Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:25 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: V5.07.00b12 - Various fixes

Page 8 of 9    
epsilon

Posted: 09:10am 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I spent a day tracking down a mysterious lock-up after making a trivial change in my game engine code. I finally realized I hit the 512 global variables limit. That is a major showstopper. Is there any chance at all to increase this limit?
Epsilon CMM2 projects

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:16am 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Is there any chance at all to increase this limit?

No: it is fundamental to the hashing lookup mechanism that gives the performance on the CMM2

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:33am 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Is there any chance at all to increase this limit?

No: it is fundamental to the hashing lookup mechanism that gives the performance on the CMM2

Epsilon, I imagine some / many (?) of them are integer constants ? It sounds like you are reaching the stage where you need to consider using a pre-processor to inline them so they don't take up global variable slots.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-05-19 19:33 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

epsilon

Posted: 10:13am 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
Epsilon, I imagine some / many (?) of them are integer constants ? It sounds like you are reaching the stage where you need to consider using a pre-processor to inline them so they don't take up global variable slots.

Yes! I was thinking exactly the same thing. I didn't realize that constants would count as globals. Even with the simple #define text replacement feature I should be able to eliminate a ton of constants (and probably gain some performance in the process). That also opens the door to grouping certain related globals (things you would put in a struct in C) into tables indexed by a #define'd 'constant'.

I am concerned however that I'm already hitting this limit now, with just the game engine code. I don't even have a game yet...
Epsilon CMM2 projects

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 12:10pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

epsilon said  
  thwill said  

Yes! I was thinking exactly the same thing. I didn't realize that constants would count as globals. Even with the simple #define text replacement feature I should be able to eliminate a ton of constants (and probably gain some performance in the process). That also opens the door to grouping certain related globals (things you would put in a struct in C) into tables indexed by a #define'd 'constant'.

I am concerned however that I'm already hitting this limit now, with just the game engine code. I don't even have a game yet...

Does an array count as one variable or does it count as one for each element? If it's just one variable, then you could have hundreds or even thousands more variables stored as array elements.

epsilon

Posted: 12:44pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"toml_12953" said  
Does an array count as one variable or does it count as one for each element? If it's just one variable, then you could have hundreds or even thousands more variables stored as array elements.

An array is one variable. So you're right, I could group all integers into one integer array, all floats into one float array, all integer one-dimensional arrays into one two-dimensional arrays etc. In the extreme, that means just one global per data type (float, int, and strings of various lengths), and data access is done explicitly by array indexing instead of implicitly (by MMBasic interpreter) through hash look-up.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:56pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

epsilon said  An array is one variable. So you're right, I could group all integers into one integer array, all floats into one float array, all integer one-dimensional arrays into one two-dimensional arrays etc. In the extreme, that means just one global per data type (float, int, and strings of various lengths), and data access is done explicitly by array indexing instead of implicitly (by MMBasic interpreter) through hash look-up.

But if you use constants as a way to indicate which array element means what, then you're back in the same situation (constants count as variables) unless you use the preprocessing method to replace the constant names with the constant values. Then if you're debugging, the statement listed upon an error break may just be a slew of numbers--you'd have to refer back to your source to see what intended variables were at fault.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

epsilon

Posted: 01:05pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  But if you use constants as a way to indicate which array element means what, then you're back in the same situation (constants count as variables) unless you use the preprocessing method to replace the constant names with the constant values. Then if you're debugging, the statement listed upon an error break may just be a slew of numbers--you'd have to refer back to your source to see what intended variables were at fault.

Yes, the preprocessing method is key to make this work... unless the upper limit for #defines is also 512...
I wouldn't actually go as far as grouping variables into arrays unless I really have to. I can free up half the globals space just by replacing my CONSTs with #defines, without much code impact.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

epsilon

Posted: 01:41pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

epsilon said  unless the upper limit for #defines is also 512...

It's much less apparently. I did 127 const to #define replacements and I get this error:  

> *xd_demo
Too many #DEFINE statements

Bummer
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:28pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can only have up to 64 #DEFINEs according to the CMM2 manual.

That's not made your day, has it?  :(
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:53pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  You can only have up to 64 #DEFINEs according to the CMM2 manual.

I wonder if there is any intrinsic reason for this limit, Peter ?

The transpiler I wrote as part of sptools (https://github.com/thwill1000/sptools/tree/develop-r1b3) can handle 200 replacements and could easily handle more.

HOWEVER:

1. It is significantly less convenient than the #define facility as it basically adds a "compile" step to the workflow.

2. I am really only maintaining it to the extent that I personally require, as (with the exception of MMEdit) there seems to be even less interest in tools on TBS than there is in games.

If you do end up looking at it then please use the "develop-r1b3" branch and be aware I am currently force-pushing to it; though I will stop that malpractice if anyone else starts using it.

I wonder if building a generic game engine on-top of a non compiling/hotspot interpreter is asking a bit much of even the CMM2 ? Are you using a lot of CSUBs to support it ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-05-20 02:21 by thwill

epsilon

Posted: 05:00pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  
You can only have up to 64 #DEFINEs according to the CMM2 manual.

That's not made your day, has it?  :(

*Epsilon rage quits CMM2*  

thwill said  
I wonder if there is any intrinsic reason for this limit, Peter ?

That would indeed be the preferred solution. Unfortunately, Peter always gets put on the spot.

thwill said  
2. I am really only maintaining it to the extent that I personally require, as (with the exception of MMEdit) there seems to be even less interest in tools on TBS than there is in games.

