Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:45 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: V5.06.00b1 - Pages and Pages

Page 2 of 3    
vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:53pm 22 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  2. Behaviour of CWD$() inconsistent between root directory and sub-directories

I think this is good. This makes it easy to identify when at the root directory.
IF RIGHT$(CWD$,1) = "/" THEN at root directory
ELSE in sub-directory

=============
I have another directory issue in which I don't think the CMM2 behaves in a sensible way.

Suppose I am working on a BAS file in a sub-directory. This program includes support files that are in the same directory. I can edit, run, etc, all is fine. I turn off the CMM2 until next morning.

When I turn it back on, bottom center of the screen shows the program I was working on: "A:/ThisDir/ThisProg.BAS"
Great! I type RUN and ...
"Error in line xx: Could not find the file"
Not so great.

So what is a sensible solution?
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:55pm 22 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  

When I turn it back on, bottom center of the screen shows the program I was working on: "A:/ThisDir/ThisProg.BAS"
Not so great.

This is a common problem with Windows programming also.
Try this at the start of your program:
 PRINT CWD$
 p$ = MM.INFO(CURRENT)
 FOR n = LEN(p$) TO 1 STEP -1
   IF MID$(p$,n,1) = "/" THEN EXIT FOR
 NEXT n
 p$ = LEFT$(p$,n-1)
 PRINT p$

CHDIR p$

PRINT CWD$

You don't need the trailing / for the root directory so there is no need to test for that case.
As far as I know, there should always be at least one '/' in the MM.INFO(CURRENT) and not as the first character but smart programming would test.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:49am 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  
  vegipete said  

Not so great.

This is a common problem with Windows programming also.
Try this at the start of your program:
... CHDIR p$ ...

YMMV but I'm of the opinion that programs that change the current working directory and do not restore it are not "good citizens", ideally the restoration should be done ASAP so as to reduce the chance of the program exiting with an error and leaving the CWD changed.

I believe some file commands on earlier 'mites (though I only have first-hand experience of the the CMM1) did not accept paths, or relative paths, or displayed various other 'idiosyncracies' however after some prompting @matherp has resolved all(?) of these for the CMM2 which means that instead of changing the CWD you can always specify a path to any file you need to access.

If you look at the Welcome Tape version of "Lunar Lander" you can see this in practice, e.g.
LOAD PNG WE.PROG_DIR$ + "/LanderPict.png"

Where WE.PROG_DIR$ comes from "common/welcome.inc":
Const WE.PROG_DIR$ = we.get_parent$(Mm.Info$(Current))

' Gets the parent directory of 'f$', or the empty string if it does not have one.
Function we.get_parent$(f$)
 Local i%

For i% = Len(f$) To 1 Step -1
   If InStr("/\", Mid$(f$, i%, 1)) > 0 Then Exit For
 Next i%

If i% = 0 Then
   we.get_parent$ = ""
 Else
   we.get_parent$ = Left$(f$, i% - 1)
 EndIf
End Function

Which is my equivalent to Jim's code.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:19am 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Definitely agree with Tom on this one. I could restore the working directory to the directory of any stored program on power-up but IMHO that would be even more confusing in most circumstances so I think it is down to the programmer to use good practice and make their code completely independent of where any given user chooses to install it. and which directory they are in when they run it. I believe MMBASIC on the CMM2 gives you all the tools you need to do this.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Definitely agree with Tom on this one.

Getting that printed out in big type and framed

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:36am 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since it's such a useful piece of information, should you consider adding something like this so as to avoid the song and dance to determine it?

prog_dir$ = MM.INFO$(CURRENT PROG DIR)

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-11-23 21:40 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:49am 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  should you consider adding something like this so as to avoid the song and dance to determine it?

What does it return? The directory in which the current program file is located?

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  should you consider adding something like this so as to avoid the song and dance to determine it?

What does it return? The directory in which the current program file is located?

Yes, because that is the piece of information you require to make a program run (and access its assets) independent of where it is situated. As shown above you can determine it as the parent of MM.INFO$(CURRENT), but if it could be added to the firmware it would save others the inconvenience of including that piece of code everywhere.

I'd ask for a PARENT$(f$) function, but I'm aware of the limitations

Tom
Edited 2020-11-23 22:01 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:25pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If I do it logically it will have to be compatible with CWD$

e.g.

A:/

or

A:/zmim

good enough?

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  If I do it logically it will have to be compatible with CWD$

e.g.

A:/

or

A:/zmim

good enough?

To be honest, not really  , because the client code would still have to do this to be bullet-proof:

relative_path_of_asset$ = "subdir/foo.png"
path_to_asset$ = MM.INFO$(CURRENT PROG DIR)
IF RIGHT$(path_to_asset$, 1) <> "/" THEN CAT path_to_asset$, "/"
CAT path_to_asset$, relative_path_of_asset$

This is why the historical behaviour of CWD$ is so problematic in the first place.

