Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:07 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Deciding if I should build this solar heater

Page 38 of 39    
Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:16am 27 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

rogerdw said  

It's probably the only reason I survived once I got my licence, by learning all the things that could go wrong in the safety of an open paddock, rather than amongst a lot of menacing traffic.

Absoloutley.
Saved me more than once that's for sure.

If the temp inside my tubes is 36  ...  the air blowing into the room can be all of that and often a degree or two higher  ...  and the volume is pretty restricted really.

I think that's the Key, Volume. With a small temp difference it takes a LOT of air to add up to even a KW of energy and that's the factor at the end of the day. Not how much air or how hot but a combination of both.  If I look at my diesel heater or a fan heater, they are pushing out air with a huge temp differential.  When it's down to 10o or so, it's a bit like trying to cook your dinner over a few candles. it's going to take a long time and you are going to need a lot of candles in total.

Quote  But doing what you suggested and with such a big area  ...  you could push 20 times more volume than me. That could make a huge difference inside.

I have been looking and head scratching on the idea some more and  the Ducting would be the hard and unsightly part. No matter which way I did it, would have to do something that stood out like the proverbial. Can't see the Mrs approving it and not sure I want to look at it either.

It's another one of these things that if it were thought out when the place was built would Probably be pretty easy and effective to do. As an after thought, not so much.

Quote  This heat soaking idea definitely makes a difference here  ...  though I imagine for the majority of people they would think it wasn't worthwhile because you still need another heat source in the evenings and early mornings usually.

The weather has been going from still pretty cool here, 3-5o Nights to 27o Days which is good for not letting ones Mind get acclimatized and forgetting one temp range or the other. While still thinking of a Lot of grandiose Ideas it is showing the pros and cons easier.

I was thinking if I covered the roof again in panels which was the idea I never got to this winter, I should be right just with the AC. Then I remembered how the thing ices up in the real cold being an older machine and is virtually useless.

That leaves me with the fan heaters which I'm limited as to how many I can run with the circuits as I only have 2 for power in the house or some sort of combustion heating.  There is an oil burner and a co gen. Either of those will provide ALL the heat I need. Co gen will be very noise dependent when I can run that or want to but I can store the heat and the electricity effectively even if I do just run it through the day.

I found another Kubota engine online. Bit smaller than I would like, just a 2 Cyl 12 HP and the seller wants plenty for it but would be the best engine Type for the job I think. Trouble with this one is while 12 HP might be fine, that's 12 Hp flat out.
Rather have a 20 Hp engine I can run much slower.

The burner I think I'll do either way. Won't hurt to have a backup that's for sure.

Quote  For me, being the cheapskate I am  ...  I absolutely love the free heat  ...  but don't mind lighting up the fire at nights if need be for a top up.

Bit like those that want a 100% Renewable Grid. For all intents and purposes it's a pipe dream.  What they won't accept for whatever reason is to use the unreliable power when it is available and have the traditional on demand power  as well to yield an over all reduction in the emissions they are so rabid about.

At the end of the day it's a way to advance towards the goal but they have an all or nothing mentality.

Nothing wrong with using the free air heating when it's available and firing up the heater when it's not.  Lot's less work involved and the house is always warm.
Not about the road you take but the fact you get to the destination.

I can't keep up.  

I know ALL about that!
Mrs working from home requires Patience on both our parts.  I remember her father saying whenever her mother sat down and got to thinking he tried to get her up and moving because she would be dreaming up more ideas and work for him.

My Mrs does not let me finish one job before she is complaining I haven't done something else she has been asking. Even doing the Garage, I got complaints of not doing the garden and other ideas... which she changes many times then I get in trouble for not remembering what revision 17 was.  I got a bit over it last week and we did have an argument.  Or at least I did most the shouting/ Complaining.

Struggling a bit atm with motivation for anything and this does not help.
When we bought this place we were looking for somewhere with nothing to do.  The futility of that became apparent in short order  but things here are never easy.
Don't like the place really but she gets upset when I say that.  I know what I want, this isn't it.