The NIH is strong in this group.
If it's any consolation, as far as I know I'm the only xedit user, but I'm OK with that. If this game-engine comes to fruition, I'll probably be the only user of that as well. It's a niche in a niche.

thwill said  
If you do end up looking at it then please use the "develop-r1b3" branch and be aware I am currently force-pushing to it; though I will stop that malpractice if anyone else starts using it.

I might use it, if Peter says no.
However, I still think there's a lot of value in oneliner macros with arguments. It increases the expressiveness of the code without incurring performance overhead. I don't want to push that as a feature request on you (I save all feature requests for Peter), so I might decide to roll-my-own. More NIH.

thwill said  
I wonder if building a generic game engine on-top of a non compiling/hotspot interpreter is asking a bit much of even the CMM2 ?

It is. I'm hitting limits left-and-right. But that's when things get interesting  

thwill said  
Are you using a lot of CSUBs to support it ?

I am. I'm actually seeing the game engine as a kind of middleware component, a bit like Peter's 3D engine in the FW. The code itself doesn't have to be MMBasic, but it allows the user code, i.e. the game code, to be written in MMBasic.
If I had full access to the CMM2 platform API in C, I would probably write the entire engine in C.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:58pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would it be too slow to use a CSUB and POKE/PEEK to store data in for when it's needed  rather than using variables? At least for some of the least used. Rather like an array, but you could mix everything apart from strings in it. As it's part of the program you don't need to load it from DATA statements either.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:11pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can I suggest spinning off a new thread "CMM2: pushing the limits" or some such. I'd do it myself but I'm on my phone so copy and pasting between threads isn't easy.

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:35pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

b34 - 256 #defines

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Beta.zip

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:49pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know what NIH (*) normally means but it looks to be something else in this thread - please explain!

* Not Invented Here (well, sometimes National Institutes of Health)

John
Edited 2021-05-20 04:50 by JohnS

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:52pm 19 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  I know what NIH (*) normally means but it looks to be something else in this thread - please explain!

That's what it means here too. People are writing their own tools or "getting by". A natural result of being a community of makers rather than users.

Tom
Edited 2021-05-20 04:52 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 23 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think this is a new bug for you Peter:

400MHz Colour Maximite 2
MMBasic Version 5.07.00b33
Copyright 2011-2021 Geoff Graham
Copyright 2016-2021 Peter Mather

> list "bug.bas"
Option Explicit On
Option Default None
Option Base 0

If Mm.CmdLine$ = "fails" Then
 Print bar$(foo$("hello"))
 Print bar$()
Else
 Print bar$("*hello*")
 Print bar$()
EndIf

Function foo$(s$)
 foo$ = "*" + s$ + "*"
End Function

Function bar$(s$)
 Static a$ = ""
 If a$ = "" Then a$ = s$
 bar$ = a$
End Function

> run "bug.bas"
*hello*
*hello*

> run "bug.bas", fails
*hello*

>

As far as I can see both executions should print the same output:

*hello*
*hello*

EDIT: the workaround is to assign the output of foo$() to a variable and pass that into bar$() - but I don't see why that should be necessary.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-05-23 21:34 by thwill

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 23 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Peter,

I finally got my CMM2, so now the fun starts.. I guess you could call me a late adopter. Installed MM Basic last version 5.07.00b34.

The CMM2 works, and up to now I have not seen any real problems, but I have seen some quirks that I would like to share.

1/ when I assembled the kit and installed the system, I used a brand new SD card (32GB sandisk ultra). And the file manager (F1) would give a black screen, nothing else. The Editor would not open.
After I put the SD card in a W10 PC and put some files on the SD card all started working.
I can imagine that the file manager shows a black screen with a empty SD card (although I would expect the root directory to be visible). But it is very annoying the editor does not open, so you cannot create your first program.

2/ with a correct working SD card following observation: when I power the CMM2 the SD card LED turns ON, and stays ON indicating the SD card is powered. After I open the file manager (F1), and close it again, the LED goes off. Why is the SD card led on all the time at first power up. Should it not be off, or ON reading the directory structure, and then turn off ?

Question

3/ The CMM2 has a build in IR sensor connected to PB12. I have an application where the IR sensor is build in a shooting target. Is there an option to use one of the 40 pin connector pins to connect a external IR sensor ? Or is pin PB12 the only pin that can be used ? (if that being the case I need to remove the build in sensor and wire PB12 to one of the 40 pin connector pins in parallel).

Thanks you for your answers.

Regards,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

goc30

Guru

Posted: 12:20am 25 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi peter

just 2 questions

1 - I have keyboard+mouse logitech in BT connection. Keyboard work without problems
mouse don't work. it is correct, no pb. But if I put "option mouse on", in "files" function or "edit" function, I receive "mouse time-out". Is it because I have a BT mouse?, an in this case, may I have problem when I will connect in a futur, a Ps2 mouse??

2 - what problem it would pose to have by default, the numeric keyboard active all the time . I have, as all in the world, a 105 keyboard, but without capability to use numeric pad.
with all text editor in Windows, I can use num pad, but with CMM2 it is impossible to use correctly my keyboard, . Each time key "numeric" is put out.
it's ridiculous and it becomes stressful, not to mention the many "syntax" errors or others bugs, that it generates when you type on the keyboard automatically.

in short my question is simple: with 105 keyboard, what do we use the numeric keypad for when the "numeric keypad" function is inactive??
Edited 2021-05-25 10:27 by goc30

Page 8 of 9    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024