Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:45 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Game*Mite: handheld game console based on PicoMite

Page 9 of 10    
Volhout
Guru

Posted: 03:34pm 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Tom,

I is a good presentation. It is obvious you where quite tense to get the presentation right. Next time (for a game platform presentation) be a bit more relaxed, or even laughing... Fun is selling...

Regards,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:17pm 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  I present "Game*Mite the Movie" .

It's good!

John

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:30pm 15 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Tom, All,

It looks, and sounds, really good Tom, I can't wait to see the bloopers reel.    

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:40am 16 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  It is a good presentation. It is obvious you where quite tense to get the presentation right. Next time (for a game platform presentation) be a bit more relaxed, or even laughing... Fun is selling...

A fair criticism, I approach making these videos with reluctance, but sometimes I think a project is worth it and I don't think anyone else is going to make them for me.

JohnS said  It's good!

Thank you .

bigmik said  I can't wait to see the bloopers reel ...

It is all blooper reel.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 09:23pm 16 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  I don't think anyone else is going to make them for me.

Well I certainly won't. You did a much better job of it than I ever could.

Not really a blooper but I did notice a bandaid on your finger coming and going.  

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:05pm 20 Feb 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just some housekeeping, the "final" Game*Mite v1.2.0 release is now available:

https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-gamemite/releases/tag/v1.2.0

ChangeLog
---------

Version 1.2.0 - 20-Feb-2024:
- Updated to use PicoMite firmware v5.08.00.
- Updated "Circle One" => v1.1.1 fixing bug where if a button was being held
  down when one of the players won then the game would pause until the button
  was released before announcing the winner.

Version 1.2 RC 2 - 7-Jan-2024:
- Updated PicoVaders => v1.1.3 fixing bug where the game would slow
  down and become unplayable once most of the aliens were destroyed.

Version 1.2 RC 1 - 21-Dec-2023:
- Updated to use standard PicoMite firmware v5.08.00b5.
  Required options are:
    OPTION PLATFORM "Game*Mite"
    OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP6,GP3,GP4
    OPTION AUTORUN 1,NORESET
    OPTION CPUSPEED 252000
    OPTION LCDPANEL ILI9341,RLANDSCAPE,GP2,GP1,GP0
    OPTION TOUCH GP5,GP7
    OPTION SDCARD GP22
    OPTION AUDIO GP20,GP21
    OPTION MODBUFF ENABLE 192
- Changed menu program to support multiple pages and be configurable
  via the "A:/.gm-menu" file:
  - This file will be created on startup if not present.
  - CSV file with entries of the form:
      <menu-text>,<file-path>
    e.g.
      PETSCII Robots, B:/mmbasic-robots/robots.bas
  - If the <file-path> is not absolute then the program will look first
    in "A:/GameMite" and if not found there, in "B:/GameMite".
- Changed startup screen to include image/logo
  - and made easier to configure via ".startup" file.
- Added @Volhout's "Circle One" game (v1.1.0) to the GameMite software.
- Updated the GameMite software to use latest version of 'splib':
    System software => v1.2 RC 1
    PicoVaders => v1.1.2
    Yellow River Kingdom => v1.1.1
    3D Maze => v1.1.1
- Reduced size of the GameMite software through better pre-processing.

Best wishes,

Tom

ceptimus

Posted: 02:27pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought a kit from Tom (thanks Tom), and enjoyed putting it together.  I powered mine from a Li-ion cell I harvested from a discarded vape I found littering the street.  It's a round 1500 mAh cell, so a little larger than the type Tom recommends.  That meant there was no need to worry about the size of the speaker, and I found an old 2-inch diameter speaker in a box of bits - probably I took that out of a broken transistor radio, or clock radio, years ago.

I designed and 3D-printed a case (back) to hold those two bulky items, and put some slots over where the speaker cone fits, to 'let the sound out'.

It works great.  When I get a couple of current, non-mite, projects completed I intend to port some of my previous Colour Maximite (version 1) games to it.  I'll probably start with my Manic Miner port.

If anyone wants the 3D-printed back STL files (or Fusion 360, if I can work out how to share those), let me know and I can upload them to Thingiverse or similar.

Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 02:36pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ceptimus said  

If anyone wants the 3D-printed back STL files (or Fusion 360, if I can work out how to share those), let me know and I can upload them to Thingiverse or similar.

STL File would be great  

you can zip it and upload it here
Edited 2024-03-05 00:38 by Martin H.
'no comment

ceptimus

Posted: 02:42pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here you go.
3D-print_Game_Mite_back.zip

You can see in my photo, I just used some dabs of hot glue, from a hot glue gun, to hold the battery in its 'box', and to secure the speaker.

The greeny-coloured thing lying by the speaker in the photo is just a rubber cover for an XT60 power connector that shouldn't be there - it fell off a shelf and landed there when I was about to snap the photo!
Edited 2024-03-05 00:47 by ceptimus

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for sharing @ceptimus, I love to see the variation in the final builds.

Could you just confirm that the 2" speaker was out of choice, not necessity. I did include one of my little rectangular speakers with your kit didn't I ?

Best wishes,

Tom

ceptimus

Posted: 03:12pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was about to post that I don't think I did have the little rectangular speaker, but I double-checked before posting, and found it lying amongst all the junk on my soldering desk!  

The leftover bits from the kit, I think, are that speaker, a VER.1.3.1 backplate PCB, some stand-offs and a few lengths of header pins.  I'll likely fix the track shorts on the 1.3.1 'backplate' board and build up a second Game*Mite.  I think I have all the parts I need lying around, except for a PAM module, a volume control pot, and the large push buttons - I'll get those from Ali Express or Ebay.