Trimming the trees which was a job she was on at me about created a pile of brush to get rid of which now has weeds and crap growing through that.  I dug a Big fire pit at her request that never got finished and proved to be a pain and something we wouldn't use that much anyway.  Filled it back in and the grass has grown over it nice but now I have no where to get rid of all the hedge and tree trimmings.

Other half finished projects that I get in trouble for but she does not seem to realize that I'm limited in where I can go and what I can get atm to do them.
I have been trying to get back to the outdoor bathroom but my head isn't in the right place for it atm but I would like it up for summer.

This was definitely NOT the place we should have bought but as my mate rightfully said when we bought it, You only get 30 min to make the biggest decision of your life the way the property market was and still pretty much is here.

It's not the size of the place it's the maintence of it.  Once done it will be fine but to get it that way is a LOT of work.... although will add value. Like you mention, edging here is a Huge time consumer and effort.  I need to eliminate a lot of that for a start but I have little knowledge of landscaping which is a draw back.
Think I'll go set up the solar hot water boiler again so I can start hitting the weeds with that to keep them down. Christmas will be here again before we know it.  

I just need the mental fortitude and motivation which I am short of both atm.

Might go out and spend some time chopping the brush up small enough for a Burn barrel  disposal and see if I can just plug away at that. Getting me down looking at it.
Supposed to rain most of this week. I won't complain, It's dry as buggery here again  despite the flooding we had earlier in the year.

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 29 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  I think that's the Key, Volume. With a small temp difference it takes a LOT of air to add up to even a KW of energy and that's the factor at the end of the day. Not how much air or how hot but a combination of both.

Yep, agreed.

Quote  I have been looking and head scratching on the idea some more and  the Ducting would be the hard and unsightly part.

It's another one of these things that if it were thought out when the place was built would Probably be pretty easy and effective to do. As an after thought, not so much.

That seems to be a common problem trying to retrofit stuff. Need to start with a clean slate for most of these projects to not end up looking like a botched up afterthought.

Quote  I was thinking if I covered the roof again in panels which was the idea I never got to this winter, I should be right just with the AC. Then I remembered how the thing ices up in the real cold being an older machine and is virtually useless.

How much difference do you think a later model aircon would make  ...  or is that just too expensive a project to consider?

Quote  Bit like those that want a 100% Renewable Grid. For all intents and purposes it's a pipe dream.  What they won't accept for whatever reason is to use the unreliable power when it is available and have the traditional on demand power  as well to yield an over all reduction in the emissions they are so rabid about.

Yeah, we're definitely not there yet  ...  so what you suggest makes sense.

Quote  Nothing wrong with using the free air heating when it's available and firing up the heater when it's not.  Lot's less work involved and the house is always warm.
Not about the road you take but the fact you get to the destination.

Maybe if I do ever end up with my forklift battery, an hour or so here and there of fill-in heat from our aircon might be a possibility.

Quote  Struggling a bit atm with motivation for anything and this does not help.
When we bought this place we were looking for somewhere with nothing to do.  The futility of that became apparent in short order  but things here are never easy.

I have the same trouble when I see all the other jobs I need to do just to keep things under control, let alone create these new devices and toys.

Quote  It's not the size of the place it's the maintence of it.  Once done it will be fine but to get it that way is a LOT of work.... although will add value. Like you mention, edging here is a Huge time consumer and effort.

I really should get more comfortable with spraying weeds on fence lines etc  ...  that could make a world of difference  ...  but realise there's a lot of resistance to spraying chemicals unnecessarily.

Maybe I could try the hot water method, but I'd need to borrow the local fire unit to cover the area we have.  

Quote  I just need the mental fortitude and motivation which I am short of both atm.

Might go out and spend some time chopping the brush up small enough for a Burn barrel  disposal and see if I can just plug away at that. Getting me down looking at it.

Yeah, sometimes just starting something is all you need to get going  ...  but don't ask me for any advice on that coz I'm in the same boat most of the time.

Quote  Supposed to rain most of this week. I won't complain, It's dry as buggery here again  despite the flooding we had earlier in the year.

Well we certainly had some rain here today  ...  nearly an inch in one day, which may be nothing unusual elsewhere  ...  but here it's definitely a rarity.

