Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:10 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : FREE PICOMITES

Page 2 of 3    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:22am 02 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cheers! :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 10:45am 02 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I thought the PIC32MX170F256B-50I/SP was still available at places like Elements14 and probably others. I've got 25 and they are mine......all mine.

PeterB

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:38am 02 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

25??? Are you trying to corner the market?  ;)

I think they're available, ok (one of the few), but cost more than Picos. :) 6.97 UKP each in a pack of 3 from RS here, as opposed to 3.60 UKP for a Pico. I think Farnell have them at 4.84 UKP, if I'm looking at the right version.
Mick

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 05:59am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm sorry but I'm 53 turning 54 and feeling every minuet of it , and the things being harder and the tiredness ,  is all things Ive been hopeful will pass. But the coming attractions you guys are showing has ripped the door off the hinges of my anxiety closet and kicked my anxieties in to overdrive tonight that feeling of getting Dumber may not be just a feeling maybe if it's possible I'm becoming even more Brain Damaged, and pretty soon my lifelong obsession with tech will come full circle and I'll be lucky to figure out how to play pong and do that badly?

I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 06:25am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
Dzien dobry* Paul,

It's been too quiet on TBS recently so if you want then let's discuss this; not that I can ever imagine doing this - too busy on other projects.

What is the use case where a CMM2 solution is better than a small Windoze/Linux PC?

Hey Tom, think back to when Wayne Ratliff, working at JPL, wrote Vulcan which was really a port to an IMSAI 8080 of JPLDIS written in FORTRAN on JPL's UNIVAC 1108. It kept track of a football pool but he couldn't sell it! George Tate and Hal Laslee sold it after they changed its name to dBase II! (There never was a dBase I.) It achieved stunning popularity because it would easily keep related indexed lists of stuff that any small business has to keep. It could link a list of people, to customers, to suppliers, to part numbers, to inventory quantities, to storage locations, to anything else you wanted to link to. You walked up to your TRS80, turned it on, booted TRS-DOS from a floppy, started dBase, and in 15 seconds your database was active.

The CMM2 solution is better because
it's smaller than a breadbox
it boots into the database in 2 seconds
it doesn't run windoze
it doesn't run linux
it will write standard files to a multi GB SD card
it will send text files to a printer, screen or text file
it could easily run from a battery pack
it weighs less than a breadbox
it costs less than a steak dinner

Quote  Surely a database needs network, printer and long term storage functionality. That's all stuff that would require hardware add-ons and drivers writing.

Why would it need a network? It's intended as a single terminal database. It can drive a printer if you restrict it to ASCII text which is all you need for this kind of data. It can store text files on SD cards.
  Quote  You'd almost certainly need the CMM2 to be able to work as a USB host for more than just a keyboard.

Why? If you want to backup the data files you can pull the card, copy it to a hard disk on a PC, and plug the card back in. Or, you could transmit the contents of the data files through a serial interface to a PC running MMBasic which would write it to a disk file.

Quote  What performance do you imagine getting? In pure MMBasic (and excluding its 16-bit graphics and expanded memory) the CMM2 is comparable to an Apple-II running machine code.

That's plenty fast enough. I can't type that fast. And, the expanded memory is vital because it enables you to store entire indexes in RAM which speeds up insertions into the index greatly.
  Quote  I think early versions of dBase may have worked on the Apple-II but you might be expecting the performance of a 286/386.

dBase II worked very well on the Apple-II, and on the TRS80 models I, III, and the II, and 12 (with the 8 inch floppies). They were plenty fast enough. Thousands of small businesses used them with great success.

The CMM2 will be far faster than even the early 386 boxes running dBase under Windows, and the capacity of the SD cards will be far greater than what is needed. I am concerned about he life expectancy of the SD cards which is now rated at 100,000 writes (which is incidentally the same as an SSD).

dBase beat the stuffings out of Access because it could be programmed to do what you wanted instead of tying you up in cryptic forms.

I am not trying to duplicate the performance of DB2 running under CICS which was running under MVS/VM 3.0 on an IBM 390-200 talking through Echostar II to 4,320 terminals from NY to Bangkok the way I did at Pan Am back three decades ago.

And I am not trying to kludge a connection between MMBasic and some SQL (mainframers call it SQUEEL) product running under LINUX. MMBasic doesn't need the LINUX OS! That's one of its strong points.

