Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:43 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PICOMITE oscilloscope

Page 2 of 3    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 29 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fair enough - I just wouldn't attempt to emulate a CRT.  :)

IMHO the parallel DAC will read fast but only at 6-bit resolution unless you can find a *much* better one with a parallel interface (I'd guess at 12 bits minimum if you want to display anything meaningful). With a low resolution DAC you're probably going to have to interpolate values to get something like a display. Your processing time has been reduced on reading and increased a lot on processing.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'll end up writing in C or C++ I think if you're going to get something like. Possibly even using one CPU for capture and the other DMAing for display. It's not a MMBasic project if you want real speed. Possibly not even a RP2040 one. It's quicker and easier to buy an analogue scope. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 29 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I can live without " real speed "
Maybe an epaper display to get some persistence (like a CRT)
my site

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:42pm 29 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm sure that getting a trigger pulse (or an auto trigger) then doing one screen width of captures as fast as possible then doing the display is the direction to go in. You'll get a nice, flicker-free display that updates at a controlled rate. Especially if you alternate two screen pages, clearing one and writing to the other alternately, toggling them at the beginning of each display scan. It's not something I've tried though. :)
Mick

phil99

Guru

Posted: 09:36pm 29 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some time ago I looked at building an analogue front end for the MM+ one and soon concluded it was too much effort for an audio scope. Wound up getting a JYE-Tech kit from BangGood. Better and cheaper than I could have done.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  Some time ago I looked at building an analogue front end for the MM+ one and soon concluded it was too much effort for an audio scope. Wound up getting a JYE-Tech kit from BangGood. Better and cheaper than I could have done.

Which did you get?

John

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:42pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have one of these from JYE. It's amazing how many functions and controls you can fit on a button. :)
It's actually quite usable. Mine's an older one in a white case. I think it was about 45 UKP when I got it. It doesn't get used a lot since I got a much better one, but at least it fits in a pocket and is fully isolated from all supplies - no mean feat for a scope.
Mick

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 03:29pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought a FNIRSI-1C15 (500MS/s) for 54 EUR (incl. shipping from Aliexpress EU) and I am also very satisfied. It's amazing what you get for the money these days. Of course, this is not comparable to a MMBasic DSO. Still, IMHO it's an interesting project and good practice.
Regards
Michael

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:09pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks a nice little scope. My little JRE is good, but clumsy to use, only having a single button for everything!

TBH it's rarely that I want to look at anything much out of the audio band now. You can usually slow logic down nowadays if you need to (unless you are specifically looking for glitches) and I'm not doing much with radio now.

I did want a dual trace DSO though - I've wanted a "proper" scope for many, many years. It's only a Hantek DSO5102P (expensive by my standards), but it's been an eye opener for me, being able to zoom and pan over the traces and save them to a USB stick! Useful when I'm digging round inside an old Nascom. :)
Edited 2022-01-31 02:11 by Mixtel90
Mick

KD5ZXG

Posted: 06:10pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Even with a bunch of op-amps, these circuits seem crude.
Most probes will assume 1Meg input impedance, not 2K or 10K.
Also completely ignoring the need to compensate such that AC
divides by capacitors at same factor DC divides by resistors.
This is what keeps square waves looking square.

50 could work for an active probe, but those don't come cheap.
If both ends match the coax, no need for further compensation.

I've got the Digilent Analog Discovery. I think they post full
schematics and theory. You might look those drawings over.

The USB bus may want power and data isolation. I just tested
a new part that may or not exist yet. I'll link when it does.

Or perhaps isolate an ADC and probe front end from the Pico?
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/amc1336-q1.pdf
Figure 54 on Page 29.

If you can disconnect and float the whole scope on a battery
even better. Why make more complicated than it has to be...
Edited 2022-01-31 04:54 by KD5ZXG

phil99

Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"If you can disconnect and float the whole scope on a battery
even better. Why make more complicated than it has to be.."

Indeed, many cheap appliances have the control circuit floating at mains voltage, making servicing difficult with a earthed scope. These little scopes use little power and easily run from a AA pack.

