Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:06 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : DIY grid-tied inverter

Dinges

Posted: 04:07pm 04 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While looking for ideas and circuitry of a simple DIY induction heater, I came upon a site where someone also showed his Ph.D. work which included designing and building a simple grid-tied inverter (550W).

http://scopeboy.com/elec/RE/appendix-inverters3_3.pdf

taken from here: http://scopeboy.com/elec/RE/

All the info to build the design seems to be present, along with the source code for the PIC16F84.

Thought it might interest the odd person here, now or in the future, as we regularly get questions about 'simple' DIY grid tied inverters. This is the first one I see that looks actually DIY-able to me.

Peter. (<-- not interested in the legal aspects of such a project)

GWatPE

Posted: 09:12pm 04 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dinges,

The complexity of this GTI does not seem to be as great as the SMA, Fronius, type units, but this unit is similar in component count to a Latronics PVE1200. The price of commercial units is continually falling, so buying one is still probably the way to go. Making your own gives a repair option if it does goes wrong. The legal aspects would not matter too much in an AC coupled OFF grid application, like I mentioned on another thread, with the cheaper, Chinese manufactured units now available on EBay.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:29am 05 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A good read no less.

For us that have very little understanding of how these things work, I learnt something.
ie how to make AC out of DC.....
not that I need to.

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

HeadsUp

Posted: 06:57am 30 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am interested in the requirements for AS 4777 compliance for grid feed in regards to anti-islanding circuitry

Does anyone have access to the scope of operation or construction , and fail safe systems for the above ?

The above is in regards to 10 - 50 kW systems of 415 V 3 phase

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 08:23am 30 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The anti-islanding circuit is the same in all of them, someone had a good scheme and they all adopted it.

Only problem is if everyone has one it may not work as they will see all the other inverters as being the grid.

Apparently the algorithm works by trying to fight the grid on a regular basis and if there is no grid there, the inverter wins and shuts down, if grid wins it keeps going.

If you do a few searches you will find all you need to know.
Luck favours the well prepared

HeadsUp

Posted: 12:41am 18 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pity we couldnt get a standalone anti-islanding box that we could connect to any ACME brand X inverter

that would open the doors to the zillions of cheapish ebay sourced inverters out there

GreenD88

Posted: 08:14am 21 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tiny Grid Tie Inverter Unit Here's A theoretical Circuit, I don't think anyone's built this one yet.
Licensed Master Plumber / EPA 608 Universal License / 410a Safety Certified / Medical Gas Brazer/Installer

goldhunter_2

Posted: 07:41pm 10 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

interesting reading anyway

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024