Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:34 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : teraterm no keyboard response

Page 2 of 3    
stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 07:47pm 02 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"So how did you stop the program from MMEdit?"

stanleyella said  in mmedit

OPTION EXPLICIT
OPTION DEFAULT NONE
option autorun off

halted the code and turned off autorun and now Teraterm is working as "normal".. I try not to use a terminal. So happy days and sorry for wasting your time.
I thought option autorun was a terminal command when it was a permanent command.

odd it stops teraterm though??

ctrl-c works after a few seconds, gives several >
Trying again after repower and ctrl-c does nothing?
Edited 2022-10-03 06:03 by stanleyella

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:07pm 02 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It took me a long time to work out where you were getting the device name 'pico' from.

If you were to dig deeper into it by looking at it's properties you could have found the port number but you were making life difficult for yourself.

Try the 'normal' way:

Right click on the windows menu button (bottom left on your screen)

click on 'Device Manager'

expand the 'ports' line

Your Picomites will appear as USB Serial Device(COM9) where COM9 etc is the port number. Here I have 2 picomites connected on  COM4 and COM9

TeraTerm and MMEdit5 only list connected devices but the device might not be a picomite etc but a modem or Bluetooth etc.
In Putty, you have to enter the port number yourself.
You are fortunate that the picomite doesn't care about the baud rate.

The first think MMEDit sends to the device when you select 'load and run' is control-C

If you used the terminals more instead of relying on MMEdit's 'load and run' you would learn more about how to work with the picomites and any other device you end up playing with.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 08:19pm 02 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I thought this was win 7 stuff. Doh!

Thanks but do not like the terminal.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:40pm 02 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Thanks but do not like the terminal.

Any time you do something from the command line, you are using a terminal.
It could be TeraTerm or MMEdit or if you have a picomiteVGA, it could be the built-in terminal.

The way you are using MMEdit,
It send control-C to get to the command line
It then sends AUTOSAVE (at the command line). to upload the program.
It then sends control-Z to signal the end of the program listing.
It then sends RUN at the command line to run your program
It uses the command line to do anything.

You may have other options set but they all use the command-line just the same as if it's you sitting there typing at your chosen terminal.

You may mot like to use the command line/terminal but you do have to know how to.

If you are having difficulty using control_C to stop your program it might be running in a tight loop.
This is why I recommend that you DON'T use AUTORUN until you are sure that there are few bugs and you know that you can stop the program.
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:41pm 02 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You just don't get this, do you, Stan?

Whether you like terminals or not is immaterial - you are using them. Full stop. There is quite simply no other option. :)

Your preference is to dress the terminal up so that it doesn't look as much like one. You want to remove as much of the terminal's capabilities as possible just to make things easier for you. You can only take that so far though as there are things that terminals - and only terminals - can do.

It's well worth spending a little effort in learning to use a PicoMite properly via Tera Term. That system is how it's designed to work and how it's tested. If it won't work with that setup you definitely have a problem.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

pwillard

Posted: 11:55am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Check what Teraterm is doing "by default" in *your* case as it may not be what TeraTerm does out of the box. (IE; You changed teraterm.ini settings) These settings can survive an uninstall and re-install of Teraterm.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 03:52pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pasted from mmedit to teraterm.

Mixtel90 said  You just don't get this, do you, Stan?

Whether you like terminals or not is immaterial - you are using them. Full stop. There is quite simply no other option. :)

Your preference is to dress the terminal up so that it doesn't look as much like one. You want to remove as much of the terminal's capabilities as possible just to make things easier for you. You can only take that so far though as there are things that terminals - and only terminals - can do.

It's well worth spending a little effort in learning to use a PicoMite properly via Tera Term. That system is how it's designed to work and how it's tested. If it won't work with that setup you definitely have a problem.

What can a terminal do that mmedit cannot do?
I ran

OPTION EXPLICIT
OPTION DEFAULT NONE
gui test lcdpanel

which is a command line command yet works in mmedit.

Even Geoff's picomite site recommends mmedit.
It has been recommended that if I can not get along with the built in editor that I should get another interest. I would like others to use mmbasic on picomite as it is good and can be easy for a new user but the attitude for having to use a command line terminal is not going to win new users, imho.
If terminals were so easy then why do most win users not use them and why are linux users a minority?

Do you want the 5 minute argument or the 20 minute option?  
Edited 2022-10-04 02:06 by stanleyella

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 04:01pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  I would like others to use mmbasic on picomite as it is good and can be easy for a new user but the attitude for having to use a command line terminal is not going to win new users, imho.
If terminals were so easy then why do most win users not use them and why are linux users a minority?

An interesting thread.  

