Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:00 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : an EV from the ashes.. or the tip

Page 2 of 2    
oztules

Guru

Posted: 10:52pm 12 Dec 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats exactly the right sort of car. This one had a 550cc engine.

........oztules
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

oztules

Guru

Posted: 01:00am 10 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Update:
The little car has done over a hundred miles now, and hasn't had a spanner put on it. I know a hundred miles doesn't sound far, but over the paddocks (fields) it is a fair chore for any car.

Total cost of running so far is $0.00. so thats good motoring. Average speeds are probably 6mph (looking for weeds with with a backpack sprayer).

It can do 35 kph to come back from the farthest parts of the farm on the "roads" in third gear.

As a guide, the Suzuki 4x4, gets about 9lt/100km on the road which is about 9lts/hour. However at paddock speed, it seems to use about 3-4lts/hour. (couple of hours spotlighting seems to use 1/5 tank (about 40lt tank))

so 160km/6= about 26 hrs of paddock bashing... times about 3.5lt/hr=91 litres of fuel saved... which here is about $180.00

Not a bad hobby car really.. so maybe up to $200/month savings... at that rate, batteries are economical when these ones die. ($2400/year)......cool

The mill has no trouble keeping it topped up at that rate. It seems to only need a few hour of wind to pull up the necessary amp/minutes, and still spends most of it's time shut down.

Another month or two, and the mill will have paid for itself... amazing

And as Dinges has predicted, it also doubles as a mobile power plant. Using some long jumper leads, and some welding rods, used the 24v connection to weld the tail bracket on the back of the mill (new position) without taking the mill down... nifty welder.

............oztules

Edited by oztules 2009-01-11

GWatPE

Posted: 02:10am 10 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi oztules,

remember that as you use as a welder, this will create cell imbalance, so this will need some attention with continued use this way. No point in wearing the batteries out earlier than need be.

Gordon.Edited by GWatPE 2009-01-11
become more energy aware

oztules

Guru

Posted: 05:20am 10 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gordon

I think I may have inadvertently equalized them. I left them on charge for a few hours, in light winds, checked the volts... about 40v.

Went in and had lunch, wind sprang up, batteries were at 45v...after lunch.......... must built the shut off circuit today or tomorrow.

............oztules

GWatPE

Posted: 08:39am 10 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi oztules,

I think these batteries are sealed type. The equalize cycle on sealed type batteries should be a last resort only. You can keep topping up electrolyte on a wet type, but a sealed type will lose some electrolyte as well, even if recombinant type. The cells that are drawn from as a welder may die first, if charging is incomplete, but most likely, the cells that are not used in the welding usage, will dry out and die this way. This will occur at a rate related to the amount of times they are drawn down, that differs to the full pack.

I would employ a cell equalizing reigime, that allows the battery to be abused as much as you like. This would be a good use for some of the SMPS you have. Mod some to convert 36V or so to individual independent 2V or whatever outputs.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Dinges

Posted: 05:21pm 10 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oztules, are you familiar with the '80s South-African movie 'the gods must be crazy'? Whenever I see the Land Rover in it I have to think of your little car. Not sure why...

Will you be installing a winch too on it? <evil grin>

Peter.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 06:57am 11 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Oztules

Can I put a page together about your EV? There's enough info here on the forum to put together something interresting, and I'll link it to your chain saw blades page. Its another good example of using RE to do real work.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

oztules

Guru

Posted: 11:24am 11 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen,
It's not very glamorous, but it is yours to decide on. But it is unusual I guess. Is there any other aspects/things you wish to know?

Dinges, I did get it caught on a sand ridge, and the front wheels do spin in first gear , but being infinitely controlled, I just put it in gentle drive and pushed it out while the wheels gently spun.

.........oztulesEdited by oztules 2009-01-12

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:45pm 11 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Oz

There's enough photos and info in the posting to put a page together. Its a good example of how a handyman can make use of renewable power. The fact that its not "very glamorous" is a bonus.

There's been a few interesting postings popping up lately, Dinges Femm work is interresting, and I like Gordons axial flux motor, amounst others, that I would like to put on a page of their own.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:57am 13 Jan 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its done. Link here http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/list.asp
Its basically a copy/paste from this forum.

Glenn
JAQ

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024