Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:49 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Testing Capacitors

Page 5 of 5    
GWatPE

Posted: 07:59am 17 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the benefit of readers, I have prepared a schematic.

This should clear up the confusion.

Gordon.
become more energy aware

fillm

Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 17 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All ,

Thanks for the positive feed back , and 'yes, great idea' to Glenn about making a dedicated page to the use of caps , this would probabally be the best spot to put the graphs and raw data from the tests , one thing I would like to see is the bleed off resistors drawn into the wiring diag's and Res/value ,to be as safe as possible for all concerned , and the warning about dangerous stored voltage levels , and that they should be housed in an appropiate cabnet/box to keep inquisitive fingers away..

Glenn , mabe 48V systems could be included , I'm sure it was just a typo , as it matches up with the PVE 1200 grid inverter as more seem to want to connect wind/solar to the grid .

John ,I can't wait to read your next scheme , "mabe a 5 Speed manual gear box and clutch pedal" .. Only joking !! ,, Thanks for your comments and input..

The only thing I have not , and probably don't need it with the twisted poles , is my bump start floating prop hub . I am still going to persivere with it as it enabled very low wind start up , and with the last recoil spring I fitted to the dual ,prior to the Quad, was when the drive pin hit the stator drive it would rotate the stators on spring tension and unload the blades , this will be even better with the twisted poles and I think the stators will be half a turn in front of the blades in light wind and be spring coupled uitill the load comes on , time will tell..

A question to all, I need to rebuild my annemometer and need a reliable reed switch , Any Ideas ? I have been using the F&P lid switch but are not likeing 48V ..
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

GWatPE

Posted: 11:08pm 17 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

herbnz said  A Permanent Gen in its natural state can only have voltage directly proportional speed therefore power output proptional to speed ^2 (power prop v^2 )

Hi herb,

I believe that the output voltage unloaded should be proportional to rpm.

The output power will be deteremined by the loading presented at a partricular rpm.

The power output of a PermanentMagnetAlternator [PMA]follows a squared relationship only with a purely resistive loading. The capacitor doubler arrangements that I proposed and use on my windmill and Phill has continued testing and is now using on his windmill, alters the loading of the alternator to better match the wind energy curve. This arrangement is suited to a battery type loading[relatively constant output loaded voltage].

Resistive loading arrangements on a windmill may still benefit with AC coupling, with capacitors.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

GWatPE

Posted: 11:23pm 17 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phill,

I would add zeners, to around 12-24V total rating in series with one of the wires from the anemometer. This would limit the voltage to around a max 24V. The voltage would be increased until the pulses just stopped, and then the zener value reduced. I would use 6V2 zeners and just increase the number in series, until the cct still sensed. This arrangement will reduce the voltage on the reed switch contacts and will work better than just a resistor. Polarity will be important. The bar end of the zener should be towards the positive.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

KiwiJohn
Guru

Posted: 12:27am 18 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phill, you may be able to protect your reed switch by putting a diode in parallel that will squish any voltage spikes.

GWatPE

Posted: 03:36am 18 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi kiwijohn,

In the arrangement that Phill has, 48V goes to the reed switch. The switched output only goes directly to a resistor/opto coupler diode/voltage limiting protection input cct. Unless the wiring is inductive, then the 5mA 48VDC is the problem. I know Phill tried a 5V supply, but insufficient level was output through the reed switch to activate the opto LED.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

oztules

Guru

Posted: 05:12am 18 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil,
Sounds like a hall effect ic out of a computer fan may be a better alternative.... probably better all round, and could do away with the opto coupler, and have a sharper switching edge.

They really are easy to use. This link shows Dinges playing with them and turning into a believer (page 3). You can use your 5v without opto's and it just gets simpler and simpler....

.........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Dinges

Posted: 08:53am 18 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

(removed for posting in the wrong thread.)Edited by Dinges 2009-01-19

GWatPE

Posted: 12:17am 02 May 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PhillM has some more data from the new PVC blades on his dual ferrite rotor with star/doubler, delta doubler arrangements. The outputs closely follow the lathe test data. Will post some graphs when the analysis is completed.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

dan_jenson

Posted: 09:24pm 13 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

herbnz said   Phil
No need to run 3 Phase VFD on the market produce 3 phase from single phase I have 3 old ones here but cost freight etc not viable. For experimental uses I find the unversal motor temporaliy coupled to my lathe motor that i still leave in place but do not energise easiler to control.
Measuring input power is not done to arrive at efficiency but to get results that have meaning .
Herb

LEESON has 1-phase in 1-phase out drives. I think it's called "FHP Series".http://www.clrwtr.com/LEESON-Speedmaster.htmEdited by dan_jenson 2010-04-15

Page 5 of 5    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024