What's really interesting in this comment is that I spend my day with 6-16year olds either using Windows (Scratch / Python) or MMBasic.  Since switching to the command line and TeraTerm (Windows) and striaght PuTTY (Linux) I have had almost universal acceptance and actual "wow" moments.

For most, its seems to be the removal of clutter and the "other windows" - yes you need to learn how it works, but for my leaners they see that as part of the fun.

On a roll, I showed my 14yos Powershell and how they can use scripts to rename all files in a directory in one go.  Far "easier" that via the GUI and doesnt need an app.

Horses for courses I suppose.

N
Edited 2022-10-04 02:02 by Nimue
Entropy is not what it used to be

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:24pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  
  stanleyella said  I would like others to use mmbasic on picomite as it is good and can be easy for a new user but the attitude for having to use a command line terminal is not going to win new users, imho.

An interesting thread.  

What's really interesting in this comment is that I spend my day with 6-16year olds either using Windows (Scratch / Python) or MMBasic.  Since switching to the command line and TeraTerm (Windows) and striaght PuTTY (Linux) I have had almost universal acceptance and actual "wow" moments.

For most, its seems to be the removal of clutter and the "other windows" - yes you need to learn how it works, but for my leaners they see that as part of the fun.

On a roll, I showed my 14yos Powershell and how they can use scripts to rename all files in a directory in one go.  Far "easier" that via the GUI and doesnt need an app.

N

"Like." I got my 8 year old grandson to flash leds in gcbasic. At 8 he is used to a mouse and icons ie windows. Did you give the people you taught a windows option?
There seems to be a picaxe loyalty factor with mmbasic ie no negative criticism that is not in gcb forum where all thoughts are considered.
It is a job learning new basic syntax without learning a retro editor.
stan

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:39pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  

An interesting thread.  

N

"Like." I got my 8 year old grandson to flash leds in gcbasic. At 8 he is used to a mouse and icons ie windows. Did you give the people you taught a windows option?
There seems to be a picaxe loyalty factor with mmbasic ie no negative criticism that is not in gcb forum where all thoughts are considered.
It is a job learning new basic syntax without learning a retro editor.
The effort should be coding not the editor.
It is like using an office word processor and writing a novel.
stan

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 04:41pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Stan

Windows in mandated by most schools, if not all schools I work with.  Some have Chromebooks (mostly for Primary age).  So no real choice for Scratch (browser based) and Python (tend to use Replit, as also browser based - and can do JavaScript).  But for BASIC (and I have tried most modern BASICs) - I have found that MMBasic offers the sweet spot of functionality, structured programming, no line numbers and now with the Windows version - just about everything I need.

But I find that learners still can't "see" where their code is.  Windows is like the Borg and everything they type just gets consumed by the PC. Given the obvious windows dressing (sadly no pun intended) at times there is just too much going on.  

Maybe I'm getting old and the allure of BBS's is strong.  Dial up, log in, collect email, log off.  Simple times.

PicoMite and TeraTerm (or PuTTY) seems to focus the mind on the coding -- it seems more "understandable" to them in some manner that their "code" lives in that device there.

I like teaching them different syntax - what is missed is the underlying computer "science" concepts.   Without oversimplifying for them - a loop is a loop is a loop,  and if is and if (etc).  Yes, they need to look up how to do it, but knowing that they can is more than half the battle.

Far far too much modern coding is copy / paste from Stackoverflow!!!

N
x
Entropy is not what it used to be

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 06:03pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  Hi Stan

Windows in mandated by most schools, if not all schools I work with.  Some have Chromebooks (mostly for Primary age).  So no real choice for Scratch (browser based) and Python (tend to use Replit, as also browser based - and can do JavaScript).  But for BASIC (and I have tried most modern BASICs) - I have found that MMBasic offers the sweet spot of functionality, structured programming, no line numbers and now with the Windows version - just about everything I need.

But I find that learners still can't "see" where their code is.  Windows is like the Borg and everything they type just gets consumed by the PC. Given the obvious windows dressing (sadly no pun intended) at times there is just too much going on.  

Maybe I'm getting old and the allure of BBS's is strong.  Dial up, log in, collect email, log off.  Simple times.

PicoMite and TeraTerm (or PuTTY) seems to focus the mind on the coding -- it seems more "understandable" to them in some manner that their "code" lives in that device there.

I like teaching them different syntax - what is missed is the underlying computer "science" concepts.   Without oversimplifying for them - a loop is a loop is a loop,  and if is and if (etc).  Yes, they need to look up how to do it, but knowing that they can is more than half the battle.

Far far too much modern coding is copy / paste from Stackoverflow!!!