The speaker I actually used, I just measured again, and the outer frame is actually about 57.5 mm diameter - so a little over two inches.  I've no idea where I got it from, or whether that is a 'standard' size.  It sounds good in the Game*Mite though!
Edited 2024-03-05 01:16 by ceptimus

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:16pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ceptimus said  I was about to post that I don't think I did have the little rectangular speaker, but I double-checked before posting, and found it lying amongst all the junk on my soldering desk!  

Good, my children would have missed me if I'd shot the QC guy.

ceptimus said  I think I have all the parts I need lying around, except for a PAM module, a volume control pot, and the large push buttons - I'll get those from Ali Express or Ebay.

If you want me to supply them from my stocks then it sounds like £5-6 worth including postage. Drop me a PM with a list if you want.

Best wishes,

Tom

Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 05:05pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ceptimus said  

You can see in my photo, I just used some dabs of hot glue, from a hot glue gun, to hold the battery in its 'box', and to secure the speaker.

because my battery and speaker have a different shape, I will have to edit it before printing anyway.

Cheers and Thank you very much,
Martin
'no comment

ceptimus

Posted: 07:36pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Martin H. said  
because my battery and speaker have a different shape, I will have to edit it before printing anyway.

Martin

If I've understood it right, this link should allow anyone to access and edit my Fusion 360 design. https://a360.co/3TmWbG3

Don't worry about changing it - I already have a copy of the .stl, and if I want to make any substantial changes, it wouldn't take me long to just start over from scratch.

But maybe it doesn't allow editing?  I don't really understand what can, and cannot, be done using the free-to-use (hobby) version of Fusion 360.
Edited 2024-03-05 05:42 by ceptimus

Martin H.

Guru

Posted: 07:46pm 04 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ceptimus said  
  Martin H. said  

Martin

If I've understood it right, this link should allow anyone to access and edit my Fusion 360 design. https://a360.co/3TmWbG3

Don't worry about changing it - I already have a copy of the .stl, and if I want to make any substantial changes, it wouldn't take me long to just start over from scratch.

No, i edit the copy of the STL File which I downloaded with your ZIP File, so your Source doesn't change.

If I download a Textfile from you and edit it, your file also will not change ;-)^
here my more slim version:

Pico Game Back.zip
Edited 2024-03-08 22:13 by Martin H.
'no comment

Octatron

Posted: 01:41pm 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another Successfully Completed Game*Mite Kit

I enjoyed building Tom's kit, he has done a good job of collecting the parts together, even marking up the resistors.

A couple of questions.

Is there a way of transferring files from Drive B: (SD Card) to Drive A: (internal memory)? I checked the manual but couldn't see any mention.

Is there a USB PicoMite version for Game*Mite? It would be good to attach a keyboard to it for editing etc.

Also it would be good to see some games or other programs using the touch screen on Game*Mite. I don't think I have seen any yet but I may be wrong.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:19pm 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Octatron said  Another Successfully Completed Game*Mite Kit

Thank you for posting your build.

Octatron said  Is there a way of transferring files from Drive B: (SD Card) to Drive A: (internal memory)? I checked the manual but couldn't see any mention.

The Game*Mite hardware is just a standard PicoMite with specific display, audio and some buttons. As per the normal PicoMite you can attach a PC via the USB connection and then use a terminal program (e.g. 'Tera Term' on Windows, 'screen' or 'PutTTY' on Linux or Mac). Once connected you can use the MMBasic console to copy files around. Alternatively use @TassyJim's MMEdit. Eventually I hope to provide tools of my own that will run on the Game*Mite and support basic operations such as moving files between A: and B:

Octatron said  Is there a USB PicoMite version for Game*Mite? It would be good to attach a keyboard to it for editing etc.

It's not on the cards from me. Use a terminal or MMEdit as above. Note you can't attach a PS/2 keyboard to the user-port, the required pins (GP8 and GP9) are not free.

Octatron said  Also it would be good to see some games or other programs using the touch screen on Game*Mite. I don't think I have seen any yet but I may be wrong.

It would be good to see some more games full-stop .

To be honest the touch-screen doesn't really fall within my concept of the Game*Mite, but there was no good reason not to wire it up, so I did.

Currently I'm porting Akalabeth (Ultima 0) starting with @vegipete's CMM2 version, but I'm doing it the long way around by way of getting it to run on MMBasic for Linux first .

Thanks again for buying and building one,

Tom
Edited 2024-04-05 00:24 by thwill

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good job.

COPY fname1$ TO fname2$

(fully qualified as to "A:/", "B:/")
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:02pm 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  COPY fname$ TO dirname$

Quote  Wildcard copy. the bulk copy is triggered if fname$ contains a '*' or a '?'
character. dirname$ must be a valid directory name and should NOT end in a
slash character

e.g.

copy "b:/backupdir/*.*" to "a:"

Bleep
Guru

Posted: 03:51pm 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Octatron,
  Quote  Is there a USB PicoMite version for Game*Mite? It would be good to attach a keyboard to it for editing etc.

I have installed the standard USB version on the GameMite, I did connect the terminal to GP8 & GP9, through J10, which is fine for initial set up, just don't press any of the push buttons, alternatively you can assign the terminal to GP16, GP17 which come out on the J4 connector on the back, I assume COM 1 can be used ok?, you may have to do some blind typing initially. Once you are set up you can use a powered hub (I think that was how I powered it) and USB keyboard connected to the Mini USB socket on the Pico. I have not then done exhaustive testing, running it as a full GameMite, (I did get FlappyBirds running, controlled from the USB keyboard and push button) but it'll probably work, you will probably have to remove the 'option serial console GP8,GP9' if you initially used that, to allow those GPs to be used in programs.
Regards, Kevin.
Edited 2024-04-05 02:00 by Bleep

Page 9 of 10    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024