I am trying to duplicate the software I wrote back in 1989 to keep track of donations, volunteer schedules, and equipment inventory for The Infantile Diabetes Foundation at their store front office in Port Washington, NY, running dBase II on a Radio Shack TRS80 Model III with three easily confused volunteer people banging on the keyboard.
  Quote  * Along with "tak" and "nie" the limits of my Polish, if you don't include haranguing  a dishonest taxi driver in broken German - he blatantly fiddled the tachograph in front of me!

I'm a third generation Brooklynite. My grandparents came in through Ellis Island in the nineteenth century. That's almost the limits to my Polish. I do know that "Polack" translates to "an adult male Pole" and "Polka" translates to "an adult female Pole". I also like to annoy people by pronouncing my name in Polish and forcing them to memorize its spelling.

Pavel Artur Jan Waclaw Lepkowski
Edited 2022-05-03 17:19 by Paul_L

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:17am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If it's any consolation, Rickard, since I retired (almost five years ago) I've no idea how I found time to go to work! I think I've been busier and doing much more interesting stuff ever since then. I've certainly not been going downhill - a little bit slower in some respects, maybe, but nothing serious. e.g. I'm quite happy to reach for the calculator rather than work out stuff in my head now.
Mick

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 07:23am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day.

I just generated a long post and lost it      again.

Mick, back when Covid started started there was concern about supply so I ordered MX170s plus some other bits just in case. "ME MATE MIKE" makes 2 types of bait spreaders. The DELUX version uses a modified E64 board so no spares    oops.
The BASIC version uses the MX170 so no immediate problem.

Rickard, Please do not listen to this grumpy old whatever.
I got into trouble with the Pico by biting off more than I could chew. I should have slid around on my bum before I tried to run.
Electronics is the ultimate. When I was a professional Engineer the most memorable moments were also the darkest. It's that moment when things turn around that makes it worthwhile, particularly if you are working with good mates.
TBS is a very special place even with the weirdoes we have to deal with  

Paul, please stop talking in Polish.

Excuse all the typos.
Edited 2022-05-03 17:25 by PeterB

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 07:44am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeterB said  G'Day.

I just generated a long post and lost it      again.
Type your posts in a text editor and paste them into the browser box.
Paul, please stop talking in Polish.

NO WAY!
THERE WOULD BE A REDUCED CHANCE OF GENERATING A KERFUFFLE SHOULD I DO SO!!
POLAKS WERE PLACED ON THIS EARTH FOR A SPECIFIC PURPOSE!!!
WE ARE HERE TO BEFUDDLE EVERYONE ELSE IN AN ATTEMPT TO GENERATE A KERFUFFLE!!!!

Paul in NY

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 07:50am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul.

Yes somebody else suggested that. I will do it next time.

PeterB

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:50am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  Mixtel90 said  ooh...... I'm interested in the through-hole ones for some of my I/O modules.  :)

I'll take an inventory when I get home.

Tom

Hi Mick, I've PMd you.

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:14am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just seen it - will investigate. :)
Mick

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul_L said  

What is the use case where a CMM2 solution is better than a small Windoze/Linux PC?

Well let's see 10 Reasons

10) new it cost 1 / 2,000 the price new of my Beloved Ohio Scientific Challenger 2P, (the computer that changed my life @ 9 years old when my Dad brought one home for the "Family", and I can directly credit with building my interest in something that kept me from having to Work for a living!)

9) it has 100x the amount of ram as my first PC for 1/100 the price

8) No Bloated windows OS

7) smaller than a Breadbox

6) low power consumption

5) I am the Mayor of Simpleton so when I can make a servo move or a light come on, I just stare in wonder

4) No proprietary file formats, just ASCII Text on FAT

3) works with $10 GoodWill monitor and $1 Keyboard

2) I'm kinda dumb ( ok Not Kinda but REALLY Dumb) I'm a so bad @ C++

1) MOST IMPORTANT it makes me Happy, it a real good feeling to not have a machine fight you
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:14pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  
  Paul_L said  

Well let's see 10 Reasons ...

Hey Rickard,

Actually I think the original comment was mine, addressed to @Paul_L and regarding the specific issue of using the CMM2 to run a simple database for commercial purposes*, it was not intended as a comment on how "fun" one was vs. the other.

I'm well aware the CMM2 is more fun , I'm just always interested in people's opinions on its utility outside of entertainment, electronics experimentation and to a lesser degree education.

