to pay that sort of money for a 'hobbiest toy'. The arduino boards are remarkably cheap (guaranteed to be made in China) but the number of those being sold is likely in the thousands, or tens of thousands, not the hundreds that the MM2 is counting. Until the numbers justify the set-up costs, it is likely they will sadly remain "niche" products. I personally far prefer the MicroMite family products over the arduino products.

Cheers,

HellbentHorse

Posted: 12:08am 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MustardMan said  Over here in Aus, contract PCB assembly is eye-wateringly expensive, and it probably is in the UK as well. Doing complete assemblies would be even more so, and people are simply not willing to pay that sort of money for a 'hobbiest toy'. The arduino boards are remarkably cheap (guaranteed to be made in China) but the number of those being sold is likely in the thousands, or tens of thousands, not the hundreds that the MM2 is counting. Until the numbers justify the set-up costs, it is likely they will sadly remain "niche" products. I personally far prefer the MicroMite family products over the arduino products.

Yes unfortunately a lot of such electronics fun here really hits the hip pocket. I guess the best we can hope for to get a more local solution is to continue to spread the good word about the 'mites family in the hopes popularity here continues to grow.

I think the great work being done to display especially the CMM2 capabilities with demo/welcome tapes along with some stellar games being put out there will hopefully spur community growth.

Fingers and toes crossed!

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 03:08am 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   a more local solution

eg BigMik, Silicon Chip...

MustardMan

Posted: 08:23am 25 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the ease of use is probably the biggest potential selling point of the MicroMite family. Sure it needs an interpreter, but that is already loaded if you buy a pre-made board (or kit), and with just a serial terminal emulator being able to type something like "PIN(20) = 1" makes it SO simple to use!

No need for an IDE if you don't want one, and no need to call programs "sketches" so people don't get scared.

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 26 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got my CMM2 kit a few days ago from MicroMite. Yes, the wait was long but the kit is in perfect condition. Thanks to WhiteWizard and his team for hanging in there during the storm of orders!

-Bill

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:31am 27 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How long did it and will it still take?

I am struggling between placing a new order there and simply forgetting all that issue for recommending to german beginners.

The CMM2 actually never reached out to Germany (actually none of all MMīs ever, except substitutionally the Duinomite) and GB will be off Europe soon, so all plus unnecessary extra 19% from then on.

Andre ... such a GURU?

IanT

Posted: 10:41am 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Best get your order in sooner than later then Andre.  :-)

Regards,

IanT

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:16pm 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

IanT said  Best get your order in sooner than later then Andre.  :-)

Regards,

IanT

Thanks for replying Ian, but about Sooner or Later I think I will see if itīs worth it after a year, for now the whole CMM2 issue just got boring personally for me. I never was such a videogame dependant, more doing BASIC data processing.

I will stick to my Duinomite and Micromites predominantly for electronics and leave the rest out for myself for now.

My point is just if the CMM2 is recommendable for pure BASIC beginners and actually it is not, the same issue it was with the original Maximite except practically the Duinomite, still too complicated to get or built one over here.

I am not complainig about the product itself, it still is great stuff, but Australia is just too far away to reach Germany effectively and England soon will be.

Andre ... such a GURU?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said   . . . My point is just if the CMM2 is recommendable for pure BASIC beginners and actually it is not . . .

Highly debatable, of course--depending on circumstances. And depending on what your definition of "pure" is and perhaps what your definition of "actual" is.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 01:23pm 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  Poppy said   . . . My point is just if the CMM2 is recommendable for pure BASIC beginners and actually it is not . . .

Highly debatable, of course--depending on circumstances. And depending on what your definition of "pure" is and perhaps what your definition of "actual" is.

Not depending on BASIC itself, the hardware is not easily available so it is not easily recommendable, thatīs just all about it for me.

The MMBasic is great and the hardware itself as well, but it is not easily practicable.

It is just about being easy to achieve or not.

And thatīs a pity ... for still being not!
Andre ... such a GURU?

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 01:59pm 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Q) Why do the english drink warm beer ?
A) They have english refrigerators ...

**** JOKING ****

But seriously it is a fair comment I think.  A week waiting is not wonderful. Two weeks is enough to make you pause before buying something. A month is crap, two months ridiculous. No email replies ? Forget it, it is not viable.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:18pm 28 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  

But seriously it is a fair comment I think.

The Fridge?

Yes indeed!

I am not complaining about micromite.org, this is Britain, I am complaining about Germany itself.

One little pre-professional vendor soon being completely "insulated" from Europe does not have the duty to backup any part of the continent and currently all issues depending on those surely stressing demands are also surely overwhelming, but at least there is happening something and the CMM2 will just have missed Germany as much as the MM or CMM1 had done before.

And if anyone remembers that I was complaining some time before the CMM2 came up, that something like this was missing to successfully re-establish BASIC back again ...

... now "it is" but not "really" ... at least here!

Germans are idiots - not all of them, just many, actually thatīs it!

PS: Police rocks!  
Edited 2020-09-29 00:25 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

BruderJo

Posted: 09:42am 29 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

William Leue said  Got my CMM2 kit a few days ago from MicroMite. Yes, the wait was long but the kit is in perfect condition. Thanks to WhiteWizard and his team for hanging in there during the storm of orders!

-Bill

Thanks alot for this update.
Seems, we can calculate about 10 weeks between order and receiption.
The bow wave of orders is moving forward and my device might approach mid of next month. Still early enough not to pay extra taxes.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:46am 29 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  Q) Why do the english drink warm beer ?

We don't.

Well, I suppose some may do but I don't know anyone who does and am unaware of anyone ever doing so.  (I'm happy to believe some may exist, even so.)

Looks akin to (the ridiculous) "have you stopped beating your wife".

John

BruderJo

Posted: 05:34am 02 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  zeitfest said  Q) Why do the english drink warm beer ?

We don't.

Well, I suppose some may do but I don't know anyone who does and am unaware of anyone ever doing so.  (I'm happy to believe some may exist, even so.)

Looks akin to (the ridiculous) "have you stopped beating your wife".

John

Things to avoid: Cold woman and warm beer.

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024