N
x

Peace and love but disagree. I taught unemployed people basic in the 80's.
Some took to it others did not but it was nice the people who learnt a bit about basic.
I am pleased your teaching worked using linux.
In order to get a job in 2022 then win c++ would be more useful.
Mmbasic is a modern "basic" system in that it uses a fast controller board but that is irrelevant unless speed is needed, it is not as fast as a 8bit pic that is compiled for plot graphics... but it has blit which is magic.
Mmbasic is great stuff and I want more people to try it. Not picaxe users try gcbasic. It is gcb users try mmbasic.
There must be the fun factor when code works not the head scratching when it does not work.
stan

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:24pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  Pasted from mmedit to teraterm.

As has been pointed out to you several times before, you have to press F10 or type AUTOLOAD before you paste in your code, and when done, Ctrl-Q to terminate. Then you can RUN or EDIT.
Edited 2022-10-04 04:32 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  stanleyella said  Pasted from mmedit to teraterm.

As has been pointed out to you several times before, you have to press F10 or type AUTOLOAD before you paste in your code, and when done, Ctrl-Q to terminate. Then you can RUN or EDIT.

Ta. I will not use the inbuilt editor for as long as I can.
mmedit is like other win ide, familiar and see no disadvantage from using,
I do not care, it works for me.
I want an easy user experience and the win editor and what it really does I do not care as long as it is easy to code and save the code to a win dir and run it.
Coding should be easy and fun or why bother?
Horses for courses. mmedit4 or mmedit5. Both cool but liked multiple v4 at once on screen and copy/paste from one window to another... but just me.
I just think how I started using mmbasic this year first time and what worked for me as a basic pic user. Variables different and data instead of tables and no repeat and ; is not a rem/comment but not difficult to switch... just the ide.

If I used teraterm then how to save code to a win file is not explained afaik.
Lizby's quote says it all... hassle.

And control-c does not work in a prog with autorun off. Never stops the code which is just moving graphics in a do loop.
I have spent some time testing all this so it is my time I have wasted.

I hope mmbasic becomes more popular using rpipico for price and capabilities.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you think working in the very capable notepad++ editor with teraterm connected to a Picomite, and doing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, F10, click on Teraterm, Alt-V, Ctrl-Q (whew, takes more time to type it out than to do it) is too much of a hassle, then by all means, use MMEdit (a great program).

But then if you spend days trying to figure out a problem which would be evident if you were using Teraterm, one is left to wonder, "which is the more hassle?".
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:59pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Stan

The built-in editor is always there, it's a known quantity and it's been proved to be reliable (no offence intended Jim!). Likewise Tera Term has also been very well tested and is known to work well. If there's a problem then the sensible thing to do is to drop back to those until you've found the answer - it's safe to go back to an alternative environment then. If you still have the problem then your environment needs fixing.

CTL-C *DOES* break into *ANY* running program unless you've got stuck in a very tight loop where no key presses will be seen (that's very unlikely as MMBasic is interpreted so the keyboard is scanned on an interrupt anyway) or you have been messing about turning the BREAK key off, in which case it's your own fault. If you can't get CTL-C to work then you're doing something wrong. Post a *small* piece of code that reliably illustrates the problem then maybe people will be able to help. Just saying "it doesn't work" is a good way to get ignored.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 10:11pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  If you think working in the very capable notepad++ editor with teraterm connected to a Picomite, and doing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, F10, click on Teraterm, Alt-V, Ctrl-Q (whew, takes more time to type it out than to do it) is too much of a hassle, then by all means, use MMEdit (a great program).

But then if you spend days trying to figure out a problem which would be evident if you were using Teraterm, one is left to wonder, "which is the more hassle?".

What problems would be evident using teraterm instead of mmedit please?

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some of Stan's code from another post:
OPTION EXPLICIT
dim vdeg!,vin!
cls
for vin=0 to 3.3 step 0.01
vdeg=Map(vin,0,3.3,0,270)
text 0,0,str$(vin)    
text 50,0,str$(vdeg)
next        
do
loop

Function Map(x As Float,rLo As Float,rHi As Float,oLo As Float,oHi As Float) As Float
Map=((Min(Max(x,rLo),rHi))-rLo)*((oHi-oLo)/(rHi-rLo))+oLo
End Function

Did someone mention 'tight loop'

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:37pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Control-C does work form TeraTerm.
MMEdit uses control-C as the first step in uploading a program so there is no difference there.

Stan has a problem with TeraTerm (or any terminal) that he doesn't want to solve.

That's his choice.

He will just have to live without any console output form his programs.
Very limiting but that's his choice.

Quote  What problems would be evident using teraterm instead of mmedit please?

Error messages

Jim
Edited 2022-10-04 08:38 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:29pm 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said   What problems would be evident using teraterm instead of mmedit please?

The fact that (some time ago) you were connected to TassyJim's MMBasic device, not your local picomite, which would not have been possible with TeraTerm.

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024