Best wishes,

Tom

* On which I will comment further, probably tomorrow.
Edited 2022-05-03 22:23 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:30pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Or going the other way, a Raspberry Pi would be far superior because:

1) It's even smaller than a CMM2

2) There is something similar (dbview) already available for linux. Same problem though - commercial DBase is only for x86 processors.

3) It's a lot cheaper for the same spec of machine.

4) It already supports USB hard drives as well as memory sticks.

5) It already supports networking.

6) It already supports printers

7) It will work with HDMI monitors, USB keyboards & USB mice without any mods.

8) You may even have one sitting around, unloved.

9) You have a choice of cases.

10) It's more easily available (even if you have to buy s/hand).  :)

(Removes tongue from cheek)
Edited 2022-05-03 22:31 by Mixtel90
Mick

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:34pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Or going the other way, a Raspberry Pi would be far superior because:

Mick has saved me from making the argument I was going to.

Quote  1) It's even smaller than a CMM2

And will mount very nicely and completely out of the way on the VESA mount on many monitors.

Best wishes,

Tom

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Raspberry Pi would be far superior because:

3) It's a lot cheaper for the same spec of machine.
4) It already supports USB hard drives as well as memory sticks.
5) It already supports networking.
6) It already supports printers
7) It will work with HDMI monitors, USB keyboards & USB mice without any mods.

you put a very good case for a version of the MMbasic language for the RPi/Raspbian that turns its back on the horrors of the 40-pin I/O connector, and just concentrates on providing a full-screen character + simple graphics interface using USB keyboard (and possibly mouse). nothing fancy, nothing too clever.

it should be possible to create a single executable that runs adequately on ANY of the RPi hardware from original up to RPi 4, under ANY of the releases of Raspbian. the RPi would be bolted to the back of any cheap HDMI monitor, making use of whatever the monitor's native resolution is.

with this one can then implement a database program, or whatever else you wish, that boots into MMbasic then runs the user program immediately. program development can be carried out using the editor built into MMbasic.

Paul: would this replace your Radio Shack TRS80 Model III used by three easily confused volunteer?

cheers,
rob   :-)

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  you put a very good case for a version of the MMbasic language for the RPi/Raspbian that turns its back on the horrors of the 40-pin I/O connector, and just concentrates on providing a full-screen character + simple graphics interface using USB keyboard (and possibly mouse). nothing fancy, nothing too clever.

it should be possible to create a single executable that runs adequately on ANY of the RPi hardware from original up to RPi 4, under ANY of the releases of Raspbian. the RPi would be bolted to the back of any cheap HDMI monitor, making use of whatever the monitor's native resolution is.

I know it may not seem like it Rob, but I am getting there. I don't suppose anyone here is a philanthropic multi-millionaire who would care to pay my wages so I can work on it full time ?

Quote  with this one can then implement a database program, or whatever else you wish, that boots into MMbasic then runs the user program immediately. program development can be carried out using the editor built into MMbasic.

I think Paul is hoping that someone will develop that database program ... but it doesn't seem likely it will occur on spec. and there would be serious questions to answer about why an exising non-MMBasic solution wasn't being used even with the additionaly annoyances that today's bloated off-the-shelf solutions bring.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-05-03 23:15 by thwill

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:02pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Or going the other way, a Raspberry Pi would be far superior because:

2) There is something similar (dbview) already available for linux. Same problem though - commercial DBase is only for x86 processors.

Maybe Harbour?

(it's free software; looks to be fit for commercial use though)

edit: more info here

John
Edited 2022-05-04 00:06 by JohnS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:07pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If it's a database program you want then it doesn't really matter what platform or OS it uses. It's like a web browser - it's a tool that you use. The OS is invisible (or it should be). There's no argument for running MMBasic on a RPi in that respect. It would be far easier and more efficient to use linux.

It would be even better to use the cheapest, nastiest PC clone you can get your hands on. No need to rewrite DBase then. It probably wouldn't cost that much more than a CMM2 either - and would be easier to get.
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:37pm 03 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  10) It's more easily available (even if you have to buy s/hand).  :)

Have you seen the prices the gougers want (because of no availability from normal sources)? I was lucky enough to get a single zero 2 w from Adafruit in December, and have signed up for notification in a number of places.

Zero Ws are also unavailable, and how long ago were they first introduced? Fortunately I have 8 or so, with a couple still unused.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024