Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:14 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite firmware release V5.07.04

Page 2 of 4    
Michal

Posted: 08:29am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WOW.

1. Would it be possible for a group to organize the production of printed circuit boards or complete kits for self-assembly?
2. Wouldn't it be useful to come out with the sound?

Michal

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:55am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The problem isn't with getting boards or kits together, it's with getting them to people. It's almost always cheaper to have 5 boards made and throw/give 4 away than it is for someone to pay the postage charge from another country. Kits are even worse because of the bulk. It's easy to end up spending twice as much on postage as you would  to have a board made and get components locally.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Michal

Posted: 09:22am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

After all, the sum of the purchase costs for individual people will be significantly greater than the total cost of ordering, say, 1000 tiles and a set of components and shipment of sets to these thousand people.
Kickstarter(or something similar) could be launched.

Michal
Edited 2022-05-10 19:26 by Michal

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 09:27am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got 5 of Design #1 (in the construction pack) made by jlcpcb.com for US$7.80 + postage.  That is so cheap that, as Mick said, you might as well throw away the unwanted boards.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:35am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congratulations Peter & Geoff,

"README" said  
Fixes an interaction between interrupts and error messages.

I'm not sure all of this went into the code Peter (or the material on GitHub is not up to date) ? The changes that introduced SaveOptionErrorSkip went into MM_Misc.c, but changes you made to ensure that errors generated in interrupts were independent of those generated in the main "thread" were removed in https://github.com/UKTailwind/PicoMite/commit/f137424cdb63430a4ae801a684ac62ffb156d68c.

I'd appreciate clarification so I can align MMB4L appropriately.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-05-10 19:35 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:38am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the "Construction Pack" the material for Design #4, the PicoGAME VGA, is for the prototype PCB which had a number of errors and not the not the "fixed" 1.4 version.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-05-10 19:38 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:53am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I'm not sure all of this went into the code Peter (or the material on GitHub is not up to date) ?

Just moved to a new PC and somehow that update got lost. Geoff now has the revised binaries and github updated

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:04am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  I got 5 of Design #1 (in the construction pack) made by jlcpcb.com for US$7.80 + postage.  That is so cheap that, as Mick said, you might as well throw away the unwanted boards.

Geoff

Just the postage alone on a "kit" from the UK would be £10.25 and I've no idea what the customs and VAT (sales tax) issues would be since we decided to shoot ourselves in both knees with regards trade with our nearest neighbours.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:19pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  I'm not sure all of this went into the code Peter (or the material on GitHub is not up to date) ?

Just moved to a new PC and somehow that update got lost. Geoff now has the revised binaries and github updated

Sorry Peter, but there have been no updates to the GitHub repo in 20 hours ... and it doesn't usually take any time at all for updates to become visible, has there been an attack of gremlins ?

Best wishes,

Tom

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:36pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  In the "Construction Pack" the material for Design #4, the PicoGAME VGA, is for the prototype PCB which had a number of errors and not the not the "fixed" 1.4 version.

If someone could send me the correct files I will be happy to update the Construction Pack.

matherp said  Geoff now has the revised binaries

They are now up on my website for download.  If you are re-downloading don't forget to clear your cache first.

Geoff

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:50pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  You can't set option display in the VGA version for the obvious reason that the terminal must match what is seen on the screen otherwise the editor wouldn't work properly. It does add an extra column for the terminal in order that a character in the last valid position doesn't trigger a wordwrap

hi Peter. a couple or 4 of questions:

1. does the editor respect the setting of FONT, so that if MODE 1 and FONT 1 are specified then the editor will start up in 80 columns by 40 rows?

2. can the editor's MODE and FONT be specified as an OPTION that overrides the settings of MODE and FONT?

3. if 1. and 2. are "no", then what are the dimensions (columns x rows) available in the editor?

