Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:53 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Sprint Layout 6.0

Page 3 of 4    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:49am 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds like a plan, Craig.  

Yes, I always use the AutoSave feature in SL6.
You should also have a UPS on your machine too if you do any kind of work on files that represent lots of hours work, but many don't.

I tend to use a "Backup, backup, and then backup again" kind of triple-redundant method:

1) A copy saved to a local backup USB drive(separate from the working copy)
2) A copy saved to my NAS sitting out in the shed
3) A copy saved to the cloud.

I use iDrive for my cloud storage, and it auto-syncs all the latest files and any files that have been changed every couple of days at 3AM while I am recharging myself.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:09am 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
You should also have a UPS on your machine too

Effectively always the case; I have two Panasonic Toughbooks (internal battery) for the plant floor and for the desk, I have two Windows tablets (internal battery).

Some clown here at the plant will hit the wrong breaker and kill my power but I'm never affected  

Craig

pwillard

Posted: 11:22am 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I got a small Bonus coming and as soon as it get's here I'm getting one of these to cut PCBs

Harbor Freight Sells something similar to those for less than $50. (Though probably not as good)

Habor Freight Small Saw

pwillard

Posted: 05:08pm 29 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The beauty of Sprint is that if you need to do something like this... you just draw it.

So 20 minutes... call it done.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 29 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very professional    

Craig

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:06pm 29 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Meanwhile, elsewhere, "Production board just arrived":

Whatever it is, I ain't buying one  

@pwillard

You have a white silkscreen but how'd you get the black border?

Clearly there're lots of little SL6 tricks that I'm unaware of.

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:08pm 29 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The "border" is a cutting line on layer O. The top silkscreen is on layer S1.
I normally have layer O yellow, but you can set colours.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:37am 30 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  Meanwhile, elsewhere, "Production board just arrived":

Whatever it is, I ain't buying one  

Quite.

I guess it will work fine electrically, but I always like to make my boards look neat and tidy.  There is no electrical reason to do so, and if time is absolutely of the essence, then OK, but if you have the time, I always like to make the boards neat with equal track spacing and 45-degree track angles etc, to give the board some sense of dress.

That's just me though.  

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 05:31am 30 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have zero tolerance for sh*te craftsmanship. Takes the same amount of time to do a neat job.

It has taken a few hours to become proficient but the grid manipulation, the Ctrl key and the Space-bar are your friends in SL-6  

Craig

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:48am 30 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I find the test tool to be very useful to confirm that you have tracks connected to where they should be.  I am always using that tool as I go, and it is a tool I run over every single track as a final sanity check before I order the boards.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:36am 30 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I find the test tool to be very useful to confirm that you have tracks connected to where they should be.  I am always using that tool as I go, and it is a tool I run over every single track as a final sanity check before I order the boards.

LOVE the test tool  

Meant to ask....what approach do you take with 4-layer boards?

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:34am 30 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll third the test tool. :)

Also, click the Solder mask button before you run a CRC check for Silkscreen on pad. You can instantly see if you've got it on a pad (where it matters) or a via (where it may not matter).
Mick

pwillard

Posted: 08:48am 30 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Right, I use alternate colors.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:35am 01 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  Meant to ask....what approach do you take with 4-layer boards?

It depends on what I am doing.
Generally, if I need a lot of tracks in a small space, then four-layer is the way to go.
The default industry standard, is to use the inner layers as ground and power planes, but I tend to use the inner layers for signal tracks, and keep the top and bottom copper layers with a ground-plane.  I find that works superbly well for shielding, but this is not set in stone - it all depends on what I am doing.

I don't think there is any law to four-layer boards, just whatever works best for you at the time.  As mentioned, it is pretty much a default design standard with four-layer, to use the inner layers as ground and supply, but you don't HAVE to do that.

Not sure if that answers your question - "What approach do you take" could be interpreted in different ways.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:03am 01 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've not tried 4-layer yet, but I think I would probably go for:
C1: short traces and links between pins
I1: ground plane
I2: power plane
C2: remainder of traces

This gets the little connections that get in the way clear of the longer runs. It also puts the ground plane as close as reasonably possible to the active devices. Having the ground plane and power plane adjacent gives distributed capacitance, which usually helps a bit with supply decoupling. Obviously any layout is going to be a balance between these, but I think it might be a good starting point.

Always a good idea to bring anything important on the inner layers out to test points. :)

Remember, JLCPCB can't do blind vias - they always go right through the board no matter which layers they are joining.
Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:25am 02 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Having the ground plane and power plane adjacent gives distributed capacitance, which usually helps a bit with supply decoupling.

Good point.
I knew there must have been a good reason for the "Default" of ground and supply on the inner layers, but I could not think why that was, so there you go.

Quazee137

Guru

Posted: 07:18am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pwillard hope you haven't got the Harbor Freight one yet.
  I got it and it ruff on PCB's.

This cost more but I love it.
   PCB Saw

I got it when cutting 200 panelized boards 3 to a board to fit DIN rail boxes.
  The 3rd blade in from the left works GREAT.

Quazee137
Edited 2022-10-03 17:19 by Quazee137

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:21am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said    I find that works superbly well for shielding

This is what interests me the most because I work with a lot of high-power PWM (servo amplifiers).  

Craig

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 07:44am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
This is what interests me the most because I work with a lot of high-power PWM (servo amplifiers).  
Craig

Careful with high power on 4 layer pcb's, the inner layers are generally 0.5oz copper so very thin (unless you pay a lot extra); thus don't handle large currents very well. For high current pcb's the outer layers are better for large current handling and better cooled.

For cutting PCB's a 30 cm long handle metal shears (big tin-snips) cut it like a hot knife through butter.

Cheers
Mike
Edited 2022-10-03 17:49 by Solar Mike

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:46am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Craig

A few thoughts on noise...

Most noise is transferred over power rails.

If you absolutely have to take control power from the load power rail (because it's from a charger/battery setup for example) then filter it, fit a transzorb (or preferably several in parallel) to kill the biggest spikes then follow by a linear regulator. It doesn't need to drop a lot of voltage, but they usually have very good noise rejection characteristics.

After that keep your load and "clean" supply wiring several inches apart (or screen the wiring from your clean supply).

Keep low and high current grounds completely separate, as far back to the source of supply as possible. If the drive circuit itself requires any appreciable current (e.g. a MOSFET driver) then try to route the supply to the drivers back as far as possible to your PCB supply and don't forget the power rail decoupling.

Where the power device is off your PCB get it's drive signal connection as close as possible to it's driver as you can - keep lead lengths short as fast edges over lengths of wire will transmit unpredictably at RF frequencies.

Data lines are better using something like CAT5 than ribbon cable or loose wiring. The return path, twisted with the signal path, helps reduce common mode noise.

Opto-isolation is nice but isn't usually necessary unless your supplies have to be isolated - and if you have to have a common ground for protection purposes, for example, it's only marginally effective anyway. Some spikes will cross the capacitive gap in an opto coupler if it can respond fast enough.
Mick

Page 3 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024