In fact came back from the city just after lunch today and saw the aftermath of a massive hailstorm. Looked for all the world like snow on the hillsides and several kilometres of thick hailstones on the sides of the freeway.

I had definitely never seen anything like it in my life.
Cheers,  Roger

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 29 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

rogerdw said  

How much difference do you think a later model aircon would make  ...  or is that just too expensive a project to consider?

Mate said the new ones work to about -5 although at diminished capacity. still better than what I have which would be zero use at all.
He reckons about $7-8K for a new Ducted. Be a real pain in the arse as well because the roof sheets would have to come off and they are around 5.5M long here then I'd have to get the things through the battons and replace the sarking as well.  Probably have to get a crane to lift things out and in. Might have to call a favour from a  mate with his 34m, 30 Ton Crane. Bit overkill but...
I'd go bigger than what I have because the current one is underpowered for the house anyway.  Not surprising given the previous tight arse owner.

I also asked mate about putting a split in the main room. He reckons the heat/cool wouldn't travel well through the house. After using the diesel this winter, I'm not so convinced.  Agreed it won't do every room but it does travel and works for that thermal storage.   The Diesel was only 4KW and didn't get run that hard most often and definitely had an effect.

Daikin or Fujitsu which I know are the only ones he'd touch come in 9Kw splits and should be around $2-2500.  That I would certainly have no problem with. That and the fact they could be run  single phase so easy to top up with the solar.

I also asked him about multi head but that would be no cheaper than replacing the ducted plus you have a Unit hanging off every wall.  I know splits/ Multi's are the preferred fabled option of the efficiency Zealots, they believe there are a lot of losses through the ducting but my mate says otherwise and that's out of date thinking. One head in the kitchen I'd wear, one on each bedroom wall, the Kitchen and main lounge.... I can see what mate says that having all those units and Plumbing them is going to be a false economy.

For cooling I'm looking at getting a VFD on the Ducted. Could run it off the one or 2 phases the solar is on and could run it 24/7 in summer and wouldn't care with the amount of power I generate. I'll have to have a 40 A Circuit put in for single phase although I am not sure if I can get a 2 phase unit which means I could run it off the existing wiring.  Probably just need a Vented meter box style enclosure for it.

Maybe if I do ever end up with my forklift battery, an hour or so here and there of fill-in heat from our aircon might be a possibility.

Even a Modest pack will be upwards of 15 Kwh. With  a factor of 3+ for energy efficiency, You should be able to get 10 KWH out of it easy.  In summer when you want cooling. With a decent array you should be able to run the thing till 6Pm just off the solar intput without touching the battery reserve if not later.

Quote  Maybe I could try the hot water method, but I'd need to borrow the local fire unit to cover the area we have.  

Yesterday I had a bit of a run around with am LPG Flame weeder. Same as your soldering Iron I think.  Had the thing cranked and it did a god Job although clearly goes through the gas.

I was thinking, I could do the same in an Oil burner and Mount it as a Unit on the back of the tractor. I haven't got THAT much to do but it would be good at dads or a larger property like yours.  I have seen huge boom flame weeders that carry an LPG tank about the Size you'd see at the local Servo for filling up cars but something more modest with a Single  outlet would be more appropriate for edges and fence lines rather than whole Fields.

I could run a Jumping castle blower off an Inverter Connected to the Tractor Battery.
No idea what the weed burner does flat out, maybe 20 KW but I could have 100-200 coming out an oil burner with no problems what so ever.  That would be thick enough to take out heavy green grass and do it a Reasonable pace I think. At the right time Fire would not be a problem. Where Dad is the rain has been coming every few days for months.  In any case, wouldn't be hard to put a small pump and a tank of water either on the burner setup or throw it in the tractor Bucket if it were needed.

Thought I might give it a go. It's really only a packaging setup.  Easy put a 60L Drum of fuel on a pallet with the burner, blower, fuel pump and inverter. The Americans might like it for Ice removal from pathways or something. Even at 200KW, 60L of oil would give a good 2.5Hrs run time with some to spare. In any case, if one needed more just throw on a 200L Drum and go out for the day or crank it up and Flame weed those pesky 100Ft Gum trees.

