Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:49 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite: PicoGAME VGA development

Page 30 of 31    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:23am 14 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  Would it be worth putting a level shifter in them (or in line to the plug)? ...

Hi Phil,

The problem I'm trying to solve isn't putting together one or two working controllers - you can build them from scratch with a piece of perfboard and handful of through-hole components, or I imagine if you can find an existing controller that is mechanically sound it would not be difficult for several members of this board to design a replacement PCB using one or two SMD 4021's and 10K resistors on it.

What I'm trying to do is identify ones that people can just buy and work with the PicoGAME without any hardware hacking. They do exist, @Saquatch and I have both received working grey "NES" ones (like those I sent to @Volhout) the problem is that the AliExpress vendors will send you these alongside cosmetically similar (but not identical) ones with sloppy directional pads and I suspect they don't even notice that they are mixing different items even within a single order. If this were a business then I suspect you could develop a relationship with one of the Chinese vendors and get them to send consistent reliable(ish) controllers. However whilst I'm finding it entertaining looking at some aspects of what would need to be done to make the PicoGAME a "product" I have no intention of getting into the business of selling hobbyist computers/electronics - looks like a very marginal business and I already have a good job with an excellent renumeration package.

There is at least one cosmetically different 9-pin AliExpress NES controller yet to be tried:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32803427153.html

but I'm waiting to hear how @vegipete has got on with whatever he has ordered before investing further in this aspect of the PicoGAME project.

Mixtel90 said  Perhaps I should have stuck with the Nunchucks, but I was led away from the paths of righteousness. ;)

That would be "my bad", but I hate those things, and in my defence my original "new old stock" clone NES controller doesn't have any of the problems we are experiencing.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-08-15 01:26 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 05:19pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The NES/SNES/??? thing I bought is allegedly out there somewhere in transit. When (If) something shows up, I'll examine it and see. (Order picture was of the sort of dog bone shaped one, with GBYR coloured round buttons on the right side.)

If the pcb picture is the same, changing the ucontroller inside is possible if I really detest how it functions, or doesn't.

-------------
Actual nunchuck through hole jacks exist and aren't impossible to find. For example. Maybe not as plentiful and cheap as three years ago though, when I bought 20.

Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:55pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ooh.... that's interesting....  Thanks.

Should I resurrect the idea of a Nunchuck version? Last time I looked for those I couldn't find any. Any interest, anyone?
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  The NES/SNES/??? thing I bought is allegedly out there somewhere in transit. When (If) something shows up, I'll examine it and see. (Order picture was of the sort of dog bone shaped one, with GBYR coloured round buttons on the right side.)

If it's this 9-pin one that I (reluctantly) "recommended" to you https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000058000550.html and you get what I got then it is an NES compatible gamepad in a SNES chassis ... the extra buttons are all just autofire A or B. With what little use I've put them to they appear to be mechanically and electronically reliable, just disconcerting because they aren't what they look like. Inside is an epoxy blob that I suspect is a 4021-ish compatible shift register plus pull-up resistors.

If the one you ordered has a Nintendo bespoke 7-pin linear connector then you may end up with the SNES "compatible" ones with a micro-controller inside. @Sasquatch's experimentation suggest that these won't work with the PicoGAME, they probably need 5V.

Mixtel90 said  Should I resurrect the idea of a Nunchuck version? Last time I looked for those I couldn't find any. Any interest, anyone?

Please don't - unless you want to.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:31am 18 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  There is at least one cosmetically different 9-pin AliExpress NES controller yet to be tried:

FYI now in the post ... I can't resist that steady drip of "Chinese" parcels through the door.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 28 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PicoGAME VGA 1.4 (by @Mixtel90) in acrylic enclosure (by @bigmik):

My thanks to both Mick's, I am very pleased.

Best wishes,

Tom

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 28 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I haven't looked into this PCB. What is the USB connection between the VGA connector and the power jack?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 28 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  I haven't looked into this PCB. What is the USB connection between the VGA connector and the power jack?

5V out, specifically to provide power to a VGA => HDMI adapter ... or charge your mobile phone.

I believe on the 1.4 board it can be hacked to provide an alternate power in too (by convention the adjacent power jack is used), but I don't think that is so easy/possible on the 2.0 board (still unconstructed).

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 28 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's very smart, Tom. :) Upgradable to suit the latest versions too!

@Lizby
It's 5VDC power out. It comes from the primary regulator (if fitted) so you could, for example, power the board from 12V and get 5V for a VGA to HDMI converter. Alternatively, if you have a suitably rated supply going in you *may* be able to charge a phone from it. There's a slight voltage drop from 5V input caused by the diode though.