4. does/can the editor make use of the TILE command when in MODE 1 to do syntax colour coding. i'm guessing this would be most useful if the tile width was instead 8 (hence 80 columns of tiles), or could be set arbitrarily.

addendum: forgot to mention. in both GFXterm and TeraTerm the cursor is 'held' in column 80 when a character is printed there, only moving down to the next line when the next printable character is received. this (i presume) emulates VTxxx behavior - for GFXterm i just copied what TT did. what terminal emulator are you using that instead moves the cursor to the start of the next line?

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2022-05-10 22:56 by robert.rozee

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Sorry Peter, but there have been no updates to the GitHub repo in 20 hours ... and it doesn't usually take any time at all for updates to become visible, has there been an attack of gremlins ?

Thanks Peter, I can see the changes now.

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:34pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The latest version of PicoGAME (1.4) is in this post, Geoff.

Version 1.4A is, as yet, untested. It's fine in theory, but I'm treating it as an experimental version at the moment. There's nothing on it that's absolutely necessary, but it has a couple of "nice to have" bits, like keeping DC off the audio output. When my 1.4 boards turn up I'll probably hack one about. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:15pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Thanks Peter, I can see the changes now.

Is crying allowed ?

At the end of cmd_ireturn():

if(SaveOptionErrorSkip>0)OptionErrorSkip=SaveOptionErrorSkip+1;
   strcpy(MMErrMsg , SaveErrorMessage);
}

Unless I'm mistaken:

1) Failure to reset MMerrno = Saveerrno
2) And also in passing, unnecessary repetition of "if" statement

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-05-11 02:33 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:55pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's why I don't use github. The edit was wrong and presumably was superseded in a later edit. IMHO doing updates by deleting and inserting lines is 1970s technology that should have been left there. You should be able to see any of multiple complete versions and have a proper GUI compare available.

Should be

strcpy(MMErrMsg , SaveErrorMessage);
   MMerrno = Saveerrno;

Edited 2022-05-11 02:57 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:01pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  That's why I don't use github. The edit was wrong and presumably was superseded in a later edit. IMHO doing updates by deleting and inserting lines is 1970s technology that should have been left there. You should be able to see any of multiple complete versions and have a proper GUI compare available.

Thanks.

I believe you are "struggling" because you are using [Upload files] on the web-interface instead of proper Git tooling - I think TortoiseGit would meet your requirements.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-05-11 03:01 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:05pm 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The only reason I will ever use git is to share the files. I'm very happy with my dropbox based approach with multiple complete timestamped versions available at the touch of a mouse. The problem arose because I've just migrated to a new PC and managed to get the bulk disk copies out of step with dropbox.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter,

There is a bug in 5.07.04. It may be caused by a remainder from the VGA version.

When you execute the PIO demo program un the user manual (page 145) there is no square wave output on GP0.

I have traced it back to corruption of the PINCTRL register.

pre PIO init (cold boot)
&h10000 clkdiv
&h1F000 execcl
&hC0000 shftcl
&h14000000 pinctl

post init (no changes for CLKDIV/PINCTRL/EXECCTL)
&h5320000 clkdiv - clock divider set for 100kHz
&h1F000 execcl
&hC0000 shftcl
&h0 pinctl  <-------------- PINCTRL is set to 0 (was &h14000000)

Edited 2022-05-11 22:39 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:16pm 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Are you using the PicoMite or the PicoMiteVGA?

I think that that demo uses PIO block 0.  On the PicoMiteVGA PIO block 0 is used to generate the VGA output so only block 1 is available to BASIC programs.

Geoff

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 04:28pm 11 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Geoff,

I used a picomite for the test.
Non VGA.

Originally I started out with the VGA mite and intended to run on PIO1. Could not get that to work, then tried the demo on a standard pico, and cpuld not make that work either.

But found out PINCTRL register is changed. If you do a full PIO INIT (including the registers that according user manual where left unchanged, but actually are changed) it works. Also om PIO1.

So now I will try the move to the VGA mite, on PIO 1.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Page 2 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024