Speaking of which, also thought about something similar for a Stump remover.
I think a Burner could be adapted to work well.  People put oil and pile wood onto stumps to burn them but from what I see, that's pretty counter productive. They burn the Oil or the wood but that takes up Oxygen that stops the stump itself burning very much. All it really does is impart heat for most of the process and don't really do much till the additional fuel has burned away. The other thing is without forced air, the wood chars and insulates the wood underneath which further inhibits burning.  Extremely Inefficient. With forced air the wood would burn and have extra oxygen and the ash would be blown away so fresh fuel in the stump would be exposed.
Can't see why a Dry stump couldn't be burnt in hours.  Seen people trying to burn them out for weeks piling wood on top and the things are still far from gone.

With the air coming from above, the heat could also be recycled as it were back onto the stump so as to help drive out moisture they often suck up from the ground which makes them rot in 10 or 20 Years.  Only have to get an inch dry on the surface if that for the stump wood to burn.

The burner design I do can run with a significant oxygen over supply but with something like a castle blower, would be easy to crank out a couple of hundred KW in the burner and then tap off additional air from the blower and inject it afterburner style into the output Nozzle so there was Plenty of oxygen in the gas stream to burn the stump itself and even induce more air Potentially.  

The air would complete the Fuel/ air/ heat cycle that is usually lacking.

In fact came back from the city just after lunch today and saw the aftermath of a massive hailstorm. Looked for all the world like snow on the hillsides and several kilometres of thick hailstones on the sides of the freeway.

Wow! Only one thing scares me more than Wind is Hail.
There was a big hail storm couple of years back up Newcastle way.  Got a few written off cars from that. They are good because You don't sell many panels anyway and the bits you do sell are undamaged. Very easy to see the cars with aluminium bonnets though, they don't hold up to well at all.

Seeing what some of the cars looked like and trying to belt a car with a hammer to replicate the dents takes a scary amount of effort. Many had broken windscreens and some with Holes clean through different windows.

I remember seeing pictures of Solar panels with holes that looked like they had been shot through with a 50MM Bofors Cannon.  Same thing, if you have ever tried to destroy a Panel and understand the amount of force required to go THROUGH one, not an event I'd like to be in the middle of.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:10pm 29 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The stump burning method is o/k, most stumps seem to be pretty damp and the heat needs to dry them before they will begin to burn. If the stump is up against a wooden suburban fence, burning is not an option.

I have had good success drilling large deep holes into the stump, which collect rainwater, and over a few years the thing just rots away.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 05:54am 30 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was planning to experiment next time I go to my fathers with the stump burner.

I'll knock a tree over and put the burner on the green stump and see what I can learn.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:56am 03 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Daylight saving started today in NSW.  My inverters were still outputting a little at 7pm.

Woo hoo! More solar Generation now!   Pity about the curtains though.

Might look at packing up the ground mount array.  Working on doing a retaining wall for the outdoor bathroom and it's in the way. The naturally occurring longer daylight will make up for the lower input and I'll try to get them on the roof however finding an offsider for assistance just bringing the panels up is proving problematic.

For some strange reason my daughter seems to have taken a dislike to assisting with panel installation. Funny girl, you think shed be champing at the bit for the opportunity to do something like that but what can you say? Kid's these days "eh??

Not sure the wife can be much help.  She's always been shorter than a panel and now shes lost so much weight, she's barely the weight of one.
Bit much for to handle at the best of times and if one gets a bit off balance or a breath of wind comes up... Outcome will not be memorable for good reasons.  

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 02:19pm 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Our weather has been pretty ordinary and quite wintery but the heater still fires up pretty early.

Being a holiday today, I slept in and only got up around 9:30  ...  and discovered that the blind had been sucked against the heater inlet preventing airflow for the last couple hours.

Anyway, as I pulled up the blind, I saw that the temp sensor in the tubes was at 101 degrees  ...  so the output was pretty hot for some time.

I went and had some breakfast and came back about 20 mins later  ...  and the temp inside the tubes was down to about 35 degrees  ...  but in that time, the room temp had risen 2 degrees.

Well I finally did a bit more work on this device.

I marked out and drilled all the holes for the c-section beams to bolt to the main frame.