Edit:
And, as usual, I'm too slow. :)
Edited 2022-08-28 23:57 by Mixtel90
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:14pm 13 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Due to other responsibilities I'm largely on a break from the Shed at the moment but I did have a chance to test another pair of "NES/Famiclone" gamepads that dropped through the door:

These seem usable if you can put up with the gold and maroon colour-scheme. They still exhibit the "Right = 129 if you don't send an extra clock-pulse" issue that seems common to all (?) the modern clones (which is easily worked around in software, just send the extra pulse) but most importantly they do not have wonky D-pads.

Internally they are the usual epoxy blob and nothing else, though for variety they have a white blob, at least the one I opened did.

The listing I ordered from was:

But caveat emptor.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-09-14 01:27 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:51pm 13 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Love that 70's retro colour scheme.... :)
Mick

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:59am 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mixtel90, Finally I want to order some of your Pico Game Adapter boards from page 15 of this post. The last photo of the board shows version 1 but the gerbers are version 0.0 (apparently). Are these the correct ones? Thanks.

I may use one as part of an adapter for MMB4W to provide a games interface for the PC. I don't believe that you have done that unless I'm mistaken?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:42am 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm - I've not looked at the adapter since...

I'll have to look into this. My gerbers folder is empty and I can't se a SL6 file for version 1. It's probably around somewhere but I'm just not sure where at the moment.

Here ya go...
PicoGAME Adapter 10 construction pack.zip
This should be OK. I can't find the TinyCAD schematic file - I've no idea what's happened to that. The SL6 was on my PC but not on the NAS and I don't know why not. :)
Edited 2022-10-30 18:19 by Mixtel90
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:21pm 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  I may use one as part of an adapter for MMB4W to provide a games interface for the PC. I don't believe that you have done that unless I'm mistaken?

Hi Bill, how is that going to work, MMB4W has no GPIO support. Were you going to use serial comms to a PicoMite to provide the GPIO and hence connect to a games controller ?

Note that according to the documentation the olcPixelGameEngine library that Peter used for MMB4W does have (presumably USB) controller support, so it could probably be added directly to MMB4W if Peter or A.N.Other were so inclined.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-10-30 23:39 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:50pm 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Port B on the PicoGAME (and the adapter) supports a COM port, if that's of use.
Mick

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:00am 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Hi Bill, how is that going to work

I was thinking much like the controller library that you are working on:

The PC would say something like: "Press the fire button on your controller". Then tell the external 'mite to decide which controller is connected. The 'mite would send ACK if and when it knows the controller type (NACK otherwise).

When the game starts, the 'mite would just send a one or two byte serial code corresponding to the 'bitmap' generated by the 'mite's interpretation of the controller operation. The PC need not even know what type of controller is connected to the 'mite just that 1 represents button A or 'fire'.

' @return  bitmap corresponding to current controller state:
'            7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
'            | | | | | | | |
'            | | | | | | | +-- Button A
'            | | | | | | +---- Button B
'            | | | | | +------ unused
'            | | | | +-------- unused
'            | | | +---------- Up
'            | | +------------ Down
'            | +-------------- Left
'            +---------------- Right

Its probably all pie-in-the-sky stuff and will never happen because it would require a standard approach to games. Standards don't happen in the MMBasic world because too many people have different views on how something should be done.

Having said that, I have high hopes for the library that Tom is working on.

Bill

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:08am 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Here ya go...
PicoGAME Adapter 10 construction pack.zip

Thanks Mick, Maybe I can mount it on a sea-of-holes board with a 'mite underneath.

Bill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:09am 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Or use a PicoGAME and leave off stuff that you don't want? It even fits into a case then.
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:32am 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,

Sounds like it would work (though I wonder if it would be "fast" enough), but I agree with Mick that you may as well build a full PicoGAME and just used that as the "bridge" because you are going to want most of what it provides and if you end up not using it for your original purpose you still have a PicoGAME at the end of the day. Ideally you'd want a PicoGAME that could power itself from the Pico's USB connection which I think the 1.4 PCB does (at least for me) but apocraphally the 2.0 PCB does not (I still haven't built mine).

Mixtel90 said  Port B on the PicoGAME (and the adapter) supports a COM port, if that's of use.

I think it probably makes more sense to make the serial connection to the Pico's USB and leave both game ports free for controllers.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-10-31 19:35 by thwill

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 03:11pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Controlling picomite from MMB4W is definitely possible. This simple terminal program running in MMB4W communicates with a picomite connected via USB as COM13.

open "com13:38400" as #1

do
   a$=inkey$
   if a$<>"" then print #1,a$;

l=loc(1)
   if l>0 then print input$(l,1);

loop until a$=chr$(27)
end

PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Page 30 of 31    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024