The one I have is:-

JYE DSO Shell (DSO150) Oscilloscope DIY Kit

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 10:08pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  The one I have is:-

JYE DSO Shell (DSO150) Oscilloscope DIY Kit

I also have a DSO150 and don't think it's that bad. I think I paid less than 30 EUR - actually I only miss the battery (+ voltage converter and charging circuit), which I wanted to have designed for a long time ...

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 10:21pm 30 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

double post, sry
Edited 2022-01-31 08:24 by twofingers

ztoti

Posted: 12:37am 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I now that small scope on aliexpress is available for low price, but I'm happy with audio range scope. I'm not trying to replace the real scope, the PICO scope is just one part of my project. I'm building breadboard lab which include:
1. 3 channel full controlled power supply ( +-voltage control, current control, timer
  mode, graphic mode)
2. Function generator
3 Voltmeter, amp meter, RLC meter, ESR meter
4. small oscilloscope
5. frequency counter
6. Curve tester
7. maybe logic analyzer

Check out the screens from my power supply ( everything works great) and when I finish the project I'll upload the schematic and .bas file

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 01:06am 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's Mine ...... :)

SetPin gp28, pwm6a ' bonus 5 kHz generator
PWM 6,5000,50

Dim v!(127)
ADC open 500000,1

Do
CLS
ADC start v!()
For x%=0 To 127
Pixel x%,20*v!(x%)
Next x%
Pause 200
Loop

my site

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:22am 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ztoti,

That is a nice project. How do you control the individual power supplies ? I2C ?
Is it your intention to run all the lab instruments on one micromite, or does each instrument have it's own micromite ?

Interesting project,

@hitsware,

That is the circuit I use to measure the mains voltage (with a resistor in series with the capacitor). The mains voltage is isolated by a transformer (8Vac) to keep me from being electrocuted...

Volhout
Edited 2022-01-31 17:23 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:36am 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's handy to put a high value resistor across the cap, Volhout, just so that you don't get a 2xpeak spike into your system next time you connect the mains input. :)

I saw an application note for a PIC microcontroller where, to detect zero crossing, they simply connected an input pin to Live via 1M and used a capacitive dropper to power the PIC. Apparently the protection diodes on the PIC are sufficiently robust for that. (Please don't try to emulate this on a PicoMite input - especially an ADC one as I don't think those have protection diodes at all!).
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:42pm 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  used a capacitive dropper to power the PI

I love it when you analog guys talk . . . uh . . . "shop". Can you explain what a "capacitive dropper" is?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hehe - sorry. :)

A capacitor's impedance (think of it as resistance in this context) varies with frequency. If you choose the amount of current that you want and you know the frequency of the supply (usually 50Hz here in the UK or 60Hz on that side of the pond) you can work out the value of the capacitor that would pass that current.

It's a bit like working out the value of a "dropper" resistor for an LED, but on an AC supply. So we call it a "dropper" because it "drops" the voltage at a given current. Using a capacitor to do the job makes it a "capacitive" dropper rather than a "resistive" one.

It's a really neat way of getting a a low voltage supply directly from the mains (no isolation, note!!!). A resistor from Live limits the initial surge,then a capacitor limits the current then a zener diode to Neutral with a smoothing capacitor in parallel with it. Hey Presto! A DC supply at the zener voltage, good for a few tens of mA. There's a risk of shock though!
Mick

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 03:36pm 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
I love it when you analog guys talk . . . uh . . . "shop". Can you explain what a "capacitive dropper" is?

http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/Platform%20Agnostic.Capacitive-Dropper-Calculator-for-Current-and-Capacitance.ashx

droppers can often be "sneered" at a bit because of the inherent risks involved with direct mains connection, always seen as a cheap shot - not a "proper" PSU. But, they can be a godsend in some cases. A dropper is used to derive power from the local mains supply cheaply and efficiently (especially PCB real estate). Used in my dusk-2-dawn switch and the snooker hall table-light controller. Both of which have severe limitations on space available and additionally in the case of the latter, to keep the price down when there are typically dozens of units in a single installation... all micromite powered.
Edited 2022-02-01 02:17 by CaptainBoing

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:17pm 31 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They are great because not only are they pretty compact, they run cold-cool. If you want IO on a PIC fed from such a supply there's always opto-isolation if you make the pcb properly, or even very low power RF.
Mick

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024