I lined up all the tubes and fitted the cold duct cover and in the process discovered that the angle had bowed up in the middle from overheating during welding.

So I braced it all with timber, put a block across the top  ...  and wacked it with the sledge hammer.

Whoops, a bit too much strength  ...  and it was then bent the opposite direction about an inch and a half. A bit of gentle levering with the crowbar soon had it staight.

Despite being 60 x 60 x 6mm angle, it is surprisingly easy to bend.

I drilled all the top cover holes which was difficult because I had to reach way over into the middle, but I got it done. I was nearly going to do it before I welded in the tubes, but a friend warned me that it was likely to warp  ...  so I'm glad I left it till after.

I have to chase up some foam suitable to insulate the inside of the outer, hot duct  ...  probably about 50mm thick  ...  and able to cope with lots of heat over summer. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,  Roger

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 02:30pm 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  Daylight saving started today in NSW.  My inverters were still outputting a little at 7pm.

For the first time that I can remember, I got caught out on daylight saving. I had no idea it was due. Usually I see it written somewhere or someone mentions it in passing  ...  but not this time.

Quote  Woo hoo! More solar Generation now!   Pity about the curtains though.

Haha, yeah. I don't mind it really  ...  gives me a lot more time to do things outside after work  ...  although that's not always a good thing.

Quote  For some strange reason my daughter seems to have taken a dislike to assisting with panel installation. Funny girl, you think shed be champing at the bit for the opportunity to do something like that but what can you say? Kid's these days "eh??

Yeah, kids nowadays !!!  

Quote  Not sure the wife can be much help.  She's always been shorter than a panel and now shes lost so much weight, she's barely the weight of one.
Bit much for to handle at the best of times and if one gets a bit off balance or a breath of wind comes up... Outcome will not be memorable for good reasons.

You might have to call in a favour or something  ...  hopefully find a younger fit neighbour or someone to help. I had a young man who'd help me any time I asked, but he and his wife have moved away, so I have to keep an eye out for a replacement for the next time I need a hand with anything heavy..
Cheers,  Roger

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 02:59pm 04 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Despite being 60 x 60 x 6mm angle, it is surprisingly easy to bend.

Heating it up to do the brazing has annealed the aluminium. It will be very soft and bendy, but over time it will very gradually recover and become stiff again.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:49pm 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seeing it all laid out with the chairs for reference, really does put into perspective what a Sizeable project this is!

It's quite an undertaking Roger and a huge credit to your drive and ingenuity with it.

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 05 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  
  Quote  Despite being 60 x 60 x 6mm angle, it is surprisingly easy to bend.

Heating it up to do the brazing has annealed the aluminium. It will be very soft and bendy, but over time it will very gradually recover and become stiff again.

It certainly did get hot in the brazing process, so not surprised it affected it somehow.

It shouldn't be too much problem because they are all screwed together with the base and the duct cover  ...  and there's no weight or stress on the tubes hanging out. It will definitely continue to get hot, especially during our long summers.

Davo99 said  Seeing it all laid out with the chairs for reference, really does put into perspective what a Sizeable project this is!

It's quite an undertaking Roger and a huge credit to your drive and ingenuity with it.

Thanks Dave, and you're right it is a big project. Certainly takes up a lot of room in the workshop.

I have been wondering if I should consider assembling it fully except for the glass tubes  ...  then hiring a crane to lift it on the roof. I have a friend with a telehandler that extends out about 50 feet  ...  except he's half an hour away.

Anyway, I still need to finish the assembly before I worry too much about it. And too many other jobs getting in the way. Now with daylight saving I already spent 2 hours on the tractor with the slasher after work last night.
Cheers,  Roger

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:17am 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

May have mentioned it before and if so forgive my poor memory.

Could you make up a simple Jib Crane for your tractor? Really all you would need is a Good length of  square Tube or maybe even Timber.
You just replace the top Link on the 3 point hitch with the beam which extends out the back.

I think your tractor is a pretty decent size and the Frame for the heater would probably be under 100 Kg I'm guessing, so you should be able to hang it right out the back and get good lift and reach.
You can get the beam near Vertical so as long as you can get reasonably close to the house,  You should be able to get it well up there.  You would probably only need to get the front edge up then you could release the frame and just slide it over the edge and into position.