Regards,

Tom
Edited 2020-11-23 22:34 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you tried mm.info(path)? doesn't this do what you want now? I'm sure you must have asked for it? Not in the manual though hmmmmmm
Edited 2020-11-23 22:42 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:44pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Have you tried mm.info(path)? doesn't this do what you want now? I'm sure you must have asked for it?

OK, that does work (and is inconsistent with CWD$  ), but I don't "think" it was me - needs adding to the documentation in any case. I asked for SEARCH PATH.

Thanks anyway,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:48pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One more thing, is there any chance DIR$() could return values in alphabetic sorted case-insensitive order instead of, what looks random, but I guess is "created" order ?

I'm fairly certain the former would be more useful, and computing it in BASIC is potentially expensive in either time or space because unless the CMM2 is applying some artifical limit of its own I believe a directory can contain 1000's of entries can't it ?

If it can't then it's fine, I've written the code to deal with the issue myself, but it does no harm to ask.

Tom

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 12:53pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  One more thing, is there any chance DIR$() could return values in alphabetic sorted case-insensitive order instead of, what looks random, but I guess is "created" order ?

I'm fairly certain the former would be more useful, and computing it in BASIC is potentially expensive in either time or space because unless the CMM2 is applying some artifical limit of its own I believe a directory can contain 1000's of entries can't it ?

If it can't then it's fine, I've written the code to deal with the issue myself, but it does no harm to ask.

Tom

Hi Tom,
I would like to leave it so as is now... I let to the users of NC also switch to unsorted view and with your idea we will loose the ability to see the structure as was created (and you can not get unsorted list, but sort you can anytime...)
Edited 2020-11-23 22:54 by jirsoft
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  Hi Tom,
I would like to leave it so as is now... I let to the users of NC also switch to unsorted view and with your idea we will loose the ability to see the structure as was created (and you can not get unsorted list, but sort you can anytime...)

This is undoubtedly true and a good argument.

Have you stress tested NC with huge directories ? Looks like you have imposed an artifical 500 item limit, what happens if you exceed that ?

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:01pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I probably agree that cwd$ is wrong but, I've checked, and as it is the same in all MMBasic versions it isn't something I can change. I could add mm.info(cwd) which would give a string that always ends with a /

DIR$ can't be sorted as it would need to create a big datastructure and hold hold it between calls
Edited 2020-11-23 23:03 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:10pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I probably agree that cwd$ is wrong but, I've checked, and as it is the same in all MMBasic versions it isn't something I can change. I could add mm.info(cwd) which would give a string that always ends with a /

I'm not sure what is for the best Peter. I guess MM.INFO$(PATH) fulfills the actual use-case so maybe get that documented and maybe add something to the documentation of CWD$ but otherwise leave well alone ?

matherp said  DIR$ can't be sorted as it would need to create a big datastructure and hold hold it between calls

I figured as much. One thing I "think" you could do is hold the last returned path and use that as a start point from which to determine what to return next but it would undoubtedly be slower than what you do now. I thought about doing it myself in BASIC, but ultimately decided it would need to go straight to a CSUB to be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:13pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@jirsoft, I'm not swearing to it but I think array.sort() in https://github.com/thwill1000/sptools/blob/develop-r1b3/src/common/array.inc probably has better speed if not space performance than NCsort(). If nothing else it might serve as inspiration for improvements.

Best wishes,

Tom

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 02:09pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  @jirsoft, I'm not swearing to it but I think array.sort() in https://github.com/thwill1000/sptools/blob/develop-r1b3/src/common/array.inc probably has better speed if not space performance than NCsort(). If nothing else it might serve as inspiration for improvements.

Best wishes,

Tom

Thanks Tom,
I will for sure look on it (I already used built-in SOR() methods, but something stopped me from use it). I know since begin, that some methods in NC are slow, but I needed to have it done (and was too lazy for the moment look for faster alternatives) and now, when NC is near to my goal of functionality, it's time for optimisation...

First I will finish the server (in Python), and then NC need to be all throughly tested (and make it faster).
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 23 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  jirsoft said  Hi Tom,

This is undoubtedly true and a good argument.

Have you stress tested NC with huge directories ? Looks like you have imposed an artifical 500 item limit, what happens if you exceed that ?

Tom

Another argument is listing DIRs before FILEs or mix it. On MacOS is standard sort it mixed, on Windows DIRs first...

And for big directories: I didn't test it yet, but as you say, it's just artificial limit... I don't know, if is some limitation comming directly from SD card driver? And I can still set some limit, but give a warning.
And current limit will I test, until now, I was just programming as good as I could.
Jiri

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024