Some 40x40x3 or thicker should do it and you could go 3, maybe 4M long.  I put ball ends on mine for where the pins go but I wanted to use mine regularly where as you could just bore some holes  for the pins for an occasional one off.  You wouldn't need a frame like mine, probably just leave the slasher or blade on, whatever you have and replace the top link with the jib.

You might even just raise the jib then pull a rope though the end to manually lift the frame then you can release it to lower into position.

I'd use this for lifting solar panels only I can't get  very close to the house because of the retaining wall but it sure would make things easier!

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:16am 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its abit dark outside but this is a lifting jib made out of junk, it needed bracing for extra strength, its connected to a David Brown 990, hydraulics will cutout before bending something, post hole borer on at the moment.
BTW the hydraulics on the DB and other tractors are just on off when lifting, can be fast and violent at the end of the jib.

Used an Excavator to lift most of the things, made a forklift attachment onto a quick hitch.....lifted a lot of solar stuff on to the roof.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 11:23am 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If I had to do something like this here by myself, I think I might hire some scaffold pipe and fittings. Build a cross braced frame that continued the slope of the roof down to ground level.

Then very gradually slide the whole thing up the frame onto the roof with some rope and pulleys.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:50pm 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revlac said   it needed bracing for extra strength, its connected to a David Brown 990, hydraulics will cutout before bending something,

Mine is  about 5MM so pretty thick. Just what I had around at the time.  haven't bothered bracing it because like yours, My little toy tractor gives out before anything has bent.  At the end it will lift a full 240L plastic drum and maybe a little more but that is about it. I also have a lifting point about 2/3rd from the end and it lifts a lot more there of course.  The max I have picked up with it was about 400Kg and that's plenty of component loading for this little thing.

Quote  BTW the hydraulics on the DB and other tractors are just on off when lifting, can be fast and violent at the end of the jib.

Yeah, that sounds hairy.  Dads new little JD 1025 has a height setting on it. You move the lever to a certain position which you can lock off and pull the lever back and that's where it goes and stays every time.  Mine is just an adjustable speed control. Keep going till you let it go unlike the JD ( and usually bigger tractors) where you pull the thing all the way back and it goes so far and stops.  Useful feature.

I have the 3 Pt lowering speed control.  Quite handy when I am picking up something like a load of solar panels.  Can screw the valve in and then hold the lowering control and crack the valve so the 3 Point is lowered slow and Gentle.

Of course the stupid people then go and try to lower a load a fraction of the weight and wonder why the thing isn't dropping at all or taking forever.  Glad I have never done that...... more than about 50 Times.  Just reach down and adjust the controls and all good. Wide open the thing will hit at the speed gravity takes it.

Quote   made a forklift attachment onto a quick hitch.....lifted a lot of solar stuff on to the roof.

I made some forks for the 3 Point given it's far greater weight lifting.  Won't lift very high, maybe 400mm but plenty for a pallet or machinery.
I want to do some forks for the Bucket.  I'll do them clamp on style.  Won't lift much more than about 250KG on the front but that will do.
I am going to shim up the Hydraulics so I get  greater response with the loader and it should  lift another 100KG easy. That would be quite handy not that I will stress the machine with it too often.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  

Then very gradually slide the whole thing up the frame onto the roof with some rope and pulleys.

I borrowed the Neighbours long ladder. Stacked the panels at the bottom leaning on the ladder.  Lent up against the roof, made a hook on a rope which daughter on the ground hooked under the panels lip and I pulled them  up and along the ladder, over the roof edge and into place.

Don't bother now. Daughter stands the panel back, hooks it under the lip and I just haul it up wile sitting on the roof up and over.  Haven't dropped a panel yet.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used an aluminium ladder to get my panels up past the gutter, it worked very well.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:49pm 06 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was going to make a wider slide arrangement out of a couple of Formwork beams but I didn't have any trouble balancing the panels on the narrow ladder.
The neighbours ladder was all one Piece and about 12 Ft long so was smooth on the rails. Mine being a folding type had a pair of Hinges which I could pull the panel over but then all the weight was pressed on the underside of the panel as it went over.
Not a practical arrangement.

Getting up and down to attach every panel is the killer but if someone is on the ground to do that, it's much easier. I feel I'm in far more danger of a mishap getting my fat arse up and down than I am crawling round on the steep tin once I'm up there. Might have to do the ladder again so the mrs can help me and doesn't have to handle the panels.

Doing a setup for a friend next week but he has a Telehandler, a fork, Several large excavators, a 40M, 32 ton crane and a man lift as well so getting anything up onto the demountable office building should not be a problem. Nothing like having EVERY toy possible for the job!  Also have his hard working yard hand to do the grunt work at my disposal so should be an easy Install.

So many jobs are so much harder when you don't have an extra pair of hands even to do simple and easy tasks like just hooking something on a rope or hold something in position while you drill it.  

Got to move a lot of panels today.
Someone wants to come buy a heap. Didn't want to pay a reasonable price for the good ones I advertised but seems happy to take all the crappy ones because the price I offered them  was low.  Happy to get rid of them and make the space and just have the good ones here.

I get the feeling the installers may not have been real busy. My supplier hasn't had hardly any and I see very few advertised. As we are supposed to get our " Freedoms" back next week ( oh thank you your mighty tyrannical overlords!) Maybe things will pick up again and I'll have space for the better panels when they come up.
Or just space back up the top will be good too.

See if the guy comes though or is another dreamer but certainly has been persistent with the emails. If he doesn't, well at least I can mow the grass and clean up a bit before I put them back.
He was giving off some potential pain in the arse Vibes so I made it clear that was the price and don't try haggling or telling me he doesn't have all the money when they are loaded.  Been down that road before at the yard and will have a big and unpleasant for him problem with that.  He can show me the money up front. That said, he did want to pay for them yesterday and then collect today but that may have been a con in itself.  Send a bogus payment receipt or something and grab them and run before being discovered. Sorry, cash only on collection.

I'll wait and see if I get the old " Don't you trust me?" line.
NO, I do not trust you one bit especially when you imply I should.  I don't know you and the people I trust the very least are the ones that ask me to take all the risk in putting myself in a Vulnerable position instead of proving they are trustworthy by being up front with their cash. Oh, and if that hurts your feelings, best you make other arrangements elsewhere.    I'm such a personable and warm hearted guy!

If that Insults anyone, GOOD.  They were obviously trying to put one over and are merely feigning upset because got they caught out.

So far had 4 of the "Is this still available" Enquiries, none of which I have heard from again when I told them they were. The fact they ask when the ad is 4 hours old and says so is usually bit of a giveaway they are wankers from the start.  Makes me wonder if people just sit round replying to ad's  for the hell of it because they have nothing better to do?

The prize winner I didn't even reply to was the one that asked if the price was for one panel or the " Over 30 available" I put in the ad.
Yeah mate, cause I went to all that trouble to test them individually and write a descriptive ad with lots of Pictures showing the good condition of the things, to get $1.50 each for them.

Moron!

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 03:13am 07 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I do have a jib, but can't really get close enough to use it. There's a fence in the way and then not much room to the boundary.

Looking like I'll just slide it up bit by bit and with an extra hand or two should be easy enough. As long as I'm not silly enough to try and do it by myself.  

All a bit old and decrepid (like me)  ...  but it still works ok.

I dunno what it weighs but the hydraulics lifted it ok. A V6 Nissan motor out of my wife's van.

Cheers,  Roger

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:07am 07 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did it get hot or did the oil light come on and she just wanted to get it home?
Would weigh about 200KG.

I imagine that old thing would lift easy double that, probably over 500 with no problem. The old tractors did what they could and far surpass the new ones of the same size that are severely restricted by all sorts of OH&BS.
Dads old tractor will lift over a tone in the bucket. We looked at a new one and  they are no where near as strong which was a big surprise. Would have to be nearly 3 times the machine  to lift the same which makes it a big and expensive unit.

Looks like a nice Classic Tractor!

Have you worked out how you are going to get the ducting in through the Roof Roger?
I think the decktite would be the usual way a penetration like that is done.

Page